The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wait, how can Spock be half human/half Vulcan?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Captain

The writers let slip a nice little chance through their fingers to show of they have done their homeworks on the Sci-part in Sci-Fi.

Vulcan Bully 1: "Spock, we wonder. Your father is vulcan while your mother is human. Genetic incompability is what constitutes the term species by definition. Therefore your parents must have attended a clinic to breed you."

Young Spock: "This is your 132nd attempt to evoke an emotional response from me and all you can come up with is to imply my birth was... unnatural?"

Vulcan Bully 2: "Was it not?"

Young Spock: "It does not matter. Nature does not know morale nor purpose. To label an event unnatural does not state anything about its ethical qualities."

Vulcan Bully 1: "He changes the subject."

Vulcan Bully 2: "The subject is, why a vulcan traitor marries a human ***** to breed an unnatural bastard child?"

Done.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Lieutenant

The answer is that differing kinds cannot crossbreed, and this notion in Star Trek is just another instance of non-science fantasy that was implemented by Roddenberry for philosophical and dramatic, not scientific, reasons.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Vice Admiral

I thought the reason that Spock had no siblings was because of the complicated process Sarek and Amanda had to go through to have Spock. Where did I read that??
Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
Organisms of different genus are unable to sexually reproduce. For example, a dog can't have sex with a cat and then have offspring.

Vulcans and Humans are two different species from different worlds. How is it biologically possible for Spock to be half human and half Vulcan?
The only animal I know of that has copper based blood is the horseshoe crab. That is one reason they are used in medical research. To think that any iron based life in the sea - a blue crab for instance - could crossbreed natually with a horseshoe crab it a bit far fetched. However, scientists have placed salmon DNA into tomatoes and they are even farther apart than humans and Vulcans.

Maybe we'll find out if Uhura gets pregnant...

Regarding the Vulcan bully, did anyone wonder if that most agressive boy was supposed to be Spock's half brother? Who else would feel such anger over Sarek marrying Amanda?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I thought the reason that Spock had no siblings was because of the complicated process Sarek and Amanda had to go through to have Spock. Where did I read that??
I'll bet whoever it was that wrote it was D.C. Fontana...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Regarding the Vulcan bully, did anyone wonder if that most agressive boy was supposed to be Spock's half brother? Who else would feel such anger over Sarek marrying Amanda?
That would be good...didn't think of that! If they never acknowledge the bully as Sybock in the movies, at least it gives the book writers an opening!

Then again, in this universe, Sybock may never have been conceived...

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Then again, in this universe, Sybock may never have been conceived...
We can only hope.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR585 View Post
Organisms of different genus are unable to sexually reproduce. For example, a dog can't have sex with a cat and then have offspring.

Vulcans and Humans are two different species from different worlds. How is it biologically possible for Spock to be half human and half Vulcan?
Well when a mommy Human and a daddy Vulcan love each other very much they...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Commander

Diane Carey explained this in one of the novels that there was considerable genetic work that was necessary to produce a viable offspring. I think that the TREK universe works better when we soften the edges of science a little bit. The TOS episode makes mention to the ancient Preservers who are believed to have seeded the galaxy with humans (particularly groups that seemed to be in danger of dying out) thousands of years ago. If Humans and VUlcans both were products of these Preservers then there may be some rational for the viability of such an mating.
Just remember, Star Trek = Soft science. If you want to really screw up your mental processes get out a real star chart and begin calculating distances vs. warp factors and see just how ridiculous those equations become.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Lieutenant Commander

This is Hercules.

His dad is a Lion and his mom is a Tiger.

Have a nice day.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Commander

Tigons and ligers are bred, obviously, from lions and tigers - that are both terrestrial creatures, and both extremely closely related. Like, probably 99% of their DNA is the same. Certainly, they can cross-breed - just like donkeys and horses, cats and rabbits.
But that's a very far cry indeed from two species from different worlds producing viable offspring without any scientific intervention