The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Everyone who did NOT enjoy the new movie!!!!!!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant

Default Everyone who did NOT enjoy the new movie!!!!!!!!!

This is a serious question. Lets say that YOU were put in charge with making Trek 11. ANY concept, any characters. Give me a brief summary of what you would have done.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Ensign

Well, I happen to have really liked the film... that said I can give you the 'alternate reality' version if I were somehow in charge of producing/directing/writing this Star Trek film..

I don't think I would have started us out meeting Kirk as a cadet. I would have introduced him as a Starfleet commander that is about to be promoted to Captain at a rediculously young age.

Young captains are fine, I didn't like a cadet being advanced all the way to Captain (skipping about 6 ranks) to land the command chair on the Federation flagship.

I still would have shown him as a troubled youth, and I probably would have kept the time travel element in the story.

Overall, the plot would go something like this:
Kirk's father is killed while on a deep space mission like the original film due to time-travelers...
Kirk grows up and decides to join Starfleet to get at the alien bastards that took his father away. Then the story would have followed a sort of "First Contact" arch as Kirk takes command of the Enterprise from an injured/killed Captain Pike and followed a very Moby Dick storyline where Kirk plays out the Ahab role... but it is Spock with his calm logic that brings Kirk back from insanity and breaks off his hate-filled persuit of the time-travelers (who would be benevelant, and the incident with the Kelvin would have been a complete accident).

Because of Spock changing Kirk's mind, Kirk would attempt to help the time travelers return to where they came from and prevent another worse disaster from occuring.

I'm not sure if that all makes sence... but I think it would have been neat.
Visit my gallery
Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liked the film but it was extremely stupid in it's plot.

The bad guy was ineffective in challenging the Hero.

What SaQ would Do!

Opening Scene: 2245

1. The Captain of the Kelvin would have stayed at his duty station and gotten killed when the bridge was destroyed.

2. George Kirk would have ordered to get the crew ready to depart before the Captain die. George Kirk would have openly surrenedered. Nero would have held. Ploting a collision course he would have launched the shuttle just before he colided with the Narada.

3. The crew would have been saved by a Civilan Ship under the Command of Kojiro Vance who the Kelvin was attempting to save after having a minor colision with a old Mine from the Romulan War and suffered a loss in navigation controls.

Nero's ship is found by the Romulans, disabled. Without warp drive.

The Intervening Years:
-Conflict errupts between the Federation and Romulan Empire 5 years later from the situation and others. There is another ten years of silence and then open war insues in 2255. The Conflict is sustained for the next 10 years to Which the Federation has constantly been loosing Ground.

-The Romulan ships are huge and powerful forcing Star Fleet to build Bigger and the Federation to sometimes draft it's crew into Star Fleet.
We learn that during the silence Romulus had defeated the Klingons and know had enslaved them as storm troopers against the Federation.

-Kirk grows up without his father.
Spock a child of two world grows up as we know to happen, but also Spock loses his father to the war and doesn't grow up with the constant logical guidance he would have had.

2255:
-Pike convinces James Kirk to Join Star Fleet after a bar brawl.
-Spock graduates his classes in Vulcan to be accepted into the Vulcan Academy only to reject it for Star Fleet. The two meet and become immediate rivals.

2258:
-3 years Later Spock bases a Command simulation specially made for Kirk for his upperclassmen training. Normally the simulation involves a Romulan force to large to stop from reaching Earth but Spock changes it. Kirk enters the simulation to discover that he is rescuing a ship named Kobyashi Maru captained by Kojiro Vance that is just inside Romulan Space.

Kirk lets his emotions get the best of him to save the ship even though he realizes he's being played but the simulation ends with the Kobyashi Maru being destroyed aswell as his ship.

This leads to a confrontation immediately after the Simulation ends. Kirk storms the control booth and finds Spock at the controls who seems passive to what he's inflicted on Kirk. Kirk decks Spock but Spock eventual wins the fight with a simple nerve pinch.

-Kirk and Spock stand before the Commandant of the Academy.
In his office they both explain they're side. Spock want's Kirk thrown out under regulations. Kirk claims Spock instigated the confrontation.
The Commandant says that Kirk's actions would force him to eject him from the Academy. Yet he says...he will take the test again. His choices in the Test will decide whether he stays in Star Fleet or not.

We don't see this test immediately
Back in the Commandant's office we find that Kirk actually wins the test.
The events of the test are played back as Kirk remembers them. At the conclusion of his reciting the events...Spocks says that Kirk cheated. He found evidence of tampering with Academy equipment and shows the proof.

- Before the Commandant finishes with the two he is interrupted by an urgent message and dismisses the two. A massive Romulan offensive has concluded. Star Fleet has lost many ships. They expect a push on the Federation's core worlds with the disabling of a 3/4 of Star Fleet's ships.

-The Commandant is ordered to empty the Academy as every ship in dock will be completed immediately and deployed on the new Federation Border to protect Vulcan.

Battlelines:
Uhura reports that Klingon Resistance allies reported that the offensive was spurred by some type of annomolly near the former Neutral Zone. They described it like a lightning storm in Space. From it emerged a ship. The Romulans capture the ship and it's Exotic Matter Payload, but the Klingon resistance took the ship and the pilot but was immediately pursued by the Rest of the Romulan Fleet.

The Klingon didn't know they would follow his stolen Romulan ship all the way back to the nearest Federation outpost where the majority of the Federation's Star Fleet fought a pitch battle with the Romulans and resulted in both Fleet's being decimated. The Klingon reveals the ship he took was from the Future, piloted by someone named... Ambassador Spock.

Spock explains his ship and situation and what occurs in the future.
Nero who is now Emperor of Romulus will make an attempt to destroy Vulcan First and that they must act quickly.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Ensign

Saq, you've got an interesting plot. Would all of that fit in a two hour movie? Keeping in mind that you have to introduce the characters and the universe to people who know nothing about it.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I absolutely loved the film, it was everything I expected a successful re-boot to be. The only thing I would have changed is make all the events occur in the prime reality, not an alternate universe.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Vice Admiral

More smooching!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by triox View Post
Saq, you've got an interesting plot. Would all of that fit in a two hour movie? Keeping in mind that you have to introduce the characters and the universe to people who know nothing about it.
Thanks, Triox.

TV shows and Movies work off of Five Acts.
This was only TWO ACTS.
The rest is mostly dialogue.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
This is a serious question. Lets say that YOU were put in charge with making Trek 11. ANY concept, any characters. Give me a brief summary of what you would have done.

I would had put Meyer and Nimoy in charge of it. Make a film either set in the TOS with Chris Pine as Kirk (Or some other actor) with a story written by a well known Star Trek Author that fits in Canon (Just like many authors are doing today, writing stories in canon that are imaginative and origional)

The Second Option is to make a movie set 150 years after Voyager that way there is not that much worry about canon etc.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I think I would have spent just another month or two in the writing... clean up all the plot holes, and work at making Nero a little more menacing. (or maybe dump Nero entirely, and make the time hole completely natural.) I would have dumped the "core jettisoning" BS at the end, I would have dispensed with the "transwarp beaming" BS, and I would have had Spock Prime and young Kirk meeting up in a more inevitable way, rather than as a series of highly improbable accidents. Say, like meeting at the Federation outpost, instead of in a random cave.

In short, I think I would have planned it a bit better, before I began spending Paramount's $150 million.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Captain

While I loved the movie, this seems like the best place to state the very few things I would have CHANGED the movie.

1. In all three ships, (Kelvin, Narada, and Enterprise), there were places in the movie where instead of "feeling" like we were on a ship, it felt like I was in a warehouse, not on a ship. One of the things I always loved about Star Trek, (series or movies) was that feeling that you are on a ship flying through space.

2. Waterlines and pipes. There again, it seemed at times, like I was at a SAMs store instead of on a ship

3. What was Neros motivation? After having 25 years to "cool" down, why not spend the time saving the home planet?

4. The Jellyfish. It seemed more like a "windup" toy than the Federations fastest ship.

Now, these things said, I really enjoyed the movie, I've seen it 4 times (so far) It is good to see Trek at the movies again. I just wanted to share some feelings. Thanks