The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What do you think of Chris Pine as Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I definitely don't think quinto did better than the original Spock.
But lets face it...it's not hard to do better than Shat.
But he blew it out the water.

By God, man! Bite your tongue! Shatner was a big part of the original series success and fantastic as Kirk. Don't get me wrong, I thought Pine was wonderful, but give respectful homage to the original ham known as the Shat!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant

This thread has been fun, but I think we need to keep any comparisons in perspective. I mean, if Bill Shatner and Leonard had those special effects and toys, they would have looked better also. Not to mention Pine/Quinto not having to deal with infusing our memories to whatever small extent with tribble (no pun intended....lol) like "Spocks Brain".

Chris Pine hopes he looks as good as Shatner at almost 80!! But I am not in disagreement with anyone. Clearly Pine was good and is nice to look at. As a guy, I am really surprised at the "looks" thing. I mean Shatner to me was a good looking dude. Remember he was also 5 years older then Pine is now during WNMHGB. Go watch Shatner in "Jury at Nurenburg" and say he isn't good looking. But hey, I'm a guy who just happens to be hetero, so I guess I really don't get a say. Just was surprised at it I guess.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Ensign

Well I am female and a fan of TOS. Yes Shatner is good looking and looked great in TOS. NO ONE can take that away from him.

However, Chris Pine is HOT!!! Nothing to do with Shatner at all. (I mentioned this in another thread...) My girlfriend who hates all science fiction movies only came to see the movie because I bribed her with pics of Chris Pine She ended up loving the movie and now is a fan of star trek, to the point where she wants to borrow my TOS dvd's.

Firedevlin, the hotness of Chris Pine is such a girl thing, don't even try to figure it out LOL...

Last edited by Royale : 05-23-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
Firedevlin, the hotness of Chris Pine is such a girl thing, don't even try to figure it out LOL...
Go to the Bay Area. You might find some guys there who agree with you.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Go to the Bay Area. You might find some guys there who agree with you.
I was replying to firedevlin who noted in his post that he is a hetero, and seeing that I am one also, my statement makes perfect sense from one hetero to the other.

But your post did make me laugh out loud and yes I totally agree with your statement
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Midshipman

I thought Pine was good, but Bill Shatner did a better job of playing Kirk in the original series. Chris Pine at times just looked a little too young for the role, and I liked Zach Quinto as Spock. He did a very credible job, but Spock Prime was infinitely better in his role! He was just great! I also liked the intellegent low key meeting between the two(younger and older Spock). It thought it was very well done.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
Well I am female and a fan of TOS. Yes Shatner is good looking and looked great in TOS. NO ONE can take that away from him.

However, Chris Pine is HOT!!! Nothing to do with Shatner at all. (I mentioned this in another thread...) My girlfriend who hates all science fiction movies only came to see the movie because I bribed her with pics of Chris Pine She ended up loving the movie and now is a fan of star trek, to the point where she wants to borrow my TOS dvd's.

Tell'em honey...
He's better.

If you could only have one...you'd know the choice before you even make it.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickfire View Post
I thought Pine was good, but Bill Shatner did a better job of playing Kirk in the original series. Chris Pine at times just looked a little too young for the role, and I liked Zach Quinto as Spock. He did a very credible job, but Spock Prime was infinitely better in his role! He was just great! I also liked the intellegent low key meeting between the two(younger and older Spock). It thought it was very well done.
Are you talking about the whole series? Or just the pilot?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Midshipman

Just been to see the movie a second time. Noticed something about Pine, he's slightly cross-eyed (the left eye being the "lazy" one), I think it adds to his overall attractiveness.

I also think they ingeniously used this in the movie when McCoy is reciting the symptoms after giving him the vaccination: "The vision in your left eye will go slightly blurry..."
Old 05-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Midshipman

I have to give Pine props for his performance of Kirk. As a life long fan of Trek (currently 32) there have been a ton of characters, as performed by the actors, that I sincerely loved watching on the movies or a TV series. Riker, Sisko, and Tuvok stand out as my top three. I always liked the TOS, but its characters never were my favorite. I always thought Picard, Sisko, and hell, maybe even Janeway were better than Kirk... until now. Pine has sold me that Kirk is indeed the best captain in Trek.