The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Battlestar Galactica, the new and the old!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Default Battlestar Galactica, the new and the old!

Hello, anyone out there care to discuss the new Battlestar Galcatica or the old!
Sorry if there's already been a thread about this already.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Lieutenant

The flame wars over on skiffy were interesting, to say the least. Old show, loved the intro theme. New show, could have done w/o the quadrangle of doom but enjoy pretty much everything else. The speech by Tigh in last season's finale where he said "My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, that's the man I want to be." (Might be paraphrasing a bit) That was just goosebump material the way he delivered it. His anguish on New Caprica with Ellen's death... whoa. Very 'geek' to admit it, but when the Galactica was getting pounded at New Caprica and they panned out to the Pegasus coming in all batteries blazing, I had a jump out of the chair w/a fist pump reaction. Was too cool. Can't wait for the new episodes to FINALLY start.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieinSC View Post
The flame wars over on skiffy were interesting, to say the least. Old show, loved the intro theme. New show, could have done w/o the quadrangle of doom but enjoy pretty much everything else. The speech by Tigh in last season's finale where he said "My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, that's the man I want to be." (Might be paraphrasing a bit) That was just goosebump material the way he delivered it. His anguish on New Caprica with Ellen's death... whoa. Very 'geek' to admit it, but when the Galactica was getting pounded at New Caprica and they panned out to the Pegasus coming in all batteries blazing, I had a jump out of the chair w/a fist pump reaction. Was too cool. Can't wait for the new episodes to FINALLY start.
When the Pegasus came to the rescue I woke up neighbors. It was one of the best, most thrilling moments in television I've seen. That and when the Galactica jumps into the atmosphere and does that free fall maneuver which afterward had to be called the Adama maneuver; probably in the book next to the Picard maneuver.

That speech of Tigh's was great too. Just the shock of finding out what those 4 characters were and the fact that it was a Jimmy Hendrix song that lead them to that point! Where in the world did the music come from, it had to be from earth? What's that mean for the show? So many questions. Actually Hendrix did a cover of it, Bob Dylan was the original composer.

Ellen's death was great too, I hadn't seen a show get that dark on tv ever. It was so depressing but it worked. I think as writers it took alot of guts to go with that New Caprica storyline. It took the show down a road that could end it, but they pulled it off. The show and the characters were never the same once they got off that planet.

Yeah the music from the original series is amazing. It has a great intro, just the first couple of phrases. Really gets me fired up. I'm now getting into DS9 and am seeing some of the same excitement in that series as in Galactica. I guess Ronald Moore knows what he's doing! Wish he'd tackle Star Trek again!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Lieutenant

From some of the stuff I've read here and there, I think people in hell have a better chance of getting ice water than RDM working with Star Trek again. Maybe with B&B not calling the shots it'd be possible, who knows?
The BSG miniseries was one of the finer pieces of sci-fi I've seen. I enjoy the fact that you don't just see Adama/Apollo/Starbuck, but also have the Chief and the deckhands with storylines. Makes it seem more than just warriors in space.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Ensign

Now that the writers strike is over does anyone know when season 4 is likely to start airing (UK or US)?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Captain

Season 4 starts airing Friday, April 4 at 10pm ET US on Sci Fi...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Lieutenant

^^ Finally!!! Woot!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Ensign

I watched The gun on Ice planet zero the other day, man what a great episode!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Lieutenant

Wrong series

Well, not 'wrong', but it's SO 70s! LOL

Last edited by HokieinSC : 02-23-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm looking forward to the new season. It's been a long wait but it will be nice to see Katee, EJO, McDonnell and the rest of the cast again. I hope Season 4 is a good season, since I was a bit disappointed with season 3 (Even though Crossroads was an excellent finale) and the second half of season two after the Resurrection Ship storyline.