The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nurse Chapel IS in the movie. Sorta.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Chapel always was and will be a third tier character at best.
She only gained importance in the series because Roddenberry was sleeping with Majel while cheating on his wife before finally divorcing her after a few years of that. He had already moved on from Nichelle Nichols, but it did get her a placement on the show.

Roddenberry tried to push Majel's studio frowned-upon stardom up a notch by making her more of a focus, and the series suffered for it. But, it was the bosses' biatch so as an actor you played ball.
Lol - I have to leap to Majel's defence! The series suffered from the loss of Rand rather than anything to do with Chapel and she hardly became 'more of a focus' as the show progressed. In fact two of her meatiest roles were in the first half of season one while Rand was still around. Chapel was the lowest of the recurring characters because she was the 'straight man' to McCoy in sick bay and only ever got to do anything when she was mooning over Spock. I think she was forcibly beamed down to a planet once or twice but I don't recall her ever being picked for an away team in spite of her established scientific credentials.

She does have potential as a character (albeit not as much as Rand) but she'll never be more than a bit part if they never let her out of sick bay.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
She does have potential as a character (albeit not as much as Rand) but she'll never be more than a bit part if they never let her out of sick bay.
True. Maybe they will turn her into a battlefield medic of sorts following the redshirts. On second thought, Im not sure thats such a good idea.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Admiral

I think Chapel only went to two planets. The one where she was looking for her lost fiance (a week after telling Spock she loved him) and the time the fake Greek people forced her and Uhura to come down and play with the boys.

I'm sure she'll be in the next movie. Minimally, we need to spend more time in Sick Bay because we didn't get a chance to look around much.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
She only gained importance in the series because Roddenberry was sleeping with Majel while cheating on his wife before finally divorcing her after a few years of that. He had already moved on from Nichelle Nichols, but it did get her a placement on the show.

Roddenberry tried to push Majel's studio frowned-upon stardom up a notch by making her more of a focus, and the series suffered for it.

But, it was the bosses' biatch so as an actor you played ball.
I asked in another thread if Gene hit on Gracie Lee Whitney, do you know? Just curious is all.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I asked in another thread if Gene hit on Gracie Lee Whitney, do you know? Just curious is all.
Hit on? Probably. Most likely.
Affair... as in long running? Not that I'm aware of. All that is mentioned is the sexual assault charge against a Desilu executive with no names involved.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Hit on? Probably. Most likely.
Affair... as in long running? Not that I'm aware of. All that is mentioned is the sexual assault charge against a Desilu executive with no names involved.
Sounds like Gene. It has Roddenberry written all over it!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I really liked the cameo. Chapel is always going to be playing second fiddle to McCoy in a movie - there just isn't enough time to give her anything to do. I have a bigger issue with the absence of Rand, since they could easily have involved her in the action. Hopefully, now that Kirk is in place, there will be a space for her to appear in the next film. They really need to mkae more use of the established female characters. Two were entirely absent, one got killed, and Chapel got a miniscule cameo.
and maybe bring Gaila into the mix?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekKing View Post
and maybe bring Gaila into the mix?
She was hilarious! They really fumbled the ball when it came to using established alien races but her cameo was fun.

If they make more use of the orions in the next plot I'd really like to see her back. Otherwise if I have to go with pheromones, I'd rather see a new version of Ilia - only because Deltans have more going for them in terms of alienness, particularly if you read the novelisation of Star Trek 2 about the Deltan that Khan tortures to death.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
She was hilarious! They really fumbled the ball when it came to using established alien races but her cameo was fun.

If they make more use of the orions in the next plot I'd really like to see her back. Otherwise if I have to go with pheromones, I'd rather see a new version of Ilia - only because Deltans have more going for them in terms of alienness, particularly if you read the novelisation of Star Trek 2 about the Deltan that Khan tortures to death.
and . . . how . . . do you torture a Deltan?

never mind. not sure I wanna know.

And, I think Gaila should be given a major minor spot. y'know, like one of the common recurring characters? not like a McCoy or an Uhura, but like a Rand or a Chapel.

plus, it;d be good to have another named nonhuman officer other than Spock. Actually, she'd be kinda the polar opposite of Spock, ja?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
So, she's not even a secondary character? She was like an extra? WTF? It was nurse Chapel that was supposed to have the hots for Spock, was we see in "The Naked Time" episode of TOS. But now he's hooking up with Uhura. This Alternate Reality screws Chapel up big time.
Quote:

Roddenberry tried to push Majel's studio frowned-upon stardom up a notch by making her more of a focus, and the series suffered for it.

But, it was the bosses' biatch so as an actor you played ball.
LOL

If we're going to talk about TOS as a measure of what should happen in the alternate universe, Uhura flirting with Spock pre-dated Chapel telling him that she loved him... "Mantrap" and "Charlie X" aired before "The Naked Time" (and "Mantrap" was produced before it, too).

Personally, I thought Spock and Uhura always had much more interesting chemistry, but Majel = current girlfriend, WHITE... Nichelle = ex-girlfiend, BLACK... guess which pairing would get more focus in the subsequent episodes, and which would be all but dropped, except in deleted scenes and rare subtle hints? Yeah.

So sorry if I am not going to cry over Chapel's character being 'screwed' by the new timeline: what goes around, comes around.