The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If they HAVE to do Khan...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
This is the man to play Khan: Oded Fehr
Beautiful eye candy (whew!) but not the best actor in the world.

All these Vosloo and Fehr suggestions are making me think that the only way to do Khan with a fresh twist is to make him comedic!

(How about Brendan Frasier?)
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
Beautiful eye candy (whew!) but not the best actor in the world.
I think we've yet to see his full potential. Khan could be the role that does it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think we've yet to see his full potential. Khan could be the role that does it.
I was basing my opinion on how he wasn't able to completely convince me in Mummy Returns.

But he IS gorgeous.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen88 View Post
Since the new film is such a hit, I would think that the producers wouldn't settle for anything less than an A-list star to play Khan. Neither of those actors really fit the bill. But I do think Arnold Vosloo is a great choice.
Are you kidding? Javier won an Oscar for his portrayal of a hit man in No Country For Old Men. That's not A-list enough? Was Heath Ledger an A-list actor when he was given the Joker roll? We all knew of him, especially after Brokeback Mountain, but at the time I don't know if he qualified as A-list. I doubt he commanded the same salaries as Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt or Mel Gibson, even though I think he was way more talented as an actor than any of them.

When I first heard of Heath getting the Joker roll, I thought the producers of The Dark Knight were out of their minds. No way was this guy menacing enough to take on such an iconic roll. But boy, did he prove me, and many others, wrong. Heath became an A-list actor, wildly popular, with his Joker portrrayal. Unfortunately, he never got a chance to enjoy all the accolades.
I believe the tremendous success of TDK had a lot to do with Heath's performance and the hype it created, certainly more than Christian Bale's contribution to the film. Not discounting Bale's role, but Heath stole every scene he was in.

Javier, I believe, could add that same level of talent and creativity to the role of Khan, should Abrams choose to go that route. He is an immensely talented actor.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvideo View Post
Are you kidding? Javier won an Oscar for his portrayal of a hit man in No Country For Old Men. That's not A-list enough? Was Heath Ledger an A-list actor when he was given the Joker roll? We all knew of him, especially after Brokeback Mountain, but at the time I don't know if he qualified as A-list. I doubt he commanded the same salaries as Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt or Mel Gibson, even though I think he was way more talented as an actor than any of them.

When I first heard of Heath getting the Joker roll, I thought the producers of The Dark Knight were out of their minds. No way was this guy menacing enough to take on such an iconic roll. But boy, did he prove me, and many others, wrong. Heath became an A-list actor, wildly popular, with his Joker portrrayal. Unfortunately, he never got a chance to enjoy all the accolades.
I believe the tremendous success of TDK had a lot to do with Heath's performance and the hype it created, certainly more than Christian Bale's contribution to the film. Not discounting Bale's role, but Heath stole every scene he was in.

Javier, I believe, could add that same level of talent and creativity to the role of Khan, should Abrams choose to go that route. He is an immensely talented actor.
I wasn't responding to Javier Bardem. I didn't realize that he was suggested. I was responding to the suggestion of Billy Zane and Arnold Vosloo. I actually think Bardem would be perfect!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen88 View Post
I wasn't responding to Javier Bardem. I didn't realize that he was suggested. I was responding to the suggestion of Billy Zane and Arnold Vosloo. I actually think Bardem would be perfect!
My apologies. I sometimes get constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth (or hands, in this case).
I can't see Billy Zane as Khan, and I don't know anything about Vosloo - cool name, though.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Ensign

I can imagine a well-directed Antonia Banderas doing a good job. No, really. Just put lines from The Wrath of Khan in Banderas' mouth, and you may be able to see what I mean.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius is the Worst View Post
I can imagine a well-directed Antonia Banderas doing a good job. No, really. Just put lines from The Wrath of Khan in Banderas' mouth, and you may be able to see what I mean.
I just read this to my wife. She gave two thumbs up and now she's on a rant. Wait, isn't he kinda short to play Khan? That's what I'll tell her.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Ensign

Eh, just give him elevator shoes. Or stilts. "This summer... Antonio Banderas is... Khanzilla."
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis
Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default No rehashes

I don't see the point of even continuing ST if their just going to remake what we''ve already seen. That's the reason we needed a reboot anyway. Well, a reboot with a time travel twist and a vengence seeking romulan.