The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Possible Sequels For Trek 11
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Federation Councillor

I checked, McCoy (yes, as Eliza pointed out, correctly so, that the charater didn't appear until "Corbomite")

There is nothing in Trek cannon that says he wasn't on the ship as CMO. Yes, I know Piper was the CMO in "Where No Man.." But McCoy could have been on extended leave, or training during that time.

Technically the charater could have been on the ship. Now before all of you throw you Trek Chrnologies at me, we have all been talking filmed stuff is the most true cannon.

This idea follows that.

Ok, smart guy, you might say, but why doesn't Kirk call him "Acting CMO" in "Where No Man.."

Maybe for the same reason he never says Starfleet.... ;-D
Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

Simultaneous posting... Use Pirates as your example instead of LOTR. Filming for the third movie began during filming for the second movie (the scenes shot in the Caribbean) but the second movie wrapped shooting and went into post production before the bulk of the work began on third third movie. There would be no conflict at all with what you've posted in that scenario.
All good points, Eliza, but they point out one difference: as I recall, some scenes for P3 had been pre-written based upon a general story line for that last film. But the writers were signed up to write the last two scripts consecutively to accomplish back-to-back productions over that long haul.

So far we have no indication that is the case for Orci and Kurtzman, based on their earlier comments. Unless they pre-wrote both TREK and its sequel at the same time before production began, and this has not been disclosed. That's a highly risky move, though... which is why PIRATES waited to co-produce 2 & 3, not 1 & 2. Only time will tell, though!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Trying to work around the things that happen in the early episode can be crazy making (and provides loads of fodder for fan fiction).

So, no one has word on Gary Mitchell? It's clear from their banter in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that Kirk, as an Academy upperclassman, taught a class Mitchell took. Kirk also says that he's known Gary for 15 years and Dr. Dehner says Mitchell told her Kirk asked to have him on his first command. All that suggests we should get to meet him in this movie.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Ensign

Smile

Obviously, I don't know what will happen in Trek XI but should there be a sequel I would hope that we get to see some "boldly going where no man has gone before". I would like to see "strange new worlds and new civilizations". I've had about all of the Klingons and Romulans I can hold for a while. Let's do some exploring! That would be my best wish.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_of_gothos View Post
Obviously, I don't know what will happen in Trek XI but should there be a sequel I would hope that we get to see some "boldly going where no man has gone before". I would like to see "strange new worlds and new civilizations". I've had about all of the Klingons and Romulans I can hold for a while. Let's do some exploring! That would be my best wish.
I like my Klingons and Romulans, but I agree. I'd like Trek to move forward. If this films ends with Kirk becoming Captain of the Enterprise, wouldn't that place any direct sequel to this movie inside the actual running of TOS?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

@ Eliza re: Mitchell -- all true, they just haven't revealed a word about it. Yet. I'd be surprised not to see Mitchell in some capacity, but no idea how much or little he'd figure into the plot. Something tells me we won't spend a lot of film time watching Kirk give lectures at the Academy.

@ Livingston re: Kirk getting command and taking the story into TOS -- this would seem inevitable from the first news of the era in which this new film at least begins. They've cast the crew of the Enterprise, so presumably this film (and sequels) would explore the many untold stories of Kirk's five-year mission, never shown in TOS. In effect, coinciding with TOS rather than duplicating it, filling in the many gaps a three-season series never explored.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Admiral

The thing I'm kinda fuzzy on is that these characters in this movie are supposed to be ten years younger than they are in TOS from what I've read, but could be rumors or whatever. There was that rumor of Matt Damon playing Kirk and they said they wanted a younger Kirk so they went with Pine, just wondering if they're planning to make sequels with this new cast that are supposed to happen along side the episodes from the original series of course no one knows that, so kinda dumb question. Basically I just don't know if I'd want to see a replacement cast for TOS cast. The idea of this movie is great I think, setting it up, how it happens, how Kirk, Spock, Bones and everyone get to TOS, but carrying on with this cast, telling stories with this cast that happen alongside with TOS, I don't know about that. I don't know if that made any sense, hopefully some.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
The thing I'm kinda fuzzy on is that these characters in this movie are supposed to be ten years younger than they are in TOS from what I've read, but could be rumors or whatever.
Well, we already know from the casting that they're showing James Kirk in at least two different 'major' age ranges: as a kid, approximately 12 judging from the young actor cast, and later aged anywhere from 21-30. So it's already a mix of what you've heard.

Put it this way: Kirk was about 31 when he assumed command of Enterprise in 2264, Shatner was about 35 in TOS Season 1, and Chris Pine will be 28 this year, so they're all roughly comparable in on-screen appearance age-wise. Pine's a bit younger so he can easily get away with playing Kirk in the Academy and prior to his Enterprise command, then get dressed and madeup to appear slightly older as Captain.

I doubt they'll make Pine play Kirk at 21 for long, but he's a young looking guy and might get away with it. I doubt the 'main story' will have the E-crew playing much younger than their general age range as seen in TOS, give or take a couple years.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

One of my obsession during the early stages was following the ages of the actors and I gotta tell you....they are doing a movie that is extremely close to the series in time frame...yes, you can take people up and down some, but they've cast actors very similar in age to the original cast. In some cases, the new people are older than the original actors. Chekov alone confirms it...if they were really going far "back in time" from the series, he would be significantly younger than the actor they've cast and it's pretty hard to take an 18 year old boy more than a couple of years back (it's somewhat easier when the actor is a female because girls hit full height earlier and tend to adopt the trappings of adulthood {makeup, grown up clothes} at an earlier age).
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I would have to agree. We should focus on 11 for right now but I think they could have many possiblilities for a sequel. Maybe something that takes place before Where No Man Has Gone Before. Maybe they could reintroduce Khan or who knows what else. Let's just wait and see 11 before we talk about 12.