The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Ttfn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Captain

Default Ttfn

I am very happy to have met the acquaintance of so many wonderful people on this forum. You've made me laugh. You've made me think. I am, however sadly, going to make this my last post for a while. Let me explain my feelings.

When Star Trek Voyager aired, my hopes were raised that we would have a ground-breaking series. Little by little, however, my hopes were dimmed because I saw week after week a ship that was badly damaged return next week as if it spent time in space dock being repaired. I also grew weary of the "rubber alien suit" syndrom...the alien of the week...the tedious technobable. When Enterprise aired, again, my hopes were raised, only to be immediately cast down by the same stale plot lines...the same rubber alien suit...Sigh.

When ST: Nemesis aired, seeing the Reman look like bad slices of Hog Head Cheese (my southern brothers and sisters know what I mean)--especially the wiggly ears, did the trick. I was turned off Trek. It lost its appeal to me. I grew more and more tired of seeing vessels capable of traversing the stars powered by the grand flashing tube of power. I know it was a TV budget, but at least TOS gave the illusion of a vast engineering section--with rows and rows of pistons behind the protective screen in the background. Suddenly, the re imaging of a show called "Battlestar Galactica" aired. It blew me away. It took the premise of ST: Voyager and ran with it.

With all of these things, Star Trek, to me died. It became a relic. The spirit of the Original Series was electromagnetically imprisoned on DVD or VHS. Perhaps it touched us in repeats on Nick at Nite or in syndication in Remastered form. But no one had the vision to bring that spirit back. Many ships have come with the name Enterprise, but none rekindled that spark. None had the spirit of adventure. All there has been have been, in my eyes, self-important speeches about the human condition by these flawless crew members. Shatner's Kirk gave his speeches, but after a rollicking good time. Star Trek was once fun. It latter became a puffed-up semi-adventurous show, wanting desperately to say something important, but overwhelmed by itself...it's fan base...its "canon", it could not ever rekindle it's creative & adventurous spark. It could not "go boldly" because it was so attached to it's past. At least BSG was honest about the human condition without the speeches to a Q, X, Y, or Z.

When word about the movie "Star Trek" by J.J. Abrams started to come out, I at first was NOT interested. Another movie in a dead franchise, showing people in rubbery alien suits and some technobable bable to explain away a dire situation. As I investigated more and more, and then when the first teaser trailer hit the web, my interests were peaked! Echos of John Glenn and JFK as "Enterprise" was under construction. Could they bring back that spirit of optimism? Could they really pull it off? Would this producer and his team of writers--and even the SFX guys--understand that "Star Trek" was REALLY about THE CHARACTERS, not the ship or its size...Not the location of planets...not the number of explosions...but the CHARACTERS and how these characters interacted with each other--giving an example to a contemporary audience of a hopeful tomorrow?

I shared my views with members of this forum--surprised in doing so, because I REALLY WAS THROUGH with all things Trek. Battlestar's writing was so profound--the acting so superb, and the SFX mind blowing--how could I go back to hokey & stale "Star Trek"? As the day of the opening approached, I grew more and more optimistic. Then, I saw it...I saw what I thought I would never see, save repeats. I saw the spirit of optimism in a brighter future--where the best and brightest from diverse backgrounds worked together toward a common goal. I saw these young people jockey TO SERVE aboard the best starship because they KNEW they had the right stuff. I saw stellar special effects and a stunning new take on an old space faring friend. I saw the ground work for future films. I saw a staff of writers and producers accomplish something I feared was gone forever. They freed the spirit of Star Trek from the realm of DVDs and repeats and brought it from the past century to this one. They had a mission, and they stated it all along the process: "To win new fans to the fan base. To make Star Trek relevant to today's audience. To bring Star Trek back." And they succeeded, and succeeded wildly. The best reviewed Star Trek film ever! The largest grossing Star Trek film to date (even if past films were adjusted for inflation)...They not only expanded DRAMATICALLY the fan base, they brought a disenfranchised fan back.

Then...I read comments on the board like, "They made the film sooo dumb that the real fans are insulted while others that don't know better eat it up," or words to that effect. I read that the writers don't respect the "true" fans at all. I would submit "Lost In Space" to see a movie produced by someone who didn't give a hoot about the fan base. Nevertheless, I understand--as I'm sure Mr. Abrams does--that one cannot please everyone. I am, however, shocked (if I may be so bold) by the ingratitude I've read on this forum. What Mr. Abrams has done is nothing short of miraculous. He has taken a franchise that had generated--by it's own doing--a fan base that has the following stereotype: Anal retentive, living-in-the-basement-of-mama's house-looking, pimpled-faced, horn-rimmed glasses wearing, know-it-all geeks--and turned it BACK into what it was when it first aired in the 1960's: A cool, stylish, optimistic and, yes, kick-butt look into the future.

My nickname may have been "Mr. Spock" as a kid, but even though I was a kid placed in AP due to what "they" call a high IQ, I was never thought of as "nerd" or "geek". Perhaps a "JERD"--a jock and nerd combined, but never either or. I was just as passionate about athletics as I was about academics. So, in present day, when I talked about this new movie on my job, at least seven people who said they never would have thought they'd see a film with the words "Star Trek" in it, did...and they loved it! They saw a movie that was not "puffed up" with self-importance...with flawless humans ready to give a moral speech to some alien race. They heard the moral speech between Spock and Spock Prime, but it didn't come across..."Picardian". But as I read more and more of the negativity, it's just really starting to turn me off, if I may be honest.

So, I'll miss so many of you all, and I'm sure I'll pop by from time to time just to lurk...maybe even post. But so much ingratitude toward the thing that just made Trek relevant to the global discussion again is just....just...tiring, and is sapping the thrill of the film from me. I've said this once before: If I'm invited to a banquet and the only things on the menu are cabbage and shellfish, I kindly tip my hat, and then respectfully decline.

Be grateful for what you have been given...or kindly walk away friends.

May God's very best be yours.

Dominus of Megadeus
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Commander

But a wonderful post! If you really feel you have to go, please at least pop in and out from time to time for a visit. And you better be back for STXII! (well, the fun run up to the the release, at any rate. And then like a week or two after or something.)
Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Live long, and Prosper.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Commander

dude, you are right.
I've been in complete amazement at the views expressed here.
I never realized that people who I believed to be my fellow Trek fans were so close-minded.
I think it simple snobbery.
they don't want a TREK for everyone.
I'm out of here too.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER (but I say that in the snarky way Spock did to the council)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Lieutenant

Great post. I totally agree and I'm sorry to see you go.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Dominus, I am sad to see you go. I do hope indeed that you drop back by from time to time.

I have been and always shall be your friend.

\\\/// May the Force Be With Yo---er--Live Long and Prosper

Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

As Admiral of Starbase Houston...

It is my sad duty to accept your resignation from Star Fleet on this forum. Your courage in the face of pessimism and doubt are a testament to your dedication to the uniform which stands for the great multitude of cultures and ideas that are at our beckon call.

You are our Best and Brightest.
We will continue, diminished by your absence, but certainly encouraged by your memory. More importantly, you will always be my friend and my optimism.

Farewell, Commander Dominus Megadeus...

Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
As Admiral of Starbase Houston...

It is my sad duty to accept your resignation from Star Fleet on this forum. Your courage in the face of pessimism and doubt are a testament to your dedication to the uniform which stands for the great multitude of cultures and ideas that are at our beckon call.

You are our Best and Brightest.
We will continue, diminished by your absence, but certainly encouraged by your memory. More importantly, you will always be my friend and my optimism.

Farewell, Commander Dominus Megadeus...
Are ye' sure ye' dinna wanna end that with.... Nomine Padre, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti? (just kidding, Saquist)

Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Interesting irony that someone who just gave his opinion about all previous Trek incarnations does not like reading people's opinion about the new Trek movie.
Well, as he stated, it's tiresome. The arguments are absurd. People call themselves Trek fans but they seem to want to destroy the one chance for Trek to become relevent again.
Not liking the film is one thing. Not liking it and stating your reasons why are perfectly fine.
But the continued bashing and utter hatred that is being spewed by people calling themselves "fans" is appalling.