The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDevlin View Post
I was a bit edgy at first and wasn't really fired up until about 1/2 way into the movie. I thought Pine at that point threw a few bones to Bill Shatner with a bit of the movement, pose and prose of the Kirk most of us knew and loved. Pine hit almost a perfect balance of not mimicking Shatner, but making sure that character was still there.

I would of liked to have seen just a smudge more of the Shatner Kirk, but hey it's Pine Kirk now. So I was thankful he gave me as much as he did, if that makes sense.
Second.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I don't quite see Pine as Kirk from the O.S. But, then again, he wasn't intended to be, with the whole Alternate Reality thing creating a different Kirk. One whose Dad dies before he was born leading to disfunctional relationships with booze and women with no father figure around. I also don't see him as heroic yet. In the movie he's more reckless than heroic, and more thrill-seeking than inspired.
He really is better.
I mean really if you had to choose young Shatner or Pine to play this role...It's a hands down Pine...In fact I can't even lock down Pine as just an awesome Kirk, he's a great actor, And I hope he takes this path to the whole and NOT get locked down by this performance but to go on do other and expand his pallette.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Midshipman

Default Liked Chris and Three Transportation Modes

Chris did a good job. The red corvette--I'm glad to know the corvette is still around in the 23rd century. It is the consummate astronauts' car of choice. Check NASA history. Someone dissed Chris riding the motorcycle onto the base, but after wrecking a 'vette, a motorcycle would be all he was allowed to ride (pasting in some backstory). If war was truly eliminated in the 23rd century, then of course he's be allowed onto the Star Fleet base. There would be little that was secret. As for the Enterprise, yeah, it looked a little off-scale sitting in dry dock, compared to the previous Trek movie where the Enterprise crashed onto earth and the crash showed the Enterprise was awesome in size.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Pine > Shatner.
Shatner is still the original my friend. I like them both, but Shatner was the first one to play the role so I'm not sure you can say that. Just like all Bonds will be compared to Connery. Don't get me wrong, I love PIne just like I love the new Bond, but they didn't lay the groundwork for these characters. JMO
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
Shatner is still the original my friend. I like them both, but Shatner was the first one to play the role so I'm not sure you can say that. Just like all Bonds will be compared to Connery. Don't get me wrong, I love PIne just like I love the new Bond, but they didn't lay the groundwork for these characters. JMO
As well.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I thought Pine did a fantastic job. He brought arrogance and humor to Kirk - a tough combination. At the end he brought in Kirk's compassion and heart. Another tough thing to do. Pine has an everyman good looks. His looks aren't as distinct as Quinto's nor as exotic but that fit's Kirk's farm boy roots. I thought both he and Quinto were at their best when they were acting opposite one another. It really made me look forward to the next movie.

Of course, I have to say I'm a bigger Spock/Quinto fan than Kirk/Pine but that takes nothing away from Chris.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

For me, Chris Pine was one of the best surprises of this movie. I'm not going to state all the reasons why he makes a perfect Kirk because they've all been said before in this thread.

And even though this new Kirk is not completely settled in his role of captain and he still has to mature and grow into it, I can say without a doubt that he is my favourite incarnation out of the two.

If I may add, Chris Pine has something that William Shatner definitely lacked: sex appeal. I don't care how many women Kirk got in the original series, I never found him sexy (and I'm not the only female fan to think so).

Old 05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post

If I may add, Chris Pine has something that William Shatner definitely lacked: sex appeal. I don't care how many women Kirk got in the original series, I never found him sexy (and I'm not the only female fan to think so).
Chris has a much better acting range too, if I'm being perfectly honest. He's very natural. I have to say, if you put the two Kirks side by side and told me to pick one, I'd actually pick Chris Pine's Kirk too.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
I will always like the original...
But even I must give the credit where credit is due...and Pine...was amazing. He made it his own and he frankly...blew it out of the park.
THE SHIP is crap...
But it's captain in PINE is an amazing upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Chris has a much better acting range too, if I'm being perfectly honest. He's very natural. I have to say, if you put the two Kirks side by side and told me to pick one, I'd actually pick Chris Pine's Kirk too.
I think the girls would too...
I couldnit' blame them.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think the girls would too...
I couldnit' blame them.
Well, I am a girl, so you're definitely right.