The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sequel Plot - Villain(s) vs. Exploration, what do you want?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Sequel Plot - Villain(s) vs. Exploration, what do you want?

Referencing the interview with the writers (linked in another thread), in which they said they were trying to decide which type of antagonist to use in the sequel, another villain (or group of villains) or something related to the Enterprise's mission of exploration (natural phenomenon, etc.) - AND that they looked online at what the fans were saying ...

What would you most like to see? Please don't just copy what you might have posted on another sequel thread (they probably already read it); add to it here or comment if you haven't already done so.

My own preference is for something mission-related in lieu of yet another villain (YES, INCLUDING KHAN!). I'm thinking if they want to tie it back to the previous film, there could be something set in motion by the destruction of Vulcan? Not another villain bent on revenge (how many have there been already?), but some unexpected physical effect in space.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Vice Admiral

i wouldnt do khan,but i am open to it,been done differently perhaps....
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Commander

It's easy to reckon that a well-characterised antagonist is essential for a good Star Trek film, but you only have to look at The Voyage Home to see that that isn't the case. The villain there can be summed up as 'it's big and cylindrical and it will kill us if we don't show it some whales'.

I'd be up for seeing how the new film deals with a less singular threat. Also, if the film doesn't have to spend much time setting up the 'antagonist', it leaves more time for characterisation and interaction of the protagonists, which I'd be completely in favour of. XI was basically 'this is the name and job of these people'. XII offers the opportunity to delve deeper, establishing more friendships, rivalries... heck. Maybe even go so far as an actual dislike among the characters. Wouldn't that be something.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Federation Councillor

I'd go in the exploration direction. They've freed themselves of having to follow what happened originally.

I say, use it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I would like something combining both exploration and a villain. Perhaps while exploring an uncharted area of the galaxy they discover the early beginnings of the Borg whom would be less advanced than what was seen in Next Generation and on. They would be more human than cyborg/machine. Perhaps even a hint of them helping V'Ger to evolve.

Or perhaps a totally new species or villain.

Regardless, they freed themselves to an entirely new universe of possibilities.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Sidebar - what's with linking the Borg and V'ger? I never totally understood that? Isn't Star Trek a big enough galaxy for there to be some mystery left about the origins of V'ger?

Why bring the Borg in?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisguy1 View Post
I would like something combining both exploration and a villain. Perhaps while exploring an uncharted area of the galaxy they discover the early beginnings of the Borg whom would be less advanced than what was seen in Next Generation and on. They would be more human than cyborg/machine. Perhaps even a hint of them helping V'Ger to evolve.

Or perhaps a totally new species or villain.

Regardless, they freed themselves to an entirely new universe of possibilities.
Ugh. No on the V'Ger-Borg connection. Star Trek Legacy on XBOX360 did that and it was an epic FAIL. V'Ger and Borg are to great separate arcs but they did not mesh well together in my opinion.

Klingons, Vulcans, and Romulans should be the key players in the next movie. Star Trek has many 'event-driven' segments that affect subsequent movies. At the end of Star Trek II, the testing of the Genesis device raises tensions to dangerous levels between the Klingon Empire and Federation that carries out to Star Trek VI, where it is finally subsided by the Khitomer Peace Accords. Where have we seen this besides Star Trek? Genesis is not unlike the development of nuclear weapons which began a long cold war between the Soviet Bloc and the United States and allies. Now, that doesn't mean that we have to model all Star Trek timelines after parallels in mordern times, however, it is logical to continue expanding on events as conflict begets more conflict. The Destruction of Vulcan is very significant, both in shear numbers of fatalities, but also that it marks the loss of the founding planets of the Federation. The Klingons too, suffered greatly; an entire fleet overwhelmed. Genesis raised fear non-kinetically, however this was a mass-casualty event. Everything we've come to know about Klingons tells us, they will react. Events this significant do not just get forgotten.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Sidebar - what's with linking the Borg and V'ger? I never totally understood that? Isn't Star Trek a big enough galaxy for there to be some mystery left about the origins of V'ger?
There was an old rumor (or fan-created myth) that V'Ger was created by the Borg--that the original Voyager-6 probe slipped through a wormhole, arrived in the Delta Quadrant, was promptly modified by the Borg Collective, and given a new directive to seek out and assimilate everything it could as the ultimate drone.
Quote:
Why bring the Borg in?
They're considered the only bad guys who can really destroy the Federation and some people really want to see that.

Not me, though...I'd be grateful if we never heard of the Borg again.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Ensign

Shatner wrote a book about the V-Ger/Borg connection, called "The Return."
Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Both of course. But, adventure movies without real villains (meaning actors or simply their voices) are next to impossible to make.

I thought about the 'angry Vulcan' thing but they just did that with Romulans. No Borg, besides they are far far away. No Klingons. No Khan. No Tholians (think talking 'Shadows'). No big-as*s ships. No planet-killers. No fleets.

I can keep going but when all is said and done it has to be someone new. I kinda like the idea of a rogue fed ship but I dont yet know what issue would make enough of a crew mutiny and then fight off another fed ship. If one cant be found I would skip it. Motivation is very important.