The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > the EVA/HALO suits
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default the EVA/HALO suits

hi,

I know, in terms filming, THE HALO suits (is that wahat they are called?) were different colours for the purpose of distinguishing who each character was during the space dive scene, but I was wondering in terms of the TREKVERSE if Kirk's suit was belonging to a crew member from Life Sciences and Sulu's command gold (though it was gold, I guess, more biege)? or was there no real significance to the colours?

cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

The refusal of the film makers to show Kirk in gold before he did not make it to full ranking Captain puzzled me too. Did they think fans would sit through the movie and get all curious and tensed over the question: When will he wear gold? When will he wear gold? THERE...He wears gold!!!! Yaih!!!!

So he had to run around in his undershirt the whole time. I mean, why?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

I didn't ask your opinion of the movie, pal,.

my question is is quite easy to read. go sell your hate someplace else.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Lord Tribble's Avatar
Lord Tribble Lord Tribble is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: K7
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
hi,

I know, in terms filming, THE HALO suits (is that wahat they are called?) were different colours for the purpose of distinguishing who each character was during the space dive scene, but I was wondering in terms of the TREKVERSE if Kirk's suit was belonging to a crew member from Life Sciences and Sulu's command gold (though it was gold, I guess, more biege)? or was there no real significance to the colours?

cheers

The engineer had a red one and sulu had a yellow-ish one, matching their departments. so yeah it probably was a science one. The ship likely doesn't have black ones as those wearing black shirts technically aren't supposed to be on duty/ officers/ whatever.
__________________
Tribbles. The cause of, and solution to all lifes problems.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
I didn't ask your opinion of the movie, pal,.

my question is is quite easy to read. go sell your hate someplace else.
Cough... how was your day, honey?

You asked wether there was a reason for Kirks blue skydiving suit. And I answered, no, there was no reason given in the movie. The only reason I can come up with is, that Abrams thought it would make the fans go excited to see Kirk wearing gold, so he spared it for a special moment. And I expressed that I found that a little strange.

Now, excuse me, because I have to leave and go somehwere else now to sell my hate. See ya, sugar.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tribble View Post
The ship likely doesn't have black ones as those wearing black shirts technically aren't supposed to be on duty/ officers/ whatever.
everyone was wearing the black uniform, it's just that Kirk was never issued the department overshirt because he wasn't supposed to be there
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
You asked wether there was a reason for Kirks blue skydiving suit. And I answered, no, there was no reason given in the movie.
Bull, you did not answer NO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Botany Bay's Avatar
Botany Bay Botany Bay is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
Bull, you did not answer NO.
Yes, I did!
Is this a five minute argument or a full half hour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
The refusal of the film makers to show Kirk in gold before he did not make it to full ranking Captain puzzled me too. Did they think fans would sit through the movie and get all curious and tensed over the question: When will he wear gold? When will he wear gold? THERE...He wears gold!!!! Yaih!!!!

So he had to run around in his undershirt the whole time. I mean, why?
show me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Lord Tribble's Avatar
Lord Tribble Lord Tribble is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: K7
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
everyone was wearing the black uniform, it's just that Kirk was never issued the department overshirt because he wasn't supposed to be there
Exactly, He didn't have a coloured overshirt as he wasn't supposed to be there. They only have jump suits for on duty officers, i.e. those in coloured shirts - red, blue and yellow
__________________
Tribbles. The cause of, and solution to all lifes problems.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.