The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > When did you feel Kirk became KIRK?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Lieutenant

i'm going to agree with all of you. the real kirk to me started during the fight (cupcake), then he told pike 4 years, i'll do it in 3. who couldn't forget the Kobioshi Maru test that was fantasic. Kirk telling pike that it's a trap before entering Vulcan. but i think the 2 most points where we see kirk is when he gets back from Delta Vega and pushes spock into fighting with him(of course kirk already knows that he's captain of the enterprise a big PLUS), and when kirk and spock get back aboard the enterprise after saving pike and spock collides jellyfish with narada, kirk yells to Uhura, Hail the narada, NOW and that speech he gave nero before he died i thought that was really Captain Kirk.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Ensign

For me the only time I felt he had the mannerisms of Kirk was during the Kobayashi Maru test and right at the end in the final scene.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Captain

Three words indicated that young Jim Kirk understood and accepted his destiny: "Yeah, we do."
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I am not sure we will ever really see the Kirk we knew the alternate time line living without his father will change him to a point but Kirks essence will be there and was there even as Dare I say it a kid "I have always cheated death and pat myself on the back for it" Well the car scene was a cheat of death to me and set him up early as that even though he didn't know his own name
Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-CollinsTWC View Post
I personally feel that Chris Pine's character didn't start becoming Kirk until after he met Spock Prime. That was when Kirk started to empathize with Spock and I feel other people in general... up until then he was rather self-centered with the exception of rescueing Sulu from an immenant death.
Yes, me too. And you're right that it began with rescuing Sulu but that was right after Sulu saved his life. That was pure instinct whereas Kirk's compassion is a cornerstone of his personality. He even showed it towards Nero.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Ensign

That line where he says, 'there are only four of you' to the cadets.

I can see TOS Kirk doing that, the only thing restraining him was the uniform he wore and his responsibilities as a captain.

Kirk was a cowboy.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I think you're all failing to realise is that this is an Alternate Kirk, not only are you trying to compare the performances of William Shatner & Chris Pine, but also your own imagined uber-Kirk that contains all the things you like about the character separate from who plays him.

Your also missing the point of the advertising campaign that has drummed into your head repeatedly "This is not your father's Star Trek" and "Forget everything you know" - with that in mind, it's unfair to compare both the performances to each other, and/or to the concept of the Kirk character.

You should judge version of Kirk on his own merits, not by comparing him to previous performances or to some imagined version of an uber-Kirk.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There were many moments during the bar fight and academy sequences when I saw Pine laying a foundation for a character I could believe in as Captain of the Enterprise.

But my answer to the thread question, "When did you feel Kirk became KIRK?" came during the freefall sequences. Both times he calls the ship, while freefalling, "Kirk to Enterprise..." The first time he says it, during the approach to the platform, he was just a crewman checking in on the status of a mission.

The second time, after he had leapt off the platform in an attempt to rescue Sulu, you can hear both the desperation and calm in his voice as he calls the Enterprise. "Kirk to Enterprise! ..." This time he is not calling to check in, he is CALLING HER. The ship that is more than a ship, his destiny. He had just leapt to his own death to save a comrade, proving that he was worthy of her, and he CALLED TO HER to save him and his comrade.

Kirk to Enterprise. That was the moment for me.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Ensign

I really accepted him at his birth - not the question you're asking, but I did.

I was sold on Pine as early as the bar scene when he told the cadet to go get more people and then fight.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

This is going to sound weird, but there is a moment - only one, and I don't remember exactly where, except that it's somewhere in the middle of the film - Pine delivers a line with Shatner's halting staccato. Only that once (more would have been too much a parody), but that tied the two Kirks together for me perfectly. However much you associate that delivery style with Shatner, he used it so much while playing Kirk that it became part of Kirk's speech pattern as well. Having Pine use it a single time established that yes, this was the same person as the Kirk of TOS. And he never has to do it again, because he's already established that he could, and might, speak that way sometimes.

There are a lot of larger than life, rough and tumble smartasses in fiction (and even in my family - I was sitting next to one while I watched). That alone doesn't do it (although it is a necessary component). He needed that extra personality element that identified him specifically as James T. Kirk.

Interestingly enough, there was a parallel time when I felt Spock become SPOCK. It was when he rejected the Vulcan Science Academy. The look in his eyes when he told them what they could go do with themselves did it. Even though I never realized until that exact moment how much of a "kiss my ***" attitude Spock actually had (and I realized this in retrospect, that Nimoy's Spock had it too).