The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Thoughts (More than likely Rants)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Melodrama.

However the last point you make would be a darn good idea to keep in mind in any event. Otherwise Galaxy Quest gets bonus points for underplaying its parody of the situation.
Actually, it's sarcasm. Melodrama is a guy in a black top hat with a long curly moustache standing over a screaming girl with blonde curly hair that he's just tied to a set of railroad tracks. There's a train coming and a guy in a Canadian Mountie outfit on a white horse riding up fast yelling "I'll save you, Nell!".
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
Sure he could, but why? I actually like it better this way; I was pleasantly surprised. Why? Because I can still have the "origin" be the one in my imagination - which no doubt differs from the one in your imagination and the one in every other fan's imagination. If he had done what you are asking, it would have disappointed many people - the ones who had imagined it happening differently than he presented it. And this is without his very valid point that, kept to the original, no one would ever believe any of the characters were in any real danger because we know they survive - we've already seen their future. With the new timeline, we haven't.

I like books, but they do not sell in anywhere near the quantity that movie sales do. But I should add that books do not necessarily follow the "canon" you evidently mean. Unlike Star Wars, there are no book nazis who force each book to conform to what was written in every other book - or conform to what was written in the show. If a Star Trek author had written a book about this new timeline (instead of the movie), it would have been considered as following canon because it began from a place within the canon timeline. Alternate dimensions ARE permitted within the ST universe.

For the record, I do not expect to sway you with my statements because I accept that your opinions, like mine, are firmly held. I am simply answering your questions and giving you the opportunity to show that you can reply without trolling or a personal attack (instead of simple dissent).

Actually you and everyone else are starting to sway me.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Good point about the writers. In the EW Star Trek issue released last week, J.J. talks about how he didn't know a damn thing about Trek while Paramount was begging him to accept the keys to the franchise. I think J.J. just did what any director would have done, handed the script writing to people he knew and had worked with before, with little knowledge that he needed to have specially knowledged writers for the task. It's a shame, they should have given the keys to a director who had done comic book film adaptations before and knew that they had to work with an existing history and legacy.

As for the retro idea, they had the same problem with the Enterprise
Tv series, the problem is that technology today is more advanced that could be imagined in the 60s. So, they had to split the difference between retro and current visions of the future. I think they did a pretty good job with that on Enterprise.
I find it ironic that a lot of the advanced tech we have today was inspired by the TOS Star Trek. Engineers saw that and said, Why can;t we have that now. If you go into hospitals we have beds similar to McCoy's on the Enterprise, Cell Phones even some that resemble a Star Trek Communicator. And Our Computers are a lot faster thanks to Star Trek.

I wonder if we would have made such discoveries with-out star trek.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Ensign

I grew up on the original and like many scientists and engineers now working, I was inspired to follow that path by Star Trek's (Gene Roddenberry's) vision of the future. I cringed through Voyager and some TNG episodes and every other movie. In ST XI I realized the vision has been destroyed by JJA and Paramount and traded for an 'action movie' comic book version of Star Trek. This occured mid way when I realized the main antagonist plot - rogue Romulan out to destroy Vulcan and Earth - was the same as the last movie Nemesis, even the ship looks similar with long spiky things to look way menacing. But then there is the "red matter", talk about comic-book stuff, and plumeting through a large planet's atmosphere from orbit without a hint of heating and burning up! I mean why have transporters or shuttle craft or escape pods when all you need is a space suit and parachute to get to the ground?! After three years a SF cadet becomes acting Captain and then Captain after one adventure tour in deep-space?! Even for a JT Kirk character this is beyond belief.

I then realized this was all joke on us TOS family by JJA and he has taken decent science fiction and turned it into a comic book to compete with X-Men or Spider Man. At least The Dark Knight had a deep layered plot based on real soul-searching conflict and good v. evil, great action and special effects. JJA could have done an action movie with great special effects and not gone to an alternate universe with time travel- old plot, gimics to totally destroy the known Federation "time-line" in the guise of creating a new avenue for characters. There is plenty of time and space in the "time-line" to tell the story of Kirk and Spock and the others.

Lest you think this is the grumblings of an old outdatted Star Trek guy, my son who is 19 and grew up on TNG DS-9, Voyager and Enterprise groaned with disappointment at the end when he realized what had been done to Star Trek. The ending comic book graphics of planets and use of the original theme music at the end credits says it all. JJA and Paramount have succeeded where the BORG and Zindi have tried and failed many times. You have lost us JJ and Paramount. It was all so unecessary. Enjoy your comic book. We hope you grow out of it someday.

"Watch all your futures die" The BORG Queen. ST First Contact.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticCore View Post
I grew up on the original and like many scientists and engineers now working, I was inspired to follow that path by Star Trek's (Gene Roddenberry's) vision of the future. I cringed through Voyager and some TNG episodes and every other movie. In ST XI I realized the vision has been destroyed by JJA and Paramount and traded for an 'action movie' comic book version of Star Trek. This occured mid way when I realized the main antagonist plot - rogue Romulan out to destroy Vulcan and Earth - was the same as the last movie Nemesis, even the ship looks similar with long spiky things to look way menacing. But then there is the "red matter", talk about comic-book stuff, and plumeting through a large planet's atmosphere from orbit without a hint of heating and burning up! I mean why have transporters or shuttle craft or escape pods when all you need is a space suit and parachute to get to the ground?! After three years a SF cadet becomes acting Captain and then Captain after one adventure tour in deep-space?! Even for a JT Kirk character this is beyond belief.

I then realized this was all joke on us TOS family by JJA and he has taken decent science fiction and turned it into a comic book to compete with X-Men or Spider Man. At least The Dark Knight had a deep layered plot based on real soul-searching conflict and good v. evil, great action and special effects. JJA could have done an action movie with great special effects and not gone to an alternate universe with time travel- old plot, gimics to totally destroy the known Federation "time-line" in the guise of creating a new avenue for characters. There is plenty of time and space in the "time-line" to tell the story of Kirk and Spock and the others.

Lest you think this is the grumblings of an old outdatted Star Trek guy, my son who is 19 and grew up on TNG DS-9, Voyager and Enterprise groaned with disappointment at the end when he realized what had been done to Star Trek. The ending comic book graphics of planets and use of the original theme music at the end credits says it all. JJA and Paramount have succeeded where the BORG and Zindi have tried and failed many times. You have lost us JJ and Paramount. It was all so unecessary. Enjoy your comic book. We hope you grow out of it someday.

"Watch all your futures die" The BORG Queen. ST First Contact.
Welcome to the club mate!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Vice Admiral

well JJ Abrams was allowed to whatever he wanted to do to Trek, it was Paramount after all.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
well JJ Abrams was allowed to whatever he wanted to do to Trek, it was Paramount after all.
How do you figure that?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Lieutenant

And why did you needlessly bump another five-month-old topic to say something that you already say over and over and over in every other topic?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Vice Admiral

end of conversation give over

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
end of conversation give over
What???? Give over???? What????