The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Bill Shatner?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
Its probably time to boldly go forward now - the new guys on their own.

That hurts me to say it as im a big Shat fan. The opportunity has come and gone now in my opinion...he should have appeared as a holographic image with leonard Nimoy in this current film. the part was written but JJ didnt like it therefore the shat wasnt offered anything. great opportunity missed sadly.

there you go, its done now and cant be undone. Long live the shat but i fear its all over as far as him playing capt kirk. cant see him appearing in any new trek film...but as spock said... ' there arfe always possibilities'. ill live in hope but will probably die in vain.
starbase Britain
I don't think the Shat is too put out. I think he might want to put those days behind him. He asked JJ and the lead cast to support a charity shindig of his and he seemed happy to meet them all.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Ensign

Yes, but only for the tagline at the end
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Ensign

it would be very easy to add him in and make sense. It doesnt have to bring him back to life either.

If they have Leonard in the next movie (which they can easily do at least for a small part as he stayed in this universe) Shat could do a cameo shot of Spock Prime remembering a conversation he had with Kirk Prime in his past.

That way in no way does the story revolve around Shat but at the same time it is a legitimate reason for him to have his cameo as Kirk and make sense.

That would satisfy most people. Those that want Shat in it some way and those that want it to make sense without bringing him back to life.

It also would not force the fact having to have him in the third film.

Memories are a beautiful thing =)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Ensign

Of course, as long as the part works for the story. Any shatner haters should watch boston legal. He's awsome..
Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Midshipman

I think William Shatner as Kirk has been getting a bum rap as though he is no longer important to the whole Star Trek concept, when he's very much as important as Leonard Nimoy as Spock. Kirk went out of his way to bring Spock back from death in
Voyage Home, now why doesn't Spock try to do the same for Kirk? What kind of close friendship is that..to be forsaken? That isn't at all like Star Trek characters to become so detached. Star Trek wasn't bout rank & duty but strong faithful friendship.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkanis View Post
I think William Shatner as Kirk has been getting a bum rap as though he is no longer important to the whole Star Trek concept, when he's very much as important as Leonard Nimoy as Spock. Kirk went out of his way to bring Spock back from death in
Voyage Home, now why doesn't Spock try to do the same for Kirk? What kind of close friendship is that..to be forsaken? That isn't at all like Star Trek characters to become so detached. Star Trek wasn't bout rank & duty but strong faithful friendship.
To us yes. To Shatner as MANY interviews have shown, it is very much about him. We shouldn't cling too much to who played what though, if we want this to be taken seriously the parade of former trek actors has to be tasteful and minimal. In addition if we want trek to transcend our time we have to get used to other actors playing our heroes. Maybe in 20 years this discussion we be had about Pine, we can only hope!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Commander

Sorry, William Shatner coming back, even for a cameo would be a useless waste of digit medium. Captain Kirk is dead, long live Captain Kirk. Take it or leave it folks. Chris Pine is Kirk now, Shatner is a thing of the past, and trapped in a different reality. I say leave it. The only reason Spock is still around is because of the 200+ year life span of Vulcans. The next thing you'll be suggesting is that we bring DeForest Kelley, and Jimmy Dohan back. Putting Shatner in one of these new movies is just as preposterous.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Vice Admiral

I don't know who are what you are remember that from a original Star Trek episode when they encountered a giant hand remember that one

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Ensign

Mr Shatner is a good actor as Boston Legal proves, but... New time line Our Kirk on another let dead captains lie RIP Kirk Prime
Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Commander

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
I don't know who are what you are remember that from a original Star Trek episode when they encountered a giant hand remember that one
Who Mourns for Adonis. If you recall the scenes, at least try to remember the title.