The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Did Anyone here read "Collision Course"?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Commander

Default Did Anyone here read "Collision Course"?

It's Shatner's new Star Trek novel. It came out a year or two back, and it tells the story of how Kirk and Spock first meet. Somewhat different treatment from the film. Personally, i liked how they met in the new film better, it was more dramatic, and i liked the rationale for their meeting. Kirk cheats a simulator program that Spock designs. Anyway, if you did read it, what are your thoughts, any comparisons with the filM?

Last edited by chator : 05-14-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Captain

I read it when it first came out, and liked it. Bit once the first details of the new movie started coming out, it became one of THOSE books (THOSE = books that I would have liked to thought could fit in Trek canon, but now wouldn't).

Now that we know about the alternate reality concept that the new movie has taken, there is no reason to not believe that CC could be the way that Kirk & Spock met in the Prime universe!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Lieutenant

I'm reading it now- about half way through. It is well-written, but then that's what you would expect from Reeves-Stevens.

As for the story, in all honesty I just don't see either Kirk or Spock being as Shatner dreamed up. Kirk as a 17 year old genius who can outwit Starfleet? A 19 year old Spock reading trashy sex novels?

But, I haven't finished it yet, so I'll keep an open mind.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I'm reading it now- about half way through. It is well-written, but then that's what you would expect from Reeves-Stevens.

As for the story, in all honesty I just don't see either Kirk or Spock being as Shatner dreamed up. Kirk as a 17 year old genius who can outwit Starfleet? A 19 year old Spock reading trashy sex novels?

But, I haven't finished it yet, so I'll keep an open mind.
I just started reading it myself. There's that disclaimer that states this novel is only Shatner's imagining-Shatnerverse.

Personally, i like the way the characters are written. We see alot of the traits of O.S. Kirk in embroyonic form, Kirk is a risk-taking rebel adventurer/strategizer. As for outwitting Starfleet, there is precendent for this, in that he will rig the simulator for the Kobayashi Maru training exercise so that he can win the test. But its true, in TOS we never see him playing with any piece of ship's equipment. He's a leader, NOT AN ENGINEER!

As for Spock, I also like the way he's written, as a kind of neurotic human playing Vulcan.

I laughed at how they met, or ran into one another for the first time, in a bar-with Kirk trying to start a bar brawl with him-that might have made a better scene in the new movie than the bar scene we ended up seeing, that was sooo cliche.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant

Default Spoilers!!

SPOILERS......................................

Finished it- can't decide whether I love it or hate it!

I loved the way Spock kept feeling superior, then guilty for feeling superior, and then guilty for feeling guilty. And his amazement that adults were capable of accomplishing anything- so typical for a teenager. (I have 2 teenage boys and should know!) And the bar scene was hilarious- I had to laugh out loud. For the life of him, Kirk can't get Spock to fight- Spock's reaction is too funny.

I loved the dialog in the book, too. Very nicely done. Sarek and Amanda's scenes were interesting- keeping his human parentage a secret.

But, Kirk as a 17 year old physics whiz- or one of any age- just did not work for me, at all. You're right- he's not supposed to be an engineer. I could not picture Kirk as this kid- not even after seeing and loving the movie.

The whole stealing the Enterprise business...nope. And the ending- oh, puh-leeeze! I mean, really! The 2 ships hung up together? Mallory sitting by, doing nothing?? It kept going from bad to worse to terrible. The last quarter or so of the book was hard to read.

So, why am I looking forward to the next one?!?
It was fun!