The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Ttfn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Captain

Dom, when the DVD comes out you should have a party and only invite the cool kids. You know who they are.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Ensign

Dom I see your point without doubt. I haven't been a member for but as the weeks have gone by the board has gone from a spirited debate to anger and hatred of change. There are still many great posts and those are the fun, filtering is hard though.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Lieutenant

Dominus: Although I agree that there is a certain amount of what you might call "bashing" or complaints that the new movie "dumbs down Star Trek," I'm not sure it really is an inordinate amount. I may be mistaken here, but I think the majority on this board are people who agree with you (and me) that the new film is a breath of fresh air in our beloved franchise. Like others who have responded to you, I would encourage you to stick around and read threads that discuss the more positive aspects of the film. And I'd like you to consider that if you vacate, you will tip the scales even further in their favor. My own answer to these "Don't Like It, Never Will" folks will be to post more often so as to drown out the noise. Besides, some of their posts are actually quite amusing, in an "Archie Bunker" kind of way.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Commander

Why not hang in there Dominus? You may find you have more to offer in the way of opinions and ideas than you realize. I've been discouraged too, so discouraged I asked one of the mods to erase my persona and left the board. Then I realized I missed this place, and talking to all the people here and discussing and debating their varied veiwpoints. So I made a new persona and came back, and I've been enjoying myself ever since. You should stay and stick it out and keep expressing yourself. Someone on this board will doubtlessly agree with much of what you say, some will not. The human race's strongest trait is our ability to thrive in diversity and adversity. Keep em' flying Dominus.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Federation Councillor

If some of the criticism was particularly unwarranted I would see the point. But we have to take the good with the bad and take everyone's opinions onboard - whether we personally agree with them or not.

I don't think all of the points against the film so far are without merit, but most of us still loved every minute of it.

I think it would be great if you hung in here DoM, for a bit longer anyway. It's still less than a week since the film came out, and discussion is still running high about it.

Give it a bit of time to settle back down again.

But if not, hope to catch u around sometime!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Dominus. It is frequently miserable on here, escpecially given how fun and widely well received the film has been. I personally think people get into the tone of the forum and their own argument and forget how bloody negative they're being (I've been equally guilty of this). Everyone has the right to enjoy or not enjoy a movie. It's when people start lecturing the industry professionals about specific points on how to write or how to photograph the movie or how to design the art that I become weary (e.g. "why don't the writers check their work? - blah blah blah").

Good luck Dominus.

Last edited by Scribbler : 05-14-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Interesting irony that someone who just gave his opinion about all previous Trek incarnations does not like reading people's opinion about the new Trek movie.
Interesting symmetry for someone who does not like considering alternate viewpoints to pick the name Horatio. There are more things dreamt of after all.

To the OP, sorry to see you go, you will be missed. However before you do I'd like to interject:

You said you are a Battlestar fan correct? Do you not remember all the Sound and Fury of the emo-whino "truefans" when the new series launched? They nagged and moaned across the internet space-time, but eventually, they were made irrelevant and forgotten.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this WILL happen again with these trekkie "truefans". And they know it too, that's why they're out in full force these days, the last final burst of background noise from a dying star.

I propose you stick around, if only to watch their slow painful demise. I greatly enjoyed watching the BSG diehards be silenced and discarded, and quite frankly I expect I'm going to enjoy watching the same thing happen to the trekkie elite even more.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Ensign

Dom, excellent post. I'm new to the boards, but have lurked here for months. I'm in complete agreement with you, except the part where you want to abandon this board.

I've been a fan of Star Trek since TOS originally aired on network tv. Yup, I'm that old and I've loved the series since. I'm a "trekkie" in the sense that I was one of those fans who watched the syndicated episodes, read all the books and novelizations, bought all the merchandise; I helped keep ST alive in the beginning, when most thought of us as geeks. No matter, I knew what I liked.
I liked TNG (except for the speeches and eye-rolling techno-babble), but had no interest for the follow-up ST series'. I tried to watch them, but they were all a far cry from the original. I don't know how many more "level-2 diagnostics" or "space anomolies" plot devices I can stand. I was hoping for something - anything! - more, but nothing materialized.

Until now. With the new Star Trek. Once again, I am excited, enthralled, in love with the concept that made me such a believer those decades ago. So it also pains me to see those who are desperately trying to bring it down. I truly don't understand their mindset. So it breaks canon - so what? Good! If canon is what the follow-up series' adhered to, then it cannot be abandoned soon enough. Rather than make the new movie series restrained by canon, let the creators be free to create a new ST universe. Let Star Trek be Star Trek.
Anyway, sorry to see you go. Yours is a most enlightening post.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I am the first one to protest when people bash and smash any producer or writer.
But most people here utter their opinion in a reasonable and polite way.
Horatio, you and I have enjoyed bantering back and forth, as with many others. I am in agreement with you here. I hate to see our fellow Trekkie, we don't want the board to end up stalling out. I LOVE this site for all the reasons Dominus is leaving. I don't understand why the "rubber suited" aliens would be a reason to stop watching the series, (we don't have any real ones to hire ). I feel, for the most part, there are only a paltry few people who are "in your face" or "in you space" here. Being a member of a forum is a business that one must have a thick skin. If not for all this debate and even some negative comments about the new movie, I wouldn't have gone! I used to be, and hope to be again, a motivational speaker, as well as a Minister, and I feel without debate, our nation, or any nation for that matter, would die!
I get my feelings hurt sometimes, and yes a few come along and make me say "HE DIDN'T JUST TYPE THAT!" But, that said, many of those things just made my opinions stronger. I am sorry to see two of our nice people leave and we all have that right. But, I enjoy so much PEOPLE WHO PISS ME OFF ENOUGH TO MAKE ME THINK!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to emphasize here that I don't like trolls who come in to make trouble, I agree, that is different, but there are few of them. These Trekkies who don't like this movie, I love them!