The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Ways in Which Trek Movie Violates Cannon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Commander

Default Ways in Which Trek Movie Violates Cannon

Well, not really!

One of the clever things the writers did was offer themselves a way out. They get away with violating Trek cannon without actually violating it. That's because all of the events in the new Trek movie take place in an alternate universe or altered universe, or separate or new timeline. Whether this means the Trek history we know about got erased, or co-exists independently in a separate timeline depends on your interpretation. What matters is that the writers of the upcoming Trek films will not be constrained by prior Trek history in their development of either the characters or situations they wish to put on the big screen. This maybe giving themselves too much license, IMO. But had they not come up with this convenient explantion, let's take a look at some of the ways Trek cannon got violated. I can think of a few off the top of my head.

1. Vulcan's destruction-this never happened prior to the Original Series, in fact, there is a very famous O.S. episode that takes place on Vulcan called "Amok Time." Not to mention numerous TNG episodes that take place on Vulcan, like the famous one where Leonard Nimoy makes his guest appearance, "Unification."

2. Uhura/Spock relationship-Sure, there was some mild fliration between Spock and Uhura on the O.S., but nothing like the ear-grabbing scene where Uhura demands Spock to "Tell me what you NE-EE-D!"

3. Chekov's appearance-on the O.S., Chevok didn't appear as a helmsman until the Second Season, so what is he doing on Enterprise during Captain Pike's command?

4. McCoy/Sulu/Uhura inclusion in traditional series roles-same goes for "Bones" and Uhura, neither were included in either of the two pilots for the O.S., Sulu was absent from the original pilot only and was originally introduced as an astrophysics officer. McCoy's appearance might be harder to explain as a starship can only have one Chief medical Officer, but several rotating communications officers. Maybe it was Uhura's day off during the pilot episode?

5. Captian Pike recruits Kirk-I was recently rewatching the first season episode "The Menagerie", Kirk is asked by Comadore Mendez if he ever met Captain Pike before, he says when he was promoted to Fleet Captain. If he had recruited him into StarFleet don't you think he would have mentioned it?

Well, those are a few from a veteran, but casual Trek watcher, if you have others, I'd like to hear them. Submit them to this thread, if it gets posted, that is!

Last edited by chator : 05-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Spelled canon wrong.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

*sigh*
Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Commander

Polly got his cracker. Don't worry about it.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
Spelled canon wrong.
ROFL. I just caught that.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Commander

Man, I don't think you can count on your fingers and toes how many canon violations there are in this film, but the point is moot. Abrams and Co. have taken a new direction and set this new series of films in an alternate timeline/reality in which the old rules aren't rules anymore, merely guidelines. If I was asked how much of the original series basic premise survived into this series, I'd say only about 50%. I can hear Abrams right now saying that old Darth Vader line: "I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it any further.". That and the fact that STTFB is rapidly paying for itself and will doubtless turn a decent profit for Paramount says to me in a loud and clear voice that the battle for canon has been lost. We have left to us, the Enterprise, the Crew, The Federation, The Klingons, The Romulans, The Vulcans (as an endangered species colonizing a new homeworld, but they are still here!), The uniforms, Phasers and Photon Torpedoes (altered as they are), Starfleet Academy and The Creedo (These are the voyages....to boldy go where no one has gone before..etc.). Other than that, everything else is up in the air. In this new timeline, nothing that happened in TOS ever happened and most of what happened in TOS will never happen. We have yet to see what known characters will show up in whatever sequels are made. As far as the storylines and important incidents of TOS go, If I was asked how much of that is going to survive in this new series of films, I'd say only 5 to 10%. That is where we are, and unfortunately, the only place we have to start from. As a longtime fan, I'm not happy about that reality, but I've accepted it. It's the only way to go forward now. Now if we get a new television series based on events that take place in the old timeline, that would please a lot of fans, I was really hopeful about the rumors of the new series about Captain Ryker of the U.S.S. Titan, but with the success of the new movie, I now find the possibility of such a series highly unlikely. If we get a new series it will probably now be based in the new timeline, something akin to what they did with Battlestar Galactica, with lots of sexy female aliens and a woman playing Captain Wilhelmena Ryker and emasculated male characters just to make everything fair and balanced, you know, a modern T.V. show.

Last edited by MonsieurHood : 05-13-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

How is there any canon violations while it's in a alternate reality? ???????

????? ???
???

??????
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Commander

Quote:

????? ???
???

??????
You're not reading Captain! I said let's look at the ways canon would have been violated! And is violated nonetheless in the eyes of some fans. This film doesn't tie in with all that's gone on before. It either makes it irrelevant, or makes itself irrelevant to all prior Trek history. All that remains of Trek are the exteriors, the names, places, logos, and gadgets.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Commander

Quote:

????? ???
???

??????
It's one of those: "Is your glass half full, or half empty?" things. If you're a full goose bozo alternate reality fan, there are no canon violations. If you're fan of old school Trek, it's a painful, bitter acceptance of a shiny new version of what you thought you knew so well. For those of us in the latter category, even though the new film was a good film and even though the new timeline could possibly be every bit as interesting and engaging as the old one, it's going to take some time for us to adjust. It's like having your arm broken and put in a cast and the doctor telling you: "That arm will come out of that cast as good as new, but you have to wear that cast for three months, and then have six weeks of physical therapy to learn how to use it again.".
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
It's one of those: "Is your glass half full, or half empty?" things. If you're a full goose bozo alternate reality fan, there are no canon violations. If you're fan of old school Trek, it's a painful, bitter acceptance of a shiny new version of what you thought you knew so well. For those of us in the latter category, even though the new film was a good film and even though the new timeline could possibly be every bit as interesting and engaging as the old one, it's going to take some time for us to adjust. It's like having your arm broken and put in a cast and the doctor telling you: "That arm will come out of that cast as good as new, but you have to wear that cast for three months, and then have six weeks of physical therapy to learn how to use it again.".
Ya, thanks for calling people on the forums bozo's...sheesh. And what the hell...I loved TOS, it was the first Trek in my life...and don't get all 'truefan' BS on me.