The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Everyone who did NOT enjoy the new movie!!!!!!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
While I loved the movie, this seems like the best place to state the very few things I would have CHANGED the movie.

1. In all three ships, (Kelvin, Narada, and Enterprise), there were places in the movie where instead of "feeling" like we were on a ship, it felt like I was in a warehouse, not on a ship. One of the things I always loved about Star Trek, (series or movies) was that feeling that you are on a ship flying through space.

2. Waterlines and pipes. There again, it seemed at times, like I was at a SAMs store instead of on a ship

3. What was Neros motivation? After having 25 years to "cool" down, why not spend the time saving the home planet?

4. The Jellyfish. It seemed more like a "windup" toy than the Federations fastest ship.

Now, these things said, I really enjoyed the movie, I've seen it 4 times (so far) It is good to see Trek at the movies again. I just wanted to share some feelings. Thanks

It occurs to me: I wonder if some of this stuff was influenced by the new Battlestar Galactica? (the water mains, the pipes, the very earth-borne looking technology in the engine room) The new BSG had similar trappings when it came to the bowels of the ship.

I didn't lose that sense of being on a starship at all though, either in the new movie, or in the new BSG. I thought it was pretty realistic.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I think I would have spent just another month or two in the writing... clean up all the plot holes, and work at making Nero a little more menacing. (or maybe dump Nero entirely, and make the time hole completely natural.) I would have dumped the "core jettisoning" BS at the end, I would have dispensed with the "transwarp beaming" BS, and I would have had Spock Prime and young Kirk meeting up in a more inevitable way, rather than as a series of highly improbable accidents. Say, like meeting at the Federation outpost, instead of in a random cave.

In short, I think I would have planned it a bit better, before I began spending Paramount's $150 million.
Totally agree.

Problem 1: Nero. The more I think about him, the more dumping him entirely appeals to me. Why not making the Narada a second planetkiller, a new doomsday mashine? Prime Spock attempting to use his experience with the first planetkiller to destroy this one too?

Problem 2: The core jettisoning would have worked if Scotty would have explained, that the black whole is contracting space at the same rate as the warp drive is warping it "as if someone pulls a carpet under your feet whilst you are running away". Then Spock could have said something about the black holes event horizon, Scotty could have jettisoned the impulse engines reactor (because they needed the warp core) and then a load of deuterium plasma too. Because, you know, a pure matter-anti-matter explosion doesnt create a blast without a transmitting plasma. That could have kicked the ship over the event horizon of the black hole and swoosh, the warp field takes full effect.

Problem 3: Why to make the Enterprise go to the Laurentian System to meet with the fleet and cause a need for a transwarp beaming stunt, when the Enterprise could have stayed in the vulcan system and wait for the fleet to gather there? Spock could have given Kirk an assignment on the ice-world. Something like: "Cadet, the planetkillers remaining technobabble effect still jams our transporters and subspace communication. On this planet is an oldfashioned comunications array using quantum entanglement as means of comunication. It is unaffected by the planetkiller. You will go down to that planet, make your way to the quantum communication array located there and contact Starfleet Command. Warn it that we have a free planetkiller wreaking havoc, while we will stay here, search for survivors of Vulcans destruction and wait for the arrival of the fleet."

Then make Spock order Kirk to use a lifepod instead of a shuttlecraft, because he obviously just wants to get rid of the annoyance, that is Kirk.

Then have Prime Spock be there for the same reason, also attempting to make his way to the communications array. Thats why Kirk and Spock meet. And finally have Spock say something like: "Therefore I had to find this quantum communications array, to contact earth, warn it of the planetkiller. If memory serves me, then a young and ambitious and highly talented starfleet engeneer serves there at the moment. He could be of great help to get you back to the Enterprise."

Now Scotty doesnt need a transwarp beaming through the galaxy and the meeting of the three is far less coincidental. Scotty now just needs normal beaming plus a little trick to overcome the remaining technobabble effect that jams beaming. Much more believable.

Do I get my cookie now?

Last edited by Botany Bay : 05-19-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
It occurs to me: I wonder if some of this stuff was influenced by the new Battlestar Galactica? (the water mains, the pipes, the very earth-borne looking technology in the engine room) The new BSG had similar trappings when it came to the bowels of the ship.

I didn't lose that sense of being on a starship at all though, either in the new movie, or in the new BSG. I thought it was pretty realistic.
I gotta agree with this. Ever been on a navy ship? There's exposed piping all over the place, snaking above your head, down the walls, etc. They're not just for water and gases but for electrical conduits and such. I thought Engineering looked fine.
And besides, who knows what a starship's Engineering interior will look like 200 years from now? It may look exactly like in the movie - who's to say?

Oh, what would I change? I think some of the plot holes could have been cleaned up, but otherwise leave it be.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I think I would have spent just another month or two in the writing... clean up all the plot holes, and work at making Nero a little more menacing. (or maybe dump Nero entirely, and make the time hole completely natural.) I would have dumped the "core jettisoning" BS at the end, I would have dispensed with the "transwarp beaming" BS, and I would have had Spock Prime and young Kirk meeting up in a more inevitable way, rather than as a series of highly improbable accidents. Say, like meeting at the Federation outpost, instead of in a random cave.

In short, I think I would have planned it a bit better, before I began spending Paramount's $150 million.
Unassailable Logic on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
While I loved the movie, this seems like the best place to state the very few things I would have CHANGED the movie.

1. In all three ships, (Kelvin, Narada, and Enterprise), there were places in the movie where instead of "feeling" like we were on a ship, it felt like I was in a warehouse, not on a ship. One of the things I always loved about Star Trek, (series or movies) was that feeling that you are on a ship flying through space.

2. Waterlines and pipes. There again, it seemed at times, like I was at a SAMs store instead of on a ship

3. What was Neros motivation? After having 25 years to "cool" down, why not spend the time saving the home planet?

4. The Jellyfish. It seemed more like a "windup" toy than the Federations fastest ship.

Now, these things said, I really enjoyed the movie, I've seen it 4 times (so far) It is good to see Trek at the movies again. I just wanted to share some feelings. Thanks

My biggest problems were with the plot.
I could really go with all the sets again but the fact that they didn't get this story down like the 25 years of Nero doing nothing and this suposed ruthless villian leting Spock Go don't ring true.

The silly warehouse sets were just insulting on top of injury represented in the plot. This movie is just like the Star Wars prequels...beautiful and full of action but very very little substance and story telling.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Totally agree.

Problem 1: Nero. The more I think about him, the more dumping him entirely appeals to me. Why not making the Narada a second planetkiller, a new doomsday mashine? Prime Spock attempting to use his experience with the first planetkiller to destroy this one too?
There is a Star Trek New Voyages episode with this plot... it would have been a great story for this reboot, but complaints would have been made that JJA was ripping off New Voyages!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
There is a Star Trek New Voyages episode with this plot... it would have been a great story for this reboot, but complaints would have been made that JJA was ripping off New Voyages!
Well, that would have been a matter between Cawley and Co., Paramount and a discreet paycheck.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

They can do whatever they want...Cawley is the one using Paramounts franchise.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
They can do whatever they want...Cawley is the one using Paramounts franchise.
True. But a happy Cawley doing marketing for the new movie is preferrable over a pissed off Cawley heating the debates in the web.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Better to join him than fight him.
Indeed.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvideo View Post
I gotta agree with this. Ever been on a navy ship? There's exposed piping all over the place, snaking above your head, down the walls, etc. They're not just for water and gases but for electrical conduits and such. I thought Engineering looked fine.
And besides, who knows what a starship's Engineering interior will look like 200 years from now? It may look exactly like in the movie - who's to say?
Yep, been on an aircraft carrier. That was impressive, both within and without.