The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Folks, this is a whole NEW BEAST (throw out everything you know)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius is the Worst View Post
BSG only lasted one season, no more, though it did indeed have a rabid fanbase.
there was second season. it dealt with Apollo's son, Troy, and his buddy, helping prepare the Earth to accept the BSG fleet
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
there was second season. it dealt with Apollo's son, Troy, and his buddy, helping prepare the Earth to accept the BSG fleet
Correction; that was Galactica 1980, an attempt to reinvigorate the show, that had been canceled. It failed.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Star Trek has been alive and well and kicking all through these decades, in the 70s we had the animated series and the first motion picture, all through the 80s we had films and Next Generation and in the 90s DS9, Voyager and Next Generation feature films. Trek wasn't ever really dead, it had a large, live fan base. It was put to sleep by Paramount in order to take it out of Berman's possession.
maybe in your alternate reality.

friend, TREK was dying for years. JJ and company have given the old dog a new lease of life. the scene in Innsurrection wehere F Murray Abraham tells the Admiral that the Federation is dying pretty much sumed it up.

embrace the change, or become an endangered species
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
You just sent old time BSG'rs into this phase:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfflRNpwKA

"I'm coming Elizabeth!"

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
You just sent old time BSG'rs into this phase:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfflRNpwKA

"I'm coming Elizabeth!"
LOL Good one. That show was terrible. 1st season=awesome. 2nd season=lame.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Ensign

If "you throw out everything you know" and "is non-existent in this new show", then how can it be Star Trek? Why don't you make up a new name for it, like "Masters of the Universe" or Tribblets Rule the Galaxy. It sure ain't Star Trek.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticCore View Post
If "you throw out everything you know" and "is non-existent in this new show", then how can it be Star Trek? Why don't you make up a new name for it, like "Masters of the Universe" or Tribblets Rule the Galaxy. It sure ain't Star Trek.
Well, let's see, we've got Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, Scotty, Chapel, Spock (Again!), Pike, the Enterprise, the Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans, the Vulcans, the Orions, the Andorians, the Cardassians, time travel, battles in space, diplomacy, phasers, photon torpedos, shuttles, communicators, humanitarianism, humanism, adventure, action, romance, sex appeal, psuedo-science, warp speed, exploration, etc. etc. etc...

So even if we throw out everything we know, this doesn't resemble, ahem, "Masters of the Universe", and it's most definitely, absolutely, Star Trek.

Live long, and... well, you know the rest.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
There are a few problems with your comparison with BSG. First, 70s BSG was dead, before Ronald Moore decided to re-boot the franchise by re-imagining it in 2003. Star Trek has been alive and well and kicking all through these decades, in the 70s we had the animated series and the first motion picture, all through the 80s we had films and Next Generation and in the 90s DS9, Voyager and Next Generation feature films. Trek wasn't ever really dead, it had a large, live fan base. It was put to sleep by Paramount in order to take it out of Berman's possession.

Another problem with your comparision is that BSG only lasted one season, it doesn't have the rich, detailed history that Trek has, which J.J. junked in order to re-invent the franchise on his terms. Which is completely un-necessary unlike with BSG, which did need re-imagining because it had been dead for decades and needed to grow new legs in order to recome once again a relevant franchise.
Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons, but stayed in syndication for decades. Star Trek, while it may not have been dead, was dying. Tired storylines about characters too few people even CARED about anymore had slowly burdened the franchise to the point that even trying to write anything that would have a HOPE of commercial success was a nightmare. (See Nemesis, Insurrection, etc.) The franchise needed new life if it was not to be left to die of it's own weight. Abrams and crew gave it the best life it has ever seen. The dollars don't lie.

I'm sorry you don't feel it was necessary, because, from where I stand, it absolutely was. And, if I use ticket sales as a gauge, I am not alone in this.
Not Anti matter
But IS the catalyst of a truly awesome
STAR TREK
movie.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
they expect viewers to pretend the TOS did not exist.
No. No, they do not. And that's because they're not ****ing insane. I like the Original Series. It still exists. Now there's an alternative continuity that exists alongside it. I like this too.

It is really not a difficult concept: the original Star Trek still exists, all its episodes and movies and canon and lore. They are always there are waiting for those of us who appreciate them. But there's now a single new story set within a different version of that same fictional universe.

I say it again: the Original Series is still there and is utterly untouched by the new film. History hasn't really been changed - that only happened in the new movie, not in real life.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
No. No, they do not. And that's because they're not ****ing insane. I like the Original Series. It still exists. Now there's an alternative continuity that exists alongside it. I like this too.

It is really not a difficult concept: the original Star Trek still exists, all its episodes and movies and canon and lore. They are always there are waiting for those of us who appreciate them. But there's now a single new story set within a different version of that same fictional universe.

I say it again: the Original Series is still there and is utterly untouched by the new film. History hasn't really been changed - that only happened in the new movie, not in real life.