The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > how strong is the japanese market for trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Default how strong is the japanese market for trek

any thoughts or info?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Ensign

I've heard it's not really good for Trek. That's surprising to me, as I'm from there. Sci fi is pretty big in Japan.
If Abrams replaced the Narada with Godzilla or Gammera, then we'd have a winner.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Ensign

Perhaps it's too early to tell?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The following there is loyal, but small. As far as I know, none of the post TNG shows caught on in a big way at all, nor any of the films in years. OTOH, they have had a steady stream of starship toys from various manufacturers for years, more than I can say for here in the west. Japanese fans love their tech.

Here's a fan site where you can follow a bit of the buildup to the premiere of the film there: http://www.stfan.com/

GROKNARD - A Retrospective of Star Trek RPGs
Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Federation Councillor

I think when the Japanese do get into something, they do it in a big, big way. If this films works with them, it could net a small fortune for itself.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Ensign

A lot of new shows like Lost and 24 put foreigners on to help sell the media in foreign markets. Usually Brits but not always.

On trek, they had a Japanese, an African, a Russian, a Scott but these weren't added to help foreign sales. It was Gene Rodenberry's vision of the future. Mankind would stop killing each other and we'd all be one big happy family.

WWII was a fresh memory for many in 1960's. The Cold War was at it's peak with the US spending 12% of GDP on the war effort, we spend less than 4% today. Kids were told to hide under their desks during nuclear strike. Putting a Japanese and Russian on the cast was a bold move.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Ensign

^ Although it does help, I don't think that is the ultimate point.
The point is in the future humanity will be a much more intermingled species. Today most "races" are usually confined within their cultural or geographical affiliation. You would expect that as more social progress occurs, more cultural mingling and interracial relations that the planet would be far more blended (more mixed race people like Jessica Alba, Obama and Tiger Woods, then also white people in asia, asian people in the carribean, african people in siberia, so on and so on.) and I think this is what the writers have always tried to resonate. I think it's realistic and thoughtfull on their part.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Last month's "Geek" magazine had an article on Japanese Trek fandom. Basically, it's pretty tiny. (Not enough giant killer robots, or ultra-tall girls in school uniforms I guess.) But, Japanese culture seems to run about ten to 15 years behind us. (I remember seeing video reports of how the U.S. "1950's" revival was a fad in Japan after "Happy Days" premired there, but that was back in the 1980's.) If this Trek film gets a good release, we could be opening the floodgates to their fandom.

(On the flipside of that, I wonder what the Japanese rip off films of Trek will be like? Remember, Beast From 20,000 Fathoms inspired Godzilla... Star Wars gave us Message From Space... and James Cameron's Aliens was a major inspiration for Gunhed. What strange, mirror universe will they come up with, if they feel the Trek film is worth emulating?)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Saint John View Post
Wow, a sweeping generalization based on a 30 year old childrens' TV show, and a joke that's in really poor taste?

The Japanese approach these things (not to mention their television and film production budgets) much different than we do. Their version of popular live action sci-fi is Ultraman. But if you look at decades of anime, from Space Battleship Yamato ("Star Blazers" here) and Macross in the 70s to the endless Gundams and series such as Crest of the Stars and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, you'll find that the Japanese can do space opera just as good as we can.

If the new Trek film is a big hit over there, I'd bet someone will try to capitalize on it by reviving LoGH or Yamato (again). But a live action film or show is really unlikely. They don't have the population, budgets or marketability to justify it.
Gundam? Did you really just use Gundam to prove your point? How old are you 10? Gundam was at its very height DECENT not exceptional, and that was all the UC stuff (08TH MS Team was their peak far as I'm concerned). Nowadays the UC stuff is dead and we have emo remakes of Gundam Wing, which are an absolute joke.

And have you bothered to watch any of the new Macros series? Robotech Shadow Chronicles is a superior update to anything Macross has been doing lately.

I mean really, what else are you going to name as fine sci fi? Voltron? Gatchamen/G-Force?

Really, if you wanted to make your point you could have just said Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex. I wouln't have argued with you there as that's some damned fine sci-fi.

But you instead went and used Gundam! Go stand in a corner and think on what you've done.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

The japaneese actually tend to run ahead of the US.