The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Just thinking about this...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Xonk View Post
Thank you for your imput so far. What if...the wrecks appeared in the same timeline as "Enterprise"? As a fan, maybe a book could go into this. I can see how the Vulcan Science Counsel of that period react to that...and Star Fleet would dispach Archer and Crew to Vulcan...
But... "the Vulcan Science Counsel (of the day) has determined time travel to be impossible." Hehe, the looks of confusion on those faces would be priceless.
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Intresting...a wormhole in other words.
I had posted in another thread were it could be possible that it might open up a wormhole which might lead to the Beta quadrant and as far as i remember nothing was ever explored in the beta quadrant or even mention throughout all of the star trek series. this could open it up for new aliens and such.

another thing I thought about was where was the time travel police that were around in voyager Wouldn't they do something to fix the timeline or is possible that they do not exist in this future

Not to mention that just having Spock prime around is bound to accelerate Tech in this new timeline.

But hey in this timeline money matters and what ever will make more at the box office will determine the stability of all theories
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-172 View Post
But... "the Vulcan Science Counsel (of the day) has determined time travel to be impossible." Hehe, the looks of confusion on those faces would be priceless.
Heh, that's what I would like to see as well.

I like this, no one is arguing...yet.

Also: Yes, it is a smaller black hole. So IF it has the mass to become a time portal, that would work. I was thinking to, and not to be too weird, that if it opened up into the past, but in the "Mirror" Universe..in the same timeline as the Sato-run Empire...just some more food for thought.

I am a friend of ZARDOZ!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

We don't exactly know what caused the singularity to open up a 'wormhole' in time, but I'm guessing that the same effect wouldn't happen with Vulcan because its collapse would be acting on so much less mass and energy than a star in supernova, that the results wouldn't be the same.

Assuming it would take a great amount of energy to rip a whole in space/time, I doubt a tiny planet (by comparison) could provide the requirements to pull it off the same way. Compared to a star (even a stable one), a planet is a tiny speck of 'dead' rock, whereas a sun is an enormous fission reactor with all kinds of energy potential and processing within it. Unleash all that energy, then collapse it upon itself and you've got a phenomenon which simply couldn't be replicated with the raw, rather inert materials of a planet.

Going with the evidence, we know that no such 'lightning in space' vortex was created when Vulcan went kerblooie, Spock was watching it (from two vantage points, no less). So literally speaking, it didn't happen and no need to pursue the possibility in story terms. Fun for discussion of course.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Dont bother about it, seriously. Because the writers never cared to make it make sense. Not only does the Red Mater do one thing one time and a completely different thing another time, without any explanation given in the movie. The phenomenon of a "thunderstorm in space" also seems to appear everytime the Narada attacks, eventhough no black hole or time portal was formed. If the script needs a thunderstorm in space, then there is one, no explanation given.
Hmm, are you sure about that?

One "lightning storm in space" was created when the Narada reappeared in the past and attacked the Kelvin.

Another when Spock appeared in the past, same portal, different Stardate.

When did the Narada create another storm in attacks after it arrived in the 2200s? I don't remember seeing any... unless you count the tiny internal one as Vulcan dissolved, but that had nothing to do with the Narada itself, that was the Red Matter at work creating a singularity.

When the Enterprise arrived at Vulcan, the Narada was just sitting there in orbit, as I recall. If you can find another example, please remind me, BB.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

while on the subject, was it explained how Nero knew Spock would be coming through the black whole at the precise time? He knew 25 years before it and just sat around with a bunch of dudes....and dudes were holding a pretty good grudge for it to last 25 years. If i ever get that big of a resentment to last that long...please admit me. It may not fare well with the resent'ee and his/her dog.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out