The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "Saved 800 lives.." - You sure about that, Pike?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Commander

The starships in this "new" future seem quite larger than the ones in Kirk's time in the O.S., the Enterprise from the O.S. could only hold 200 people. Now we here about a starship 17-20 years earlier holding 800?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think all of the shuttles and escape pods would have been crammed beyond their limits.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I would think that some of the pods had already been jettisoned. I know when Enterprise E's pods started popping off the ship, there were plenty of them!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Maybe they had more than one size shuttle and Robau simply took a smaller one since he was going alone?
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
When thet showed the shuttles in a line while Narada was on fire after the Kelvin rammed it they were probably the last of a long line of shuttles ahead of them.quote]
All of these posts pretty much answer your question!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

One was destroyed, so that only leaves 19 which is the number present if you count them against the sun. The shuttles all look to be no bigger than one another. Rabau and the other shuttle pilot could board the shuttle comfortably without ducking, so they are probably similar in size to the TOS shuttles. I put them at 9m long max. I guess 20 people could cram into one but what do I know since that many can fit into a vintage VW Beetle.

20 shuttles seems to be about the maximum the Kelvin's shuttle bay can hold as well.

So I say maybe 400 people got out alive but shuttle #37 just had 5 people in it.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
One was destroyed, so that only leaves 19 which is the number present if you count them against the sun. The shuttles all look to be no bigger than one another. Rabau and the other shuttle pilot could board the shuttle comfortably without ducking, so they are probably similar in size to the TOS shuttles. I put them at 9m long max. I guess 20 people could cram into one but what do I know since that many can fit into a vintage VW Beetle.

20 shuttles seems to be about the maximum the Kelvin's shuttle bay can hold as well.

So I say maybe 400 people got out alive but shuttle #37 just had 5 people in it.
We never saw the back interiors of the shuttle that Kirk was born on nor did we see the back of Robau's to see what kind of room it had.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Midshipman

Default Just Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
We're told that George Kirk, as Captain of the Kelvin in her last moments, saved around 800 lives. Yet only 20 shuttles escape from the vessel. That would mean an average of 40 people per shuttle. However when Captain Robau enters his shuttle on his way towards the Narada we are given a suggestion of the size and width of space available. I would estimate that it would hold around 10 men.

I then remembered that when Jim Kirk was leaving Earth in the shuttle Pike was flying, it had multiple rows of seating filled. That shuttle class could conceivably hold around 40 people. But it was a totally different model in comparison to the ones used in the Kelvin decades past, understandably.

Anyway, just something that was bothering me.
Just wondering, did you sit in the movie theatre and count how many of those little shuttles left the U.S.S. Kelvin? Thats seems like something I'd do. Maybe some beamed away or something. Some of them do seem rather huge though. You know large transport carriers like what they took to the Enterprise from San FranSisco!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Commander

that would suggest a crew of over 800 kind of much considering the size of the ship and crew complements of the TOS era

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Oh JJ you completely underestimated how good Trek fans are at figuring out errors in your work... 800? I think not!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Commander

Wait, you mean someone sat in the theatre and counted all the shuttles visible on-screen just so they could come on the internet and complain about it later?

If the Kelvin has a "Medical Shuttle 37", then that means she likely also has "Medical Shuttles 1 to 36", and possibly regular personnel shuttles in addition. They don't show them all onscreen. But then, they don't show all 800 crew onscreen either. Is someone gonna whine that the Kelvin only has 42 crew, because that's the number of main crew and extras we see in those scenes?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
We're told that George Kirk, as Captain of the Kelvin in her last moments, saved around 800 lives. Yet only 20 shuttles escape from the vessel. That would mean an average of 40 people per shuttle. However when Captain Robau enters his shuttle on his way towards the Narada we are given a suggestion of the size and width of space available. I would estimate that it would hold around 10 men.

I then remembered that when Jim Kirk was leaving Earth in the shuttle Pike was flying, it had multiple rows of seating filled. That shuttle class could conceivably hold around 40 people. But it was a totally different model in comparison to the ones used in the Kelvin decades past, understandably.

Anyway, just something that was bothering me.
They could have been stuffed in as tightly as possible. Highly uncomfortable, but at least they would be alive!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Admiral

This is like describing the water to a drowning man.

Being Captain for 12 minutes and saving 800 lives pretty much sets up Kirk's father as a hero not too far from the Kirk we know and looking at the Kelvin in the opening sequence, I completely bought that ship carried 800 people.

Somehow, someway those 800 got off the ship, whether it be shuttles or escape pods, it just wasn't shown in the ten, fifteen minutes that opened the movie. Watching that opening sequence, I completely bought 800 people got off that ship as George Kirk bought them the time they needed with his life.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 05-18-2009 at 01:45 AM.