The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > how strong is the japanese market for trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

OMG! This just turned into an ANIME debate?! Now the fur's really gonna fly!

(Breaks out the popcorn to watch the Otaku have at it.)

(On a personal note...my favorite anime is Black Lagoon. Gotta love Revy Two-Hand.)

Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
Gundam? Did you really just use Gundam to prove your point? How old are you 10?
43, smarta**

Quote:
Gundam was at its very height DECENT ... UC stuff ... emo ...new Macros series? Robotech Shadow Chronicles is a superior ... I mean really, what else are you going to name as fine sci fi? Voltron? Gatchamen/G-Force?
Dude, chill. I was talking about space opera, not science fiction. I know the difference. Do you?

Quote:
Really, if you wanted to make your point you could have just said Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex. I wouln't have argued with you there as that's some damned fine sci-fi.
I want to hate on you for trying to spit on me, but I love ya too much because you brought up GitS. I love GitS. Seriously, absolutely love it in a I-have-purchased-way-too-many-Japanese-and-Domestic-versions-of-it love it. My wife mocks me better than you do because of the shelf (I call it a shrine) covered with the Major, Batou, and Tachikomas. I translate GitS mooks for fun. I've been working on a SAC role-playing game on and off for years.

Believe me, I know my good Japanese science fiction, but that's not what I was talking about (and there isn't a lot of it). I was talking about their version of space opera in response to "how will the Japanese try to copy Trek". I thought about GitS because it is great science fiction, but it's a very different type of sci-fi than Trek, don't you agree?

Besides, as much as I love this new Trek film, it's not very good science fiction at all.

Quote:
But you instead went and used Gundam! Go stand in a corner and think on what you've done.
I'll admit that, given the scope of all the series, it was a really bad choice... if you admit the Hiroshima quip was a really bad joke.

GROKNARD - A Retrospective of Star Trek RPGs
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Heh....just to get under the skin of some Otaku, I would sometimes talk like a hick, and say:

" 'Scuse me, bub. Ah'm lookin' fer me that thar Japanese cartoon called Dragonballs!"

To which they would indignantly reply:

"Excuse ME!? Those are not CARTOONS! They are ANIME! There is a difference! And it's not Dragonballs....It's Dragon Ball Z!"

To which my reply was:

"Wow....you really put a lot of thought into that, didn't'cha, boy?"

Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Vice Admiral

You want some dragonballz? 'Scuse me while I whip this out!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Saint John View Post
I'll admit that, given the scope of all the series, it was a really bad choice... if you admit the Hiroshima quip was a really bad joke.
Deal.

Since it seems like you're a GitS fanatic you'll probably be more up to date than I am, anyword from Production IG on a 3rd season? The movie was nice but hell I want another season. If garbage like Bleach and Naruto can run on far longer than their expiration dates why can't SAC continue.

As for Space Operas, depends on your definition I suppose, but I think Cowboy Bebop would definitely be at the top of that short list.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Deal.

Since it seems like you're a GitS fanatic you'll probably be more up to date than I am, anyword from Production IG on a 3rd season? The movie was nice but hell I want another season. If garbage like Bleach and Naruto can run on far longer than their expiration dates why can't SAC continue.

As for Space Operas, depends on your definition I suppose, but I think Cowboy Bebop would definitely be at the top of that short list.
I also considered referencing Bebop, but I had to push away the image of Keanu Reeves.

No, I've been keeping my eye out for news on more GitS, but nothing. I'd just be happy with another SSS type movie. It's possible that the rights are temporarily suspended while Spielberg/DreamWorks have the rights to the live action film.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Anime but off topic... believe it or not I had no idea until yesterday that a live action Akira is finally in the works. Supposed to be broken up into two movies and released 2011 or there abouts. I'm skeptical but hopeful it will be good.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I got a boatload of very cool exclusively Japanese merchandise, including an actual theatrical program guide, from a friend over there, and posted about it on my blog:

Click to see more!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Bandai, Furuta and Konami. Need I say more?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Bandai, Furuta and Konami. Need I say more?
Yes, you need to say that you heard that all of them have new Star Trek products in the pipeline!!

Sadly, I haven't heard anything of the kind yet, but I'm holding out hope. I would LOVE to see Furuta release all these new starships in the same scale as their previous collections. I'm sure they eventually will, but it's usually such a long time between announcement and release.