The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > And the winner is.......Blu-Ray!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Ensign

The minute I heard the format war was over I thought of all those all those people that purchased the HD-DVD of TOS season 1, now they won't get season 2 and 3. I'm still waiting a little longer until those Blu-Ray players go down in price, I don't see myself spending $400 on a DVD player.

Trek Passions is the first dating site for science-fiction fans, and it's free.

http://www.trekpassions.com/
Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
lol, laserdisc!
I still remember the old VHS days. Does that make me feel old.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Ensign

I remember the Beta days.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

I remember using a cassette recorder to preserve AUDIO moments like the STAR WARS cast appearing on Dinah Shore's talk show, of all things. Having a VCR was beyond hopes at that point.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Rear Admiral

I remember Laserdisc, Beta Max, and when VHS was the big deal.

lol, Our first VCR cost over $250.00 at JC Penny... Yes JC Penny!!! It's where I used to buy by Atari 2600 games too.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
I remember Laserdisc, Beta Max, and when VHS was the big deal.

lol, Our first VCR cost over $250.00 at JC Penny... Yes JC Penny!!! It's where I used to buy by Atari 2600 games too.
My first VHS was a NEC and I bought it around 1981 or 1982 for $1000.00. It was state of the art and was a fine fine machine. It also recorded in Super VHS but I never used it. That machine recorded so good in EP mode I never recorded anything in LP or SP unless it was something really special. It worked fine until about 5 years ago and even though I bought another VHS machine it did not have near the picture quality the NEC had. Boy I loved that recorder! I recored literally thousands of VHS tapes on it without a hitch. It was pricey, even for the time, but when I look back now I can say I got my monies worth.

Kevin
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Ensign

I'm glad that I never bought anything, cause I would have gone for HD-DVD's, as it is I'm getting married in September so will be waiting till just after then to get a new DVD player, so Blu-Ray should have come down a bit by then.

My fiancé wants the PS£ but we can't justify spending £350-£499 for a PS3, not while we still have a few wedding things to sort out.

I annoys me that often things like PS3 (with Blu Ray attached) and Blu-Ray players are cheaper in the states then over here. Only way I could get a decent price for a player would be if I went to Tottenham Court Road in London (fortunately that’s not to far from me)
Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrek View Post
My first VHS was a NEC and I bought it around 1981 or 1982 for $1000.00. It was state of the art and was a fine fine machine. It also recorded in Super VHS but I never used it. That machine recorded so good in EP mode I never recorded anything in LP or SP unless it was something really special. It worked fine until about 5 years ago and even though I bought another VHS machine it did not have near the picture quality the NEC had. Boy I loved that recorder! I recored literally thousands of VHS tapes on it without a hitch. It was pricey, even for the time, but when I look back now I can say I got my monies worth.

Kevin
I remember purchasing my first VCR, it was a Fisher and cost me about $500 back in 1985. It was big and bulky but sturdy, the machine lasted 10 years until it finally broke down. It does bring back some good memories.

Trek Passions is the first dating site for science-fiction fans, and it's free.

http://www.trekpassions.com/
Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

On my first VCR, the remote was corded... about 3' or so. How's that for useless?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Exclamation HD DVD and Blu-Ray at Tanagra. Paramount, his eyes opened!

I didn’t decide to wait, once I saw the Star Trek TOS HD with new FX my god I had to have it now, I even bought a HD DVD player just for Star Trek....ya hear that Paramount....getting in my wallet. Anyway, it was worth it, TOS look so incredible and was so satisfying I was giddy and restless like a child but my eyes were glued to the screen I was very impressed. The FX where great but mostly I loved the bright rich colors and the removal off all the lines and specs and dots and marks from the film give the more clear and crisp picture I have ever seen. Even watching TOS on DVD and then comparing it to cable television, I could not watch Star Trek on cable TV ever again (which sucks for syndicated ratings lol.) So you can imaging what TOS looked like on HD DVD compared to DVD, leaps and bounds my fellow trekkers and trekkies, leaps and bounds. I didn’t think the HD war would be over this soon but I am glad it is, and I have no problem buying Blu ray, I am just happy season 2 and 3 did not come out on HD. I only spent a couple hundred, Ill sell it on ebay, because someone will end up buying it. Blu ray or HD DVD I dont care they are both HD I am just happy one version of the format has now been solidified and I can look forward to all Star Trek movies and TV series coming out on the ole Blu-ray. I just want TOS remastered soon! YA hear me CBS, or Paramount, or Viacom..what ever you want to be called, just do it, do it now.