The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Folks, this is a whole NEW BEAST (throw out everything you know)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Ensign

Default Folks, this is a whole NEW BEAST (throw out everything you know)

Hey friends -

First let me say I apologize if this topic has been posted before. I tried searching under something similiar but had no success.

You know it's amusing to read all the dialogue and comparative analysis between this new Star Trek film and the films/shows of the past. And although much of the exchanges have been healthy and very interesting (being a Trekkie I can surely relate) I think that in the next few years all of it will simply be remembered as great speculation if not confused chat .

Here is why (just my opinion):

I sense that many of you realize that this new Star Trek is an attempt to restart the entire saga. But what I also sense is that the majority of folks out there don't realize that this new Star Trek is a whole new beast. We aren't dealing with your father's Star Trek much more many of us who grew up to know TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT. Everything we once knew, races, territories, history, warp speeds, size of ships, design specs, crew complement, political relations, and so on from the Star Trek saga that's lasted some 40 + years (up to Enterprise/Archer) is non-existant in this new show.

When I consider this latest movie it truly reminds me of what SCI FI did with Battlestar Galactica, and that was a massive success. What paramount and Abrahms are doing seems to mirror this notion. BSG became more popular and succesfull than at any other time before when it got revamped.

I trust that this new Star Trek will present itself the same. A brand new blank slate with similarities but ultimately an entirely different BEAST. I can't wait to see where they take this, because even as a fan of the previous shows; I feel this new Star Trek brings with it a whole new feeling and touch the prior couldn't even dream of. As of yesterday I read how it became the most succesfull ST movie as far as projected sales go, that in itself is a good sign. With that said the future is bright, throw out everything you knew before (not literally) and prepare for a whole new UNIVERSE.

I for one can admit that I am preparing my journey with this new Star Trek with an open mind and new perspective.

I must admit one of the biggest advantages that this new Star Trek movie/universe has compared to anything prior to it is not only it's dynamicism but simply its appeal to the greater public, not just classic SCI FI junkies, this is what BSG did, and it looks like ST has learned of how to accomplish that. Resolving this makes ST the ability to appeal to not only classic Sci Fi fans but to even the American Idol groupies, the Reality TV types, and even folks who consider the Food Network homeage.

Brilliant is the word of the day.

Onwards to a whole new universe, whole new storyline, new plots, new characters, etc?

If that's the case then "classics" will mean a lot less now.

I think it's time for the old generation of Trekkies to pass the torch onto the new generation.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Ensign

Well said. As someone that grew up with TOS I too look forward to strange new worlds, new civilizations, and to boldly go where no Trek has gone before.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Ensign

As one who watched TOS when it originally aired, I couldn't agree more.
Still, there's no reason to pass the torch. Rather, let's all go forward together and see what the torch illuminates on this new journey.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvideo View Post
Still, there's no reason to pass the torch. Rather, let's all go forward together and see what the torch illuminates on this new journey.
Agreed!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Ensign

Haha yeah, that's even more appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvideo View Post
Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
Hey friends -

First let me say I apologize if this topic has been posted before. I tried searching under something similiar but had no success.

You know it's amusing to read all the dialogue and comparative analysis between this new Star Trek film and the films/shows of the past. And although much of the exchanges have been healthy and very interesting (being a Trekkie I can surely relate) I think that in the next few years all of it will simply be remembered as great speculation if not confused chat .

I sense that many of you realize that this new Star Trek is an attempt to restart the entire saga. But what I also sense is that the majority of folks out there don't realize that this new Star Trek is a whole new beast. We aren't dealing with your father's Star Trek much more many of us who grew up to know TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT. Everything we once knew, races, territories, history, warp speeds, size of ships, design specs, crew complement, political relations, and so on from the Star Trek saga that's lasted some 40 + years (up to Enterprise/Archer) is non-existant in this new show.

When I consider this latest movie it truly reminds me of what SCI FI did with Battlestar Galactica, and that was a massive success. What paramount and Abrahms are doing seems to mirror this notion. BSG became more popular and succesfull than at any other time before when it got revamped.

I trust that this new Star Trek will present itself the same. A brand new blank slate with similarities but ultimately an entirely different BEAST. I can't wait to see where they take this, because even as a fan of the previous shows; I feel this new Star Trek brings with it a whole new feeling and touch the prior couldn't even dream of. As of yesterday I read how it became the most succesfull ST movie as far as projected sales go, that in itself is a good sign. With that said the future is bright, throw out everything you knew before (not literally) and prepare for a whole new UNIVERSE.

I for one can admit that I am preparing my journey with this new Star Trek with an open mind and new perspective.

I must admit one of the biggest advantages that this new Star Trek movie/universe has compared to anything prior to it is not only it's dynamicism but simply its appeal to the greater public, not just classic SCI FI junkies, this is what BSG did, and it looks like ST has learned of how to accomplish that. Resolving this makes ST the ability to appeal to not only classic Sci Fi fans but to even the American Idol groupies, the Reality TV types, and even folks who consider the Food Network homeage.

Brilliant is the word of the day.

Onwards to a whole new universe, whole new storyline, new plots, new characters, etc?

If that's the case then "classics" will mean a lot less now.

I think it's time for the old generation of Trekkies to pass the torch onto the new generation.

Sorry, Once again I cannot agree with you. To make this film they dumped the fans into the night, and they expect viewers to pretend the TOS did not exist.

They can of course, fix this, they can fire Abrams, Hire Meyer and Nimoy and have them make Star Trek 12 that will reverse eveything Abrams has done.

I might had liked this film if they had not destroyed Vulcan.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Sorry, Once again I cannot agree with you. To make this film they dumped the fans into the night, and they expect viewers to pretend the TOS did not exist.

They can of course, fix this, they can fire Abrams, Hire Meyer and Nimoy and have them make Star Trek 12 that will reverse everything Abrams has done.

I might had liked this film if they had not destroyed Vulcan.
Man, You annoy the pizz outta me, but I gotta admire your moxie. You believe in something, but at this point, it is a pipe dream. Paramount has NO REASON to do what you are suggesting, and frankly, would just mess it up and confuse the legions of NEW FANS!

I also don't believe you when you say you might have liked this movie if Vulcan had not been destroyed. You have already ripped all the other aspects of this movie to shreds. You just don't like the change. Please be truthful on this.

Nimoy was IN this movie and ENDORSES the direction it is going. Are you trying to tell me that if you were in a FACE TO FACE conversation with him you would argue with him?

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Magnum,
Star Trek is not as tidy now as you want it to be.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Commander

a NEW BEAST is how I will refer to this film in future.

I for one don't care anymore about the bitter haters.

the makers of the NEW BEAST have cast no-one "into the night". you exiling yourselves. and good riddance, because now that TREK is relevant again -YOU ARE NOT!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
Hey friends -

Everything we once knew, races, territories, history, warp speeds, size of ships, design specs, crew complement, political relations, and so on from the Star Trek saga that's lasted some 40 + years (up to Enterprise/Archer) is non-existant in this new show.

With that said the future is bright, throw out everything you knew before (not literally) and prepare for a whole new UNIVERSE.

It ain't a whole new universe... it's just an altered universe. History followed canon up to the sudden appearance of Nero and his crew, and Spock, and only then (AFAIK) did the timeline diverge. While the events portrayed in TOS are still a few years away, they won't happen... at least not the way they did "before." I'm sure no future series will attempt to run that voyage with a different crew, but tales of the altered events would be available as background material to any future series set more than a decade or two after the movie.