The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Captain Robau
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Enterprise NCC-1701-A's Avatar
Enterprise NCC-1701-A Enterprise NCC-1701-A is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 253
Question Captain Robau

i'm a little confuesed on this subject. In the film Captain Robau's first name is Richard. but in the novel it describes Robau's first name as Pierre. Also i don't know if people have seen this or not but Captain Robau actually looks like a younger Captain Picard. kind of funny huh lol. Please discuss if you wish
__________________

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Captain Pike's Avatar
Captain Pike Captain Pike is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
i'm a little confuesed on this subject. In the film Captain Robau's first name is Richard. but in the novel it describes Robau's first name as Pierre. Also i don't know if people have seen this or not but Captain Robau actually looks like a younger Captain Picard. kind of funny huh lol. Please discuss if you wish
If you notice in the film as Robau steps off the Shuttle on the Narada a Kelvin bridge crewmember is reading his body vitals (remember he says his heart rate is increasing) on a display on part of the viewscreen. The display says Captain Robau, P.Richard
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Good catch!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Pierre Richard? Unusual first name for Robau as the actor seemed to be of Middle Eastern or Indian/Pakistani descent.
But then again it's United Earth, so why should a guy with Eastern origins not pick a French and an English first name. It's not like we did not have Fench guys who love English beverages and literature before in Trek.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Captain Pike's Avatar
Captain Pike Captain Pike is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Pierre Richard? Unusual first name for Robau as the actor seemed to be of Middle Eastern or Indian/Pakistani descent.
But then again it's United Earth, so why should a guy with Eastern origins not pick a French and an English first name. It's not like we did not have Fench guys who love English beverages and literature before in Trek.
Well King Hussein of Jordan (who loves & guest starred on TNG) has a American wife as well as King Assad of Syria. Their kids have American first or middle names will middle eastern last names. It is probable that Robaus dad married a french woman.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Glacial's Avatar
Glacial Glacial is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 265
Default

I thought it was a very Trek-y mixing of cultures. A Middle Eastern captain with a French, Anglo-Saxon, and Cuban name? Very nice.
__________________
Signatures make my posts more aesthetically pleasing!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
skippyluvs's Avatar
skippyluvs skippyluvs is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stuck on Earth at the moment
Posts: 95
Default

I concur, it's much more appropiate, especially with the movie taking place in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I thought it was a very Trek-y mixing of cultures. A Middle Eastern captain with a French, Anglo-Saxon, and Cuban name? Very nice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
flw's Avatar
flw flw is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Well King Hussein of Jordan (who loves & guest starred on TNG) has a American wife as well as King Assad of Syria. Their kids have American first or middle names will middle eastern last names. It is probable that Robaus dad married a french woman.
Where did King Hussein guest star in TNG??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
flw's Avatar
flw flw is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 96
Default

Yes, Reagan did visit the TNG set. Obama is a devoted Trekkie, by his own admission. And (not to nitpick) the reason I was confused was that the monarch pictured above is Abdullah II, not Hussein.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.