The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Folks, this is a whole NEW BEAST (throw out everything you know)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Ensign

I hear you but you know as much I too disagree with those who are upset that the ST saga they once knew is no longer viable, I do feel their pain. As a matter of fact I'm watching ST: TNG on SCI FI right now and loving every bit of it, and it and the other series will always be honored. But when the new comes a kicking and kicking strong you can't do anything but sing along w00t w00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
a NEW BEAST is how I will refer to this film in future.

I for one don't care anymore about the bitter haters.

the makers of the NEW BEAST have cast no-one "into the night". you exiling yourselves. and good riddance, because now that TREK is relevant again -YOU ARE NOT!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Ensign

Here's my take on it. Star Trek is fiction *gasp*, and so "canon violations" do not have anything to do with my enjoyment of the stories. I can enjoy pretty much anything in Trek, as long as the story is compelling. And this new Trek is very compelling indeed. May it live long and prosper.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Commander

skippy,

how is "the ST saga no longer viable"?
the alternate timeline only happened in the movie.
JJ did not create a new world where STAR TREK never exsisted until now.
the only pain haters are feeling is the fear that this elite club they created for themselves will now be invaded by "the cool kids".
Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius is the Worst View Post
Here's my take on it. Star Trek is fiction *gasp*, and so "canon violations" do not have anything to do with my enjoyment of the stories. I can enjoy pretty much anything in Trek, as long as the story is compelling. And this new Trek is very compelling indeed. May it live long and prosper.
bravo.

nice Lewis quote too.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Ensign

Hey DammitJim, yeah I didn't mean in the sense of existence or appreciation, rather in regards to the new ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
skippy,

how is "the ST saga no longer viable"?
the alternate timeline only happened in the movie.
JJ did not create a new world where STAR TREK never exsisted until now.
the only pain haters are feeling is the fear that this elite club they created for themselves will now be invaded by "the cool kids".
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
Hey DammitJim, yeah I didn't mean in the sense of existence or appreciation, rather in regards to the new ST.
not following??
Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
Hey friends -

I sense that many of you realize that this new Star Trek is an attempt to restart the entire saga. But what I also sense is that the majority of folks out there don't realize that this new Star Trek is a whole new beast. We aren't dealing with your father's Star Trek much more many of us who grew up to know TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT. Everything we once knew, races, territories, history, warp speeds, size of ships, design specs, crew complement, political relations, and so on from the Star Trek saga that's lasted some 40 + years (up to Enterprise/Archer) is non-existant in this new show.

When I consider this latest movie it truly reminds me of what SCI FI did with Battlestar Galactica, and that was a massive success. What paramount and Abrahms are doing seems to mirror this notion. BSG became more popular and succesfull than at any other time before when it got revamped.

I trust that this new Star Trek will present itself the same. A brand new blank slate with similarities but ultimately an entirely different BEAST. I can't wait to see where they take this, because even as a fan of the previous shows; I feel this new Star Trek brings with it a whole new feeling and touch the prior couldn't even dream of. As of yesterday I read how it became the most succesfull ST movie as far as projected sales go, that in itself is a good sign. With that said the future is bright, throw out everything you knew before (not literally) and prepare for a whole new UNIVERSE.

I for one can admit that I am preparing my journey with this new Star Trek with an open mind and new perspective.
There are a few problems with your comparison with BSG. First, 70s BSG was dead, before Ronald Moore decided to re-boot the franchise by re-imagining it in 2003. Star Trek has been alive and well and kicking all through these decades, in the 70s we had the animated series and the first motion picture, all through the 80s we had films and Next Generation and in the 90s DS9, Voyager and Next Generation feature films. Trek wasn't ever really dead, it had a large, live fan base. It was put to sleep by Paramount in order to take it out of Berman's possession.

Another problem with your comparision is that BSG only lasted one season, it doesn't have the rich, detailed history that Trek has, which J.J. junked in order to re-invent the franchise on his terms. Which is completely un-necessary unlike with BSG, which did need re-imagining because it had been dead for decades and needed to grow new legs in order to recome once again a relevant franchise.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Ensign

Nonetheless I was just generalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
There are a few problems with your comparison with BSG. First, 70s BSG was dead, before Ronald Moore decided to re-boot the franchise by re-imagining it in 2003. Star Trek has been alive and well and kicking all through these decades, in the 70s we had the animated series and the first motion picture, all through the 80s we had films and Next Generation and in the 90s DS9, Voyager and Next Generation feature films. Trek wasn't ever really dead, it had a large, live fan base. It was put to sleep by Paramount in order to take it out of Berman's possession.

Another problem with your comparision is that BSG only lasted one season, it doesn't have the rich, detailed history that Trek has, which J.J. junked in order to re-invent the franchise on his terms. Which is completely un-necessary unlike with BSG, which did need re-imagining because it had been dead for decades and needed to grow new legs in order to recome once again a relevant franchise.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post

The original BSG lasted more than one season and had/has a rabid fan base. There was A LOT of backlash against the reboot. Don't take that away from those fans.

Other than that, I agree with most of your other points.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Ensign

BSG only lasted one season, no more, though it did indeed have a rabid fanbase.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis