The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What scenes would you have liked to have seen that wasn't in the film
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Technically...its not THAT crew.....*silent grumble*
Yeah, I've had that discussion with others and while I don't mind that grumbling, I don't agree with it either.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Lieutenant

Thanks guys, glad im not the only one.

I felt it was a fantastic opportunity missed as we'll never get the chance to see it again most prob. the spectatcle would have been immense. yes they would have had a headache in terms of working out how it would have been achieved but surely the end result would have justified the input. I envisaged huge (millions) crowds tunring out to see the human flagship being launched - an incredible sight and one which would have lived long in the memory of any film fan let alone a sci fi or trek fan.

i think it would have been worth the added expense and time spent on it. especially when this fil was sat gathering dust for 6 months before release!

starbase Britain
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Two things i felt very strongly about and felt i wanted to see in this film was......
1) the scene where young kirk pulls up on his bike looking at the Enterprise was way too short and felt this should have been in more detail and elongated. I would like to have had more close ups of the construction, builders at work etc.

2) the biggest scene of all should have featured the USS Enterprise being launched into space for the first time - taking off from its ship building yard. If this was done and done properly it would have been one of the greatest Trek moments ever and quite possibly one of the best of any Sci fi movie. a big opportunity missed there i recon. It need have only lasted several minutes at most. pity

starbase Britain
I couldn't agree more, especially with number 2).
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Technically...its not THAT crew.....*silent grumble*
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
Alternates.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Alternates.
Oh For,,,,,,,
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
Oh For,,,,,,,
Is that a bleeped out continuation?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Thanks guys, glad im not the only one.

I felt it was a fantastic opportunity missed as we'll never get the chance to see it again most prob. the spectatcle would have been immense. yes they would have had a headache in terms of working out how it would have been achieved but surely the end result would have justified the input. I envisaged huge (millions) crowds tunring out to see the human flagship being launched - an incredible sight and one which would have lived long in the memory of any film fan let alone a sci fi or trek fan.

i think it would have been worth the added expense and time spent on it. especially when this fil was sat gathering dust for 6 months before release!

starbase Britain
While I can sympathize with your scenario, I can also see drawbacks to actually showing this scene for one reason: I doubt any filmed version of it would please all fans. The minute this scene gets objectified into one version, it shuts out all other possibilities of how it happened.

And again, the Enterprise wasn't yet "The Enterprise" upon its launch -- it was a brand new ship, granted the flagship of the Fed, but it had no reputation yet. Even to those 23rd century people in attendance, it was "a new big ship."

The more I think about it, the more I think it was wise to leave its launch up to the individual imaginations of fans, because then everyone gets the 'scene' they want to have. For this film's sake, it was more important to show how the Enterprise earned its reputation with its crew in action and on duty, and not touted as the greatest ship ever before it logged a single star-minute.

The Titanic was launched with huge fanfare as the icon of limitless human power and ingenuity, and look how that turned out.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Lieutenant

Mission Trek

i understand where your coming from and definately understand your point of view.

I understand the point about it causing great controversy as everyone one would have their vision. I just feel that JJ has been so brave and not afriad to do his own thing with this film i dont think this would have been a bridge too far. i really dont. This is a movie for the future of star trek fans from what we are told and therefore new fans probably would have just marvelled at the spectacle rather than unpicking it for scientific reasons. It would have been an enormous treat and feast for the eyes for existing trek fans who already know what the enterprise stood for.

controversy would have raged but no more than the cannon arguements and other debates that have also raged in these forums. I still would have loved to have seen it. It needed time money, imagination and dazzling effects to have accomplished it but my goodness the results would have been breathtaking.

I suppose we could yet see it in a flash back sequence in a future movie but the moment may have come and gone. it belonged in the origins movie in my opinion.

Starbase Britain
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'll add a practical note to the discussion, while we're at it:

Even if they'd have filmed the scene, given what other parts of the story were edited out of the film for running time, I doubt the launch would have ended up as more than a deleted scene on the DVD anyway.

I really do sympathize with your point as an ideal filmmaking scenario, but JJ made it clear in interviews that "ship glory" isn't his connection to the material, and that he really wanted to focus on the characters first. In that priority, the launching the Enterprise would have literally stopped the story dead for a visual-effects extravaganza that accomplishes nothing in the plot, but only bows to the fans who want to see it.

And given how many longtime, die-hard fans didn't even appreciate the fly-by sequence in TMP when we first got to see the Enterprise 'as big as life', I can completely understand why he avoided repeating the experience in his film.

And frankly, given all the hyperbolic flack JJ and the film got for the look of the new Enterprise design from knee-jerk fan reactions, had I been the director I wouldn't spend the time and the money just showing off the ship either.

Could he have done it? Yes. Would it be a cool scene? Absolutely. But at the expense of hundreds of thousands of dollars with absolutely no advancement of the story -- and if nothing else, studios frown on such sequences nowadays, and often so do storytellers.

I wouldn't have been against it at all, as I didn't mind the fly-by in TMP the first time around, because it's one of those rare treats only filmmaking can provide. But I can also see why we didn't get it in this film. And frankly, I'd still rather have had them spend two more minutes strengthening Nero's character over the E's launch, if they were going to add one more scene to the film.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!