The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Bob Orci caught out by fans - great fun interview!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Ensign

Default Bob Orci caught out by fans - great fun interview!

Quote:
TRANSPORTERS

moauvian moaul: …How could Kirk and Scotty beam aboard the Enterprise from Delta Vega - half way across the galaxy? I know Spock gave Scotty the formula but, if they could transport at that range why the need for starships? Why a Star Trek to begin with? Am I missing something and wouldn’t that undermine most of the plots on ALL the various series and movies?

BobOrci: Interesting. We discussed that very question. The short answer is that it is entirely too dangerous. Scotty was almost killed, and we even had a line before they beam out where Scotty says, “If the calculation is off by even .oooooox (insert crazy number) we could end up 3 meters OUTSIDE the ship!” Remember, Spock Prime actually made the calculation. It’s possible there’s something key that he did not tell Scotty so that he could not reproduce the results. Interesting.

KELVIN LAYOUT

martin:
When Robou (sp) goes to the shuttle bay, why does his very construction site looking elevator come down to the floor instead of coming up? Isn’t the shuttle bay at the top of the ship?

BobOrci: Oh-oh! Let me go study the matter and get back to you! I can’t remember now since the Kelvin is introduced mid-rotation — I can’t remember which way is up! Nice.

SHIELDS

RaymondJ:
…when the Kelvin and later the Enterprise are under attack, and the helmsmen claim “the shields are at 32%” for example, incoming debris and weapons smash the ship as though there were no shields at all. Shouldn’t they bounce off or be deflecting until the shields were no longer there?

BobOrci:
I too miss the glow of the egg-shaped shields. I can’t fully speak for JJ on that one, but I can imagine that he felt it might have seemed TOO protective and somehow rob the scenes of the visceral danger of SPACE right out the window (as evidenced but the genius shot he came up with where a poor crew member gets sucked into SILENT SPACE. Shields seemed to get in the way of that, and I seem to recall conversations about different ways to think of the shields (sealing the hull damage) and providing some kind of electro-tension effect on the hull itself that increased it’s natural strength or something. Nonetheless, I feel ya!

STARFLEET’S MISSION/FEDERATION ETHICS

ety3: My only real concern with the film comes near the end when Kirk offers an olive branch, and Spock — almost jokingly — questions it. Not to get all high-minded and what-not, but isn’t Spock’s reaction antithetical to the peaceful exploration mindset that Starfleet is supposed to imbue in its members? If Spock had been flat-out angry about the olive branch, that would, at least, have made some sense, character wise. But to play it off as a joke?

BobOrci: I can understand that. Entertainment value weighs heavily there!

Matt Wright: One of my concerns with the film is the total glossing over of the fundamentals of what the Federation is and stands for. There is no dialog about the philosophy of explorations, tolerance, etc. “Humanitarian and peace keeping armada” sounds like some possibly very dangerous doublespeak that opens a can of worms about going after WMD’s, etc.

A second comment I have is that now with Vulcan gone there is a great chance to intelligently discuss what a people displaced from their home feel. This Diaspora could be used with great care and offer commentary on the current state of post-colonial peoples. DS9 did something somewhat similar with the Bajoran people very well.

BobOrci: So you agree there is one line at least, even if you don’t like it LOL! You’re right that It is a slight contradiction worthy of being labeled Orwellian double-speak. The question I would pose is, does that contradiction somehow reflect a truth or perception about power in our times?

As for exploration, the last line of the movie mentions that. But you are right that this movie is not about the exploration of the five year mission, it’s about what happened to get us there.

Agree with you about Vulcan. Juicy territory.
Read More (fans argue with Bob on Time Travel mechanics and how it doesn't make any sense in the movie with his method)

I also really liked the idea of a sequel based on Vulcan's destruction focusing on the social impact of it.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize
I also really liked the idea of a sequel based on Vulcan's destruction focusing on the social impact of it
Oh yeah!
An issue with many repercussions that has been bouncing around in my brain as well ever since seeing the movie. I've been thinking of this issue mightily and how I would write a sequel using the beats provided in the film.

Imagine how truly messed up the situation would be (in the sequel), not only on an audience viewer's philosophical level, but political and moral level to have the Vulcan refugees be given sanctuary on Romulus!

[Those wanting morality plays... there ya be!]

Due to Old!Spock's familiarity with the culture that might be arranged. These would also be the only remaining people able to infuse the necessary Vulcan gene pool with variety to survive.

What would that say of the Federation and it's policies?
Would they approve of the secession?
Oppose it?
Would a Federation mandated protectorate of Romulus result?
All out war?

To borrow a Buffy phrase:
"Where do we go from here?"

Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Oh yeah!
An issue with many repercussions that has been bouncing around in my brain as well ever since seeing the movie. I've been thinking of this issue mightily and how I would write a sequel using the beats provided in the film.

Imagine how truly messed up the situation would be (in the sequel), not only on an audience viewer's philosophical level, but political and moral level to have the Vulcan refugees be given sanctuary on Romulus!

Due to Old!Spock's familiarity with the culture that might be arranged. These would also be the only remaining people able to infuse the necessary Vulcan gene pool with variety to survive.

Oppose it?
All out war?

Imagine it was agreed for them to have a part of Andorian land and this could act as the seeds for their future conflicts, a situation to mirror the Middle East crisis? I think Paramount have something here. A sci-fi political sequel with tragedy and action. Some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica was when it did the same, incorporating suicide bombers and occupation etc
Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
I think Paramount have something here. A sci-fi political sequel with tragedy and action.
An Andorian connection seems a bit of a stretch.
Inhospitable world and no benefit to be there.
Not seeing why Vulcans would accept such an offer.

May I add an extra beat from the movie that I didn't include above?
The Klingons.
The loss of those 47 ships is going to be a sore point. They know it was Romulans. They may even know it was from a one-of-a-kind ship. They may even know it was future Romulans. My thinking is that level of distinction isn't real relevant to them on any level.
So, add in Klingons going to war with the Romulans to that mix.

Now what does the Federation do?
Anything?

Last beat from movie to be considered; the Federation were converging on a particular system with all of its ships.
Why?

--------------
It was at this point that the whole Khan thing started to develop and after giving it some thought I decided that Khan could be interesting after all, provided he was given a new twist instead of the simple "revenge" plot.
That's when the beat of "Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven" came in as an alternative view to a Khan story. He was supposed to be a super-genius. That could be played up. Kirk (with the help of Spock) were only able to barely defeat him before, even then it took a traitor in his group the first time and knowledge he didn't have on the second.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Commander

Perhaps the Vulcans could be attempting to settle on a world claimed by another race?

These aliens may be unknown to the Federation, and be attacking the newly established Vulcan colony, the Federation goes in to protect it, but these aliens are not very talkative. They have a language so alien, that nobody could understand them.

So of course, the Enterprise would be sent there to deal with this, and since their warning signals and demands for the intruders to leave were never recognized, it takes the skills of Spock and Uhura to figure it out.

Meanwhile, they need to balance their response militarily, and try to get to communicate.

Perhaps the new Vulcan world may have some unidentified ancient temples on it, and it could even be a holy site for the other aliens?

This story has legs !!!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Oh yeah!

Oppose it?
All out war?

I really do hope that they follow up on Vulcan in the next film, it's a golden opportunity to really delve into a dislocated population and the effect that would have on the Vulcan way of life etc

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Perhaps the Vulcans could be attempting to settle on a world claimed by another race?

These aliens may be unknown to the Federation, and be attacking the newly established Vulcan colony, the Federation goes in to protect it, but these aliens are not very talkative. They have a language so alien, that nobody could understand them.

So of course, the Enterprise would be sent there to deal with this, and since their warning signals and demands for the intruders to leave were never recognized, it takes the skills of Spock and Uhura to figure it out.

Meanwhile, they need to balance their response militarily, and try to get to communicate.

Perhaps the new Vulcan world may have some unidentified ancient temples on it, and it could even be a holy site for the other aliens?

This story has legs !!!
GROAN let's not use Star Trek to reproduce the real world in detail, ok?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Yeah! Let's do something with scantily clad female space pirates instead! Arrrrrr!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Vice Admiral

The Black Pearl in space?

Shiver me timbers!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eridani View Post
GROAN let's not use Star Trek to reproduce the real world in detail, ok?
Not reproduce the Real World, but a good story can have parallels to it.

Besides, the whole situation here is a case of nobody understanding what the Alien's language means, and nobody even knowing the Vulcan's new world belongs to anything other than an ancient civilization.

It's really an embellishment on the beginning scenario of Arena, where the Aliens turned out to be the Gorn