The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Working my way to making a fanfilm...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Looks interesting so far!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Vice Admiral

Agreed! Can you make Trek ships in it?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Vice Admiral

So, When will the film be released if you are doing it?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys.

Josh, as far as the CG actors go, I can at least make human and some alien people, and even the accurate uniforms.

Ships, I might be able to with Google Sketch It, but that's a proggie I am having to learn too.

I am thinking of doing fanfilm stuff for Trek...and I have plenty of physical ship models to work with.

As for a release date...well....I'm sure it's not gonna be in the next couple months. I'm still learning the proggies, and then there'll be the time required to make the screenplays, and the setups and all that pre-production stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Omegaman's right. It's a PC title. However, I can understand your question. It does sound like something that belongs on a Mac, doesn't it?

Yea the i made me wonder. Might have to check in to this software.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Martok,

Hey, I'm foresquare behind anyone doing anything creative with film/dv. I've been making short films for about three years now, and competeing in the "48 Hour Film Project" for the last three years running. (Never winning, but coming out in the top 4 or 5 for the region every time.) I'm just now starting to work on a script for a zero budget feature... so we'll see where that goes.

Good luck on the animation. At least you can continuously "tweak" the shots until you get what you want. I come from a stop motion background. With that, if you blow the shot, you're back to square one!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Several years ago, I wrote a fanfiction based on the original Battlestar Galactica from 1978. The story is a continuation called "Dark Exodus", and it tells the tale of Galactica and the rag tag fleet finding Earth in the year 2033.

Or, I could do a fanfilm of my other fanfiction which melds both classic and new Galactica shows together in such a way that it actually works. It is a retelling of the fall of the Colonies called "Galactica: The Last Battlestar".

Well, my dreams of doing a fanfilm are getting much closer to reality. I picked up Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 (a series of programs I've really enjoyed using because of its many features) but THIS version I could not pass up, because it came with additional software. iClone 3 SE is a 3D character model animation program, with which you can also create custom clothes/costumes, sets, lip sync the characters to recorded or texted dialogue, just...all sorts of cool.

As I continue to learn iClone 3, I get more excited at the prospects of actually turning one of my Galactica fanfics into a fanfilm.

I've been learning how to make custom clothing for the CG actors in the program...and I wanted to see if I could do a Colonial Warrior.

The default model even looked enough like Starbuck, so I just ran with that, and drew the clothes over his template. (The template is not nude...Thank God...but a mesh grid).

The uniform is drawn on in Photoshop, using the diffuse template. So, while there are nifty little details, this is very basic. I tried to even work in the Colonial Patch, but until I figure out how to align things a little better, that's gonna be a project unto itself. As I learn this proggie better, I'll be able to do things like adding in wrinkles and fold effects...bumping, in other words. I can also get other model clone cloths that might make the uniform look like a more natural fit, instead of form fitting like it is right now.

I just wanted to see if I could recreate a workable Colonial Uniform/Warrior sample.

So, here he is, the original Starbuck recreated by moi...

Whatcha think?
I think he looks familar but you have my complete support.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Looks great.
To say it with Jim Kirk: Go, go, go!

If I may make a suggestion, once you reach that stage, choose spoken over written dialogue if you can gather some friends to speak the roles. Perhaps it's just me but voices are even more important in animated TV than in life-action.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Looks great.
To say it with Jim Kirk: Go, go, go!

If I may make a suggestion, once you reach that stage, choose spoken over written dialogue if you can gather some friends to speak the roles. Perhaps it's just me but voices are even more important in animated TV than in life-action.
Thank you, my friend.

And yes, I do plan on using voices, as the program has the ability to animate the character's mouths to the dialogue spoken...lip synching.