The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI Nemesis?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Captain

Default Star Trek XI Nemesis?

I am sure I will get roasted for this but keep in mind, I am just discussing here and this is a discussion board, so go easy on this old man, but I can't help but notice. My best friend came for a visit this past weekend, for an annual VW car show, (that's how we met) and we are both Trekkies. I am an old fan and he is a new one. We went and saw Trek and tonight, we are both watching one of our favorite movies, Nemesis. I cannot help but point out the similarities in the 2 movies. Both bad guys are Romulan. Both have HUGE baddie ships that can annialate most things in it's path. Both have a problem wanting to destroy Earth and the Federation. Both movies have a scene where a small ship escapes the large ship and breaks through to escape. Both baddies are bald. Both have some very good battles with ships called Enterprise.Think about it. I know Nemesis was a failure at the box office, and this on is a success but it is amazing how much these movies have in common. Both Nero and Shinzon had their second in command speak for them at first. I know many of you will say I am out of my mind, but give me the benefit of the doubt and think abou it.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Commander

There have been many a posts dicussing this Beetle no you are not out of your mind and many of us wonder why Nemesis was a faliure while this was a sucess when so many elements are similar. Although to me Nero was just as one dimensional as Shinzon...I might even say that out of the two Shinzon was a better villain, at least they didn't relogate his back story to a comic book.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Captain

[quote=radoskal;201745]There have been many a posts dicussing this Beetle no you are not out of your mind and many of us wonder why Nemesis was a faliure while this was a sucess when so many elements are similar. Although to me Nero was just as one dimensional as Shinzon...I might even say that out of the two Shinzon was a better villain, at least they didn't relogate his back story to a comic book.[/quote

Thanks so much! Sorry if I repeat posted but I really did see alot of similarities. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind here.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I know Nemesis was a failure at the box office, and this on is a success but it is amazing how much these movies have in common. Both Nero and Shinzon had their second in command speak for them at first. I know many of you will say I am out of my mind, but give me the benefit of the doubt and think abou it.
Well, no your not. Maybe the JJA comic book kool-aid is finally starting to wear off like a bad Romulan ale hangover and more and more are realizing the huge joke that JJA has played on the Trek universe.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

JJ's 'Trek had SOOOO many lifts from the other movies... brain-altering bug from II, beam disturbing water near GG bridge from IV, Kirk on ice planet from V, etc. Maybe it was the flash-bang effects. I would have to say that the acting and pace was MUCH better on JJ's 'Trek than Nemesis. No violation of the Prime Directive via a dune buggy.

Execution. Execution. Execution. That's the key.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Commander

Not only did he obviously rip from TrekII, and Nemesis; he even borrowed from concepts that were never tried out, Star Trek: The First Adventure was a movie penned by Harve Bennett and David Loughery that was intended to follow Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, for a 1991 release date, corresponding with Star Trek: The Original Series' 25th anniversary.
According to co-writer David Loughery, this film was intended to kind of a "Top Gun-Star Trek, in which this rambunctious, willful Iowa farmboy, Jim Kirk, goes to Starfleet Academy and meets up with this misanthropic, misunderstood, brilliant Vulcan, who is the first Vulcan ever to attend Starfleet Academy." (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Special Edition) DVD, Disc 2). The premise of the story would focus on young Kirk's development from a careless youth to a responsible leader (Trek: The Unauthorized Story of the Movies)."
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Ensign

Really? Many of you act like Trek II and Nemesis are the only stories that feature a hero battling a villain. Human literature is full of them. All stories borrow from others. Elements of this movie were borrowed from others, like every other movie ever. The real art of story telling is execution. Anyone that claims to know a COMPLETELY original story hasn't read enough.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Ensign

The humor in Nemesis was kinda forced if you ask me, especially the openings scene was very bad. That is what bothered me most in the movie.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannydeK View Post
The humor in Nemesis was kinda forced if you ask me, especially the openings scene was very bad. That is what bothered me most in the movie.

I agree, I cringe a kit during that movie. The humor in this movie was far more natural.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I agree that this movie borrows elements from previous Trek films....but with the new spit and polish that was put on it...it seems to work a lot better.