The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Possible Sequels For Trek 11
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Federation Councillor

All great ideas!

How about a New Cpatain being tested with a mission nobody else wanted, something bad, or what others have failed at, and having the crew make it happen?

Eliza-

I did hear about that 3 picture deal too, but that seems to be standard Hollywood contract anymore. Allways think about the sequel.

About Voyager, I could see it coming back as a series of TV films about what happened to them. I don't think Voy would translate well to a movie.

ENT-Basically the same thing. It would fair well as a series of TV movies.

DS9 with the Sisko angle might fair better, but then it'd have to be 3 hours while you gace all the background to everyone who didn't watch the show. But you could include TNG and Voy charaters also.

Or they could do what they did in that lame TNG Novel "Planet X" and have them team up with the X-Men and go to a mutant planet (Yes, this is a real book..belive it or not...groannnnnn) I allways wanted to hear the pitch session for THAT novel...NOT!! LOL!!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

True, the 3-picture contract is to ensure (or at least prepare for) actor availability for future sequels if they arise. This is standard, especially in contracts or franchise films, and has no bearing at all on actual plans for sequels to be made. For now, that question can only be answered by the box office performance and audience reception of the first film -- Paramount won't get that answer for over a year.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

It sort of depends on whether they think this is a "franchise" film. In recent years a number of franchises have worked on multiple movies at the same time because of actor availability (and age issues) and overall cost effectiveness. I thought I'd seen a rumor that this was the case with Star Trek, that they were starting to work on scenes which were to be in the planned sequel.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Federation Councillor

A 3 picture deal also ensures the actors will not "price themselves" out of the roles.

Like Kristie Alley did....remeber her?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
It sort of depends on whether they think this is a "franchise" film. In recent years a number of franchises have worked on multiple movies at the same time because of actor availability (and age issues) and overall cost effectiveness. I thought I'd seen a rumor that this was the case with Star Trek, that they were starting to work on scenes which were to be in the planned sequel.
True, Eliza. Filming extra scenes for future use is somewhat common, but usually because the production will either not have access to that set/location beyond the current schedule, or access to the same actors. But that also implies that a sequel script has been written in order to film scenes for it, and so far we have no indication of that from the writers or Abrams at all. Orci has already said he and Alex have another project in line after TREK (and the strike) anyway.

Also, no indication from the current production schedule that the team is filming multiple movie simultaneously -- that one is usually easy to discover because the production schedules run 'twice as long' as it takes to film one movie.

Granted the date change has opened the door (a sliver) for such changes, but no news from the studio or production hints any such major change has happened or will. So far, which will be a popular caveat for TREK news for many months to come!

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Admiral

You have the current production schedule?

Abrams is a master at keeping stuff hidden. I would not be surprised to find they have at least a headstart on a sequel script (and, so, some scenes that can be filmed... "as long as we're in the transporter room set let's get some different groups and individuals beaming out for future use"...that sort of thing.)

My point is that while it's difficult to discuss a sequel because we don't know what happens in this one, it's a worthwhile concept for discussion.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I'm kinda fuzzy on TOS continuity, if this film will end with Kirk assuming command of the Enterprise then any sequel would be set within the original series itself would it not? Was Kirk captain some time before the show began? I know Pike was in the pilot.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 02-20-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
You have the current production schedule?

Abrams is a master at keeping stuff hidden. I would not be surprised to find they have at least a headstart on a sequel script (and, so, some scenes that can be filmed... "as long as we're in the transporter room set let's get some different groups and individuals beaming out for future use"...that sort of thing.)

My point is that while it's difficult to discuss a sequel because we don't know what happens in this one, it's a worthwhile concept for discussion.
To your last point, true enough!

No, I don't have the production schedule in hand, but others in the production have generally addressed the topic before: Orci said he and Alex had another writing project in line after they finished TREK, which implies they wouldn't be available to start writing a sequel now that the strike is over (since they couldn't write during it).

Also, composer Michael Giacchino had previously discussed beginning work on the TREK score around April, after he finished SPEED RACER and when TREK was mostly if not all completed. His comment implies that Paramount had not scheduled shooting two films at once if they were planning to wrap by April -- it wouldn't seem to be enough time to film two movies simultaneously given their start date of production. Not compared to the much longer shooting schedules of prior double-productions like LOTR, etc.

These are only educated guesses based on available information, not hard facts, but that's all we have to go on for discussion right now. New info can change these theories drastically, of course.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Admiral

That's a good question....indeed, it seems like they're chucking a hunk of the timeline out the window because McCoy didn't join the crew until later (or, he was on the crew before "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and got called away for something else so that old dude was brought in to cover for him...). My feeling in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was that this wasn't the first time the group had been on a mission together. Dr. Dehner lays into Spock with this line: "I know those from your planet aren't suppose to have feelings like we do, but to talk that way about a man you've worked next to for years--"

I don't know....but to me that suggests they've worked together for...oh, years? So there would definitely be room between "first mission together" and "known Star Trek stories" for a few movies.

Have we heard any rumors of Gary Mitchell being part of the crew? If not, that would seem to be a pretty major faux pas....

**edit comment**

Simultaneous posting... Use Pirates as your example instead of LOTR. Filming for the third movie began during filming for the second movie (the scenes shot in the Caribbean) but the second movie wrapped shooting and went into post production before the bulk of the work began on third third movie. There would be no conflict at all with what you've posted in that scenario.

Last edited by Elizadolots : 02-20-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
The next one will probably either pick up where this one leaves off or sometime shortly thereafter...

Supposedly this one ends with Kirk taking command of the Enterprise...so XII will probably be the "first mission"...
We don't even know if that's close to true or not yet.