The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Ttfn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Admiral

I'll miss you bud! Dont be a complete stranger.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Interesting irony that someone who just gave his opinion about all previous Trek incarnations does not like reading people's opinion about the new Trek movie.
Opinions are one thing. Endless freaking *****ing that the warp nacelles are off one micon to the left are another thing entirely.

If people really loved Trek, they'd be happy it's still around instead of nitpicking it to death.

I think a lot of people have left because of the endless whining. There are a lot of "old hands" that I don't see posting anymore - perhaps cause it's not as fun as it used to be? I was ready for an influx of trolls when the movie hit, but I underestimated the, well, how do I say this nicely? I underestimated the number of people who take Trek just a little bit too seriously, and would feel the need to vent their spleen.

But fear not! I'll stick around just to slap the trolls around for my own personal amusement.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

If people like to discuss the size of the Enterprise or the curvature of Spock's ears, that's their business.
I fail to see what a short opinion like "I liked the movie for its epicness and characters but it lacked substance and was thematically a bit thin" has to do with nitpicking or trolling.

Live and let live.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Opinions are one thing. Endless freaking *****ing that the warp nacelles are off one micon to the left are another thing entirely.

If people really loved Trek, they'd be happy it's still around instead of nitpicking it to death.

I think a lot of people have left because of the endless whining. There are a lot of "old hands" that I don't see posting anymore - perhaps cause it's not as fun as it used to be? I was ready for an influx of trolls when the movie hit, but I underestimated the, well, how do I say this nicely? I underestimated the number of people who take Trek just a little bit too seriously, and would feel the need to vent their spleen.

But fear not! I'll stick around just to slap the trolls around for my own personal amusement.
I like the cut of your jib, Sister.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I like the cut of your jib, Sister.
You should see my gaff-topsail, baby.

And Horatio, I refer to those who go beyond discussing and into *****ing.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

William Shatner, SNL, 1986:

"It's just a TVShow - it's just a TV Show'...
Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Midshipman

Dominus, I agree with you 100%. Complaints about the "E" being too big or Spock's ears not being pointy enough are plain stupid. And complaints about it not meeting Gene's vision are absurd. I have grown to dislike the "true fans" who complain that the new film is nothing like their star trek. True it is nothing like TNG or the spinoffs, but it does a very good job of capturing the spirit of the original.

My question is, was what we saw in TNG realy Gene's vision? After all he was only producer for the first two seasons, after that Michael Piller and Rick Berman took over due to Gene's ill health
Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by q3ark View Post
My question is, was what we saw in TNG realy Gene's vision?
I personally do not care wether it was Genes vision or not. I even find the word vision all to pretentious anyway. But Star Trek definatly had something that made it outstanding compared to almost all TV-shows and many many other Sci-Fi products - idealism, sometimes naive idealism. So, yes, I miss that in the new movie. But then I also see that this movie was about the spectacle and geting the crew together. And it did a great job in doing right that.

However, whats the complaint here actually? I do not really understand. Some folks cant stand the movie? Well, okay. What did you expect? That J.J. Abrams waves his magic stick and everyone gets happy? Or that those who did not like it would just suddenly shut up?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
I personally do not care wether it was Genes vision or not. I even find the word vision all to pretentious anyway.
Well the substitute the word "vision" for "idea" then, it still means the same thing in the context of my post .

Quote:
However, whats the complaint here actually? I do not really understand.
Quote:
By the O.P. Dominus

Then...I read comments on the board like, "They made the film sooo dumb that the real fans are insulted while others that don't know better eat it up," or words to that effect. I read that the writers don't respect the "true" fans at all. I would submit "Lost In Space" to see a movie produced by someone who didn't give a hoot about the fan base. Nevertheless, I understand--as I'm sure Mr. Abrams does--that one cannot please everyone. I am, however, shocked (if I may be so bold) by the ingratitude I've read on this forum. What Mr. Abrams has done is nothing short of miraculous. He has taken a franchise that had generated--by it's own doing--a fan base that has the following stereotype: Anal retentive, living-in-the-basement-of-mama's house-looking, pimpled-faced, horn-rimmed glasses wearing, know-it-all geeks--and turned it BACK into what it was when it first aired in the 1960's: A cool, stylish, optimistic and, yes, kick-butt look into the future.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Damn you oughta see the complete a-holes I met while I was heavily into Star Wars. That's one of the reasons I don't know and or get involved in group activities with people who are into the same stuff I'm into because there is a 99.999% probably they are going to be a-holes.