The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Starship Brats...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Families on starships - good idea, bad idea?
A good idea 17 60.71%
A bad idea 7 25.00%
Don't really care either way 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sure, the computer can recognize your voice.

If families are aboard, sexual tension will be lower and fewer officers will play those holosuite-style programs. And you won't need so much of the special holodeck disinfection and cleaning spray.
I'm sure Riker's jazz club personal time eventually led to some raised eyebrows from the civilian cleaning staff.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Sure, the computer can recognize your voice.

If families are aboard, sexual tension will be lower and fewer officers will play those holosuite-style programs. And you won't need so much of the special holodeck disinfection and cleaning spray.
I hope that job is performed by a robot! Who would want to have a job like that in the future...or even now.

Worker in the future...complaining to fellow worker...
They can send a man to Talos V, but they can't find a way to save us from these menial jobs!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
You think that Quark buys an expensive robot to clean his holosuites?
And Starfleet officers always think that scrubbing plasma conduits is a degrading job.
I'd scrub plasma conduits all day to be there in the future, but keep me away from the Holosuite cleaning jobs!

I don't think that hotel rooms are kept as clean as they use to be, but, when I was growing up, while on vacations with my parents, every hotel bathroom had a jacket over the toilet seat that read, " Sanitized for Your Protection." Don't see those anymore. Would be a hoot to see one up across the entrance to a holosuite.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
The writers were aware it was a bit silly to some, which is why the contrast in Yesterday's Enterprise is so immediate and effective.
I think they realised it was an idea that while fine in theory, was not practical in terms of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
Just like a wagon train it's a good idea until the Indians attack or some alien relic infects the ship with a computer virus and it suffers a warp core breach like Yamato. I guess that's the chance you take.
Indeed - but in Star Trek we know that being on planets and colonies isn't any safer (attacks, planet-killers, the Borg, Tarses IV etc). So I always felt the argument that the ship could be put in dangerous situations to be valid but countered by the fact that there are a lot of unsafe places out there.

Quote:
If Starfleet officers don't want to take children with them, they don't have to. Free choice never hurts.
If the kids were to make the choice, I can't imagine that much of them would want to remain on "safe" mother Earth (where every now and then alien probes, nasty cyborgs, shapeshifters or genocidal madmen come by ).
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I was never a fan of the families on board Enterprise. It would be a different thing for me if maybe they were colonists or something along those lines, but a ship that has as one of it's main functions defense of Federation space it really made little sense. I know Gene had the idea that the ship would be out exploring for years at a time, but that isn't what really was presented in TNG. So for me it didn't work. I actually think something more along the lines of Enterprise C is what should have been used in TNG.
I think this is where remembering that the initial concept for the D was never made to pass. It was supposed to be a mission of exploration and it was supposed to go out into the unknown for 20 years or more - out of general contact with the Federation.

That was conceptually dumped very early on in favour of the ship just bobbing about the known Federation.

But by that time the show was in production and they couldn't go back the way very far.

So the families stayed aboard.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Indeed - but in Star Trek we know that being on planets and colonies isn't any safer (attacks, planet-killers, the Borg, Tarses IV etc). So I always felt the argument that the ship could be put in dangerous situations to be valid but countered by the fact that there are a lot of unsafe places out there.
Not even Earth is safe--such as in the case of Picard's brother and nephew...
Quote:
I think this is where remembering that the initial concept for the D was never made to pass. It was supposed to be a mission of exploration and it was supposed to go out into the unknown for 20 years or more - out of general contact with the Federation.

That was conceptually dumped very early on in favour of the ship just bobbing about the known Federation.

But by that time the show was in production and they couldn't go back the way very far.

So the families stayed aboard.
I've always kind of maintained that the Enterprise-D was somewhat atypical of a Galaxy-class vessel due to its status as the Federation flagship and that her sister ships got to operate in regions farther from a starbase or member world (at least until the Dominion War, anyway).

It's also plausible, though, that the first seven years of the Enterprise-D was simply "phase one" of her operational lifetime and that she may have been gearing up for a true extended deep-space exploration mission during Generations, but never got a chance to actually do it...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Not even Earth is safe--such as in the case of Picard's brother and nephew...
Well, true. They have weather modification systems to dissipate storms and they have underground technology to help against Earthquakes but a house fire can still get ya.

Quote:
I've always kind of maintained that the Enterprise-D was somewhat atypical of a Galaxy-class vessel due to its status as the Federation flagship and that her sister ships got to operate in regions farther from a starbase or member world (at least until the Dominion War, anyway).

It's also plausible, though, that the first seven years of the Enterprise-D was simply "phase one" of her operational lifetime and that she may have been gearing up for a true extended deep-space exploration mission during Generations, but never got a chance to actually do it...
That is possible - if we assume the Tech Manual line that the Galaxy was designed to operate for up to 100 years with regular minor and major overhauls then 7 years of operation is still in the cradle almost.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
So true, deep space exploration was the initial idea. And when they got the big chance to regularly do "strange new worlds" stories, we got VOY.
We got Tom Paris' tongue falling out and him turning into a lizard and Janeway turning into a lizard and them having lizard babies or something and.....

oh dear