The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Whu no Sam Kirk?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Midshipman

Default Whu no Sam Kirk?

Does anyone know why George Samuel Kirk (the brother of old JTK) is not in thee movie? I would have thought that for accuracy's sake they would have had to have had Chris Pine play Sam as well (because of Shatner playing Sam in Operation Annihilate) and being the image of himself (which of course he was). According to that gem of a website, Wikipedia, scenes involving another actor playing Sam Kirk were shot but were all cut out of the final edit, except one scene where James T drives his grandfathers car past (who is suposed to be Sam) but is changed to someone else.

This is my only fault with this so far, well, that and the shiny new feel to the spaceships and costumes - to then say that classic trek (my all time favourite) was the next step up is far fetched. I was of the opinion that ONLY Shatner could play Kirk, Nimoy -Spock, Kelley - McCoy and so on, but because JJ Abrams has been faithful to the original series and doesn't ride roughshod over the concept, or it's fans I am warming to the idea of other actors playing these roles (and if knew me, and my love of classic trek, you'd know what a huge step that is for me) because they have been chosen, in the most part (with the exception of Uhura, Sulu & Chekov) that is odd to me as the original actors who played them were young in the show, How can you make a younger Chekov than Koenig's version? and when did his hair go from curly to straight? Just a few things to consider, but I digress, where was I? Oh yeah, to resemble the originals in some way.

I haven't seen the movie yet because I'm disabled and can't get to a theatre to see it, I have to wait for the DVD release which is annoying to say the lesat, as I went to see STVI: TUC in full costume (classic of course) in London's Leicester Square many years ago and, obviously wasn't disabled then, but cannot wait to see this. I am curious as to why Sam is not in the movie when we have everyone else, even a brief snippet of Kirk's mom!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Lieutenant

from what i hear Sam and Kirk's Uncle will be in a deleated scene on DVD and Blu Ray

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Commander

Actually we was him.

At the beginning of the movie, young Kirk drives by, and shout out to, "Georgie boy", who is hitchhiking along the side of the road.

This is George Samuel Kirk, Jr., James Kirk's brother.

From what I can gathere, there were some additional scenes involving both of them and that car, as well as more Winona Kirk and the Uncle we heard over the car phone.

There are also some more scenes explaining where Nero had been in the 25 years between the Kelvin encounter and Spock's arrival via Lightning Storm in Space.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

When Kirk was racing with the corvette ...

... the boy he was passing was actually George Samuel Kirk (as you can read in the Novel).

I have watched the Original Version here in Germany - the dubbing Version names him "Jonny" (?) - haven't really paid attention then - but I paid attention when I was watching the original ...

Jimmy boy called him supposedly "Jonny"? (maybe) but I could have easily understood "Georgie" ... knowing from the novel that this was George Samuel.

... perhaps a native Speaker could clarify this.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Midshipman

I know that scene is there, seems Wikipedia was right for once And I'm waiting for the book as well. The only scene to remain from all the others shot involving Sam is that one you describe, I wondered if anyone knew why ALL of the other scenes with Sam were discarded.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Commander

The novel is nice, but apparently a late decision was made to change the kid's name after Mr. Foster was given that information. Credits back up this fact. Johnny is what was said, Johnny is what is listed and Johnny is who the now random kid is.

Simple ADR work really.
Johnny was a close approximation to what the original word was so it was substituted. This is a conscious choice. ADR isn't random like that, the goal is to make things clearer.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Midshipman

So why was there no scenes included at all if they were shot? all bar that one obviously - seems odd that they all ended up on the cutting room floor; time constraints perhaps?

Just seems odd to me that Sam was there to wave Jim off on his 5 year voyage as new Captain of the Enterprise and he's missing here.

Last edited by songbird27 : 05-13-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: missed the letter y off of they (it read the)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Actually we was him.

At the beginning of the movie, young Kirk drives by, and shout out to, "Georgie boy", who is hitchhiking along the side of the road.

From what I can gathere, there were some additional scenes involving both of them and that car, as well as more Winona Kirk and the Uncle we heard over the car phone.

There are also some more scenes explaining where Nero had been in the 25 years between the Kelvin encounter and Spock's arrival via Lightning Storm in Space.
In retrospect, I think it was a mistake perhaps to have so heavily cut some of that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Actually we was him.

I've seen it twice. And it sure sounds like little Jimmy Kirk says "Johnny", not Georgie.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

He was cast as Sam, and Kirk didn't say "Johnny". I read that was added later when the character was changed.
Spencer looked a lot like Hemsworth. They should have switched the roles of the two Kirks

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-