The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Ways in Which Trek Movie Violates Cannon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
Ya, thanks for calling people on the forums bozo's...sheesh. And what the hell...I loved TOS, it was the first Trek in my life...and don't get all 'truefan' BS on me.
Then how can you so willingly accept these blatant changes, and complete disregard and respect for what was "classic" Star Trek. Is it enough that somebody presents you with a shiny new toy with the Star Trek logo on it, for you to accept it as good as the old Trek?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Ya, thanks for calling people on the forums bozo's...sheesh. And what the hell...I loved TOS, it was the first Trek in my life...and don't get all 'truefan' BS on me.
You obviously misinterpreted me. Full goose bozo is a Robin Williamsanism for "all the way". He used the expression in one of his well known comedy routines. And as long as this is a forum that allows it's members the priviledge to express themselves, I'll get as all 'truefan' BS on you as I feel like, dig?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Then how can you so willingly accept these blatant changes, and complete disregard and respect for what was "classic" Star Trek. Is it enough that somebody presents you with a shiny new toy with the Star Trek logo on it, for you to accept it as good as the old Trek?
I went into this movie with the mindset that it was a reboot, so I wasn't disapointed when it did exactly what a reboot does. This was a fun movie, I don't see the problem. It doesn't make me like what has come before any less.

There is something else at work here too, if the franchise was not rebooted it was going to die. The past couple of movies were consiedered failures, as was Enterprise. There was no way Paramount was going to invest the kind of money they did without it being a reboot.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Is this what all the fuss is about?!?!?! It's too shiny/new/ blah blah blah. Did you really think this movie was going to capture everything that TOS was all about? 'things look different' ya, it has to look different. It's the bloody 21st century and they updated some stuff and made it aesthetically more pleasing to the average movie goer.

They blatantly tell you in the movie it's an alternate reality. The writers pretty much did this to safe their ***' from canon and I'm not butt hurt about it. It was just some fun adventure that has no affect on what has occured in TOS's prime.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
You obviously misinterpreted me. Full goose bozo is a Robin Williamsanism for "all the way". He used the expression in one of his well known comedy routines. And as long as this is a forum that allows it's members the priviledge to express themselves, I'll get as all 'truefan' BS on you as I feel like, dig?
that's fine but you should know that the 'true fan' Bull**** is bull**** and pretty much makes you an elitist if anyone happens to pull that outta their ***. Oh, and ya, I totally 'dig' you.

Also I dislike Robin Williams.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Canon Schmanon.

The overly attached "canon police" fans are the very ones partially responsible for the near death of the franchise. Keep in mind folks, the creators and others responsible for the entertainment brought to us over the years obviously did not have canon up high on their priority lists. TWOK is based on a lie, yet it is still heralded as one of the best of the classic films. Put the manuals and blueprints and official this and thats down for a couple hours. Enjoy yourselves!

-JT
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Please tell me WHERE MonsierHood said anything about "true fan". Did he edit his post? If he did, that edited version made it's way into your quote of him as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Trek means different things to different people. While I am one of those people that think JJ and company changed wayyyy too many things just for the sake of doing so, I was open to a new look and an updating of sets.

I like your "shiny new toy" example. This is exactly what this new Trek is, just something to hold your attention for two hours and to get you to say "ooohhhh, aahhhhh....pretty and fun!!". While I enjoy action movies and I LOVE action in Trek, I have alwaysfelt Trek was more meaningful and thoughtful. trek made me think and that is what I liked about it.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediTray View Post
Canon Schmanon.

The overly attached "canon police" fans are the very ones partially responsible for the near death of the franchise. Keep in mind folks, the creators and others responsible for the entertainment brought to us over the years obviously did not have canon up high on their priority lists.
-JT
Its true that cannon wasn't the only concern, but I'm beginning to respect Berman and the team behind TNG and other incarnations of Trek on TV and film. They knew they were working with a legacy and history that needed to be respected. Sure there were violations like the Ferengi episode on Enterprise, but by and large, they stayed true to the spirit and themes of the O.S. They knew you couldn't just do whatever you wanted and slap and Trek label on it and expect the fans to gobble it up.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
It was just some fun adventure that has no affect on what has occured in TOS's prime.

THIS is what all the fuss is about! You just said it yourself. Many of us fans wanted to see a true origin story. Many of us were very familiar with the Trek prime universe and THAT universe is the one we care to see stories told within. This movie basically wraps an entirely different "toy" and wraps in the 40 year old tradition of Trek and tries to sell it as such. It is NOTHING like Trek, not to me, and NOT to many people. In the end it doesn't matter because the fans that care about more than action are not important enough, nor go to the theater in large enough numbers, to make a difference in Paramount's decisions. If the next movie is as shallow as this one was, then I will simply stop watching any new Trek Paramount puts out. I think many people will do the same.