The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI Nemesis?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Eventhough some elements are the same it all came down to the director. Baird who directed Nemsis had never worked on Star Trek and was not the right guy for the job (all for action). It shows how important it is to get the director right.

I also feel that it was something to do with the TNG cast kind of getting tired. They had done like 10 years and probably didnt have enough energy in the tank to give a stellar performance. It really needed some fresh blood.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by R23 View Post
Baird who directed Nemsis had never worked on Star Trek and was not the right guy for the job (all for action).

You can actually say the same things about JJ Abrams and Nicholas Myer. All 3 are great directors Baird just didn't have as much to work with as the other two.

-Captain Jonathan Archer
Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

And the thing is, neither Nemesis, nor Wrath of Khan, nor Star Trek were all out action. They all had a story to tell. If they were all out action, we wouldn't get a moment to catch our breaths.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Ensign

Truthfully I think it was a lack of marketing that contributed to its failure alongside a new 21st century cultural resonance taking shape, especially with young people that either caused them to ignore it or not pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I am sure I will get roasted for this but keep in mind, I am just discussing here and this is a discussion board, so go easy on this old man, but I can't help but notice. My best friend came for a visit this past weekend, for an annual VW car show, (that's how we met) and we are both Trekkies. I am an old fan and he is a new one. We went and saw Trek and tonight, we are both watching one of our favorite movies, Nemesis. I cannot help but point out the similarities in the 2 movies. Both bad guys are Romulan. Both have HUGE baddie ships that can annialate most things in it's path. Both have a problem wanting to destroy Earth and the Federation. Both movies have a scene where a small ship escapes the large ship and breaks through to escape. Both baddies are bald. Both have some very good battles with ships called Enterprise.Think about it. I know Nemesis was a failure at the box office, and this on is a success but it is amazing how much these movies have in common. Both Nero and Shinzon had their second in command speak for them at first. I know many of you will say I am out of my mind, but give me the benefit of the doubt and think abou it.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannydeK View Post
The humor in Nemesis was kinda forced if you ask me, especially the openings scene was very bad. That is what bothered me most in the movie.
Acutally, the opening scene was what I LOVED about Nemesis. I had long wanted to see more or the Romulan senate, and the 2 worlds. But, that is just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul4510 View Post
You can actually say the same things about JJ Abrams and Nicholas Myer. All 3 are great directors Baird just didn't have as much to work with as the other two.
The thing is, I love Nemesis!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Ensign

I just wanted to summarize how I felt the TNG movies played.

Generations-we can all agree it's about passing the torch, right?
First Contact-Its our turn to kick some butt
Insurrection-I actually enjoyed this movie, it felt rather old school in some ways.
Nemesis-just sad, and forced, sort of a "Lets get this done and get out of here" sort of feel to it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Ensign

Beetle, Nemesis was one of your favorite movies?
Um...ok.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There are similarities between Nemesis and XI but XI seems to do everthing right that Nemesis did wrong. I did like the Nemesis opening with the Romulan Senate though. And the special effects battles were great. The problem I have with the movie is it just feels like something is missing. It does not really get you emotionaly involved.