The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
This is so TOS.
~
Yes it is! And the movie actually moves from being "not so TOS" to more TOS toward the end.
I agree they got the characters' essences right. Hugely gratified at that. I hadn't realized how nervous I was about that before May 8.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eridani View Post
Yes it is! And the movie actually moves from being "not so TOS" to more TOS toward the end.
I agree they got the characters' essences right. Hugely gratified at that. I hadn't realized how nervous I was about that before May 8.
OMG

I was convinced this movie would be cr@p. Complete poo. Ugh. Was not looking forward too it. Was appalled... APPALLED at the origin "we all meet as children" approach.

LOL

I freaking loved it
~
Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
OMG
APPALLED at the origin "we all meet as children" approach.
~
DISNEY BABIES
Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
DISNEY BABIES
LOL!!!!

90210 Star Trek
~
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Lieutenant

Erruve, was also skeptical going in to see it for the first time, although the trailers looked good. But, it surpassed everything I'd hoped for. And, I agree about the characters. I really don't care about the technology. Scotty makes a transwarp transporter out of an old shuttlecraft transporter...one drop of 'red matter' can implode a whole planet, etc. Doesn't bother me, at all.

If done correctly and in character, Kirk, McCoy, and Spock could sit chatting for two hours and I'd enjoy it. It's the characters that make the show.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Ensign

All of the Kirk/Spock interactions were very interesting, and they played large role moving the narrative forward. At the end of the movie we are left at the point where their relationship is just beginning: Kirk wants Spock by his side, and the latter is willing to yield to him, but Spock's trust in him is not quite rock solid yet. If the writers stay on course and keep up the quality, the next film should provide a satisfying viewer experience watching this tentative relationship becoming a real friendship.

In one interview Pine said that he started watching TOS episodes in preparation of the film, but then he stopped in fear that he would end up making a bad impersonation of Shatner. He also said that what most influenced him from Shatner was the humor and his physicality. He also took elements of that physicality and blended them with his own interpretation of the role. Here is the interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hBbAqRV_uc (3:50)
Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
If done correctly and in character, Kirk, McCoy, and Spock could sit chatting for two hours and I'd enjoy it. It's the characters that make the show.
They could sit around a campfire singing Row Row Row Your Boat...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
They could sit around a campfire singing Row Row Row Your Boat...
Ha Ha Ha like that would ever happen!

oh wait
~
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
All of the Kirk/Spock interactions were very interesting, and they played large role moving the narrative forward. At the end of the movie we are left at the point where their relationship is just beginning: Kirk wants Spock by his side, and the latter is willing to yield to him, but Spock's trust in him is not quite rock solid yet. If the writers stay on course and keep up the quality, the next film should provide a satisfying viewer experience watching this tentative relationship becoming a real friendship.
I don't know if I will survive the wait for the 3rd movie if this is that good.
~
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
Yep, that tentative nod from Spock said much. And, he seems skeptical when Spock Prime tells him he and Kirk can become good friends, etc. I hope they don't make Spock and Kirk all buddy-buddy in the next film. They need to let Spock's trust build and Kirk work for it a bit more.