The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > When did you feel Kirk became KIRK?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Ensign

Yes, indeed = what martok2112 typed.

Hmmm, 2112 Rush fan detected.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Yes, indeed = what martok2112 typed.

Hmmm, 2112 Rush fan detected.
Oh, hell yeah!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Hereafter known as "The Kirk Smirk"
The look definitely has the "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am" feel.

I love it.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thought the scenes setting up the young Kirk that goes to the academy were brilliantly written. I particularly like the dialogue Martok referenced where Kirk tells Pike that he will become an officier in three years, not the four PIke had said.

In the fight scene and that scene with PIke you really see some of the core traits that make Kirk what he is later as Captain of the Enterprise.

The only thing this movie lacked in Kirk's character development, and I wish they could have at least done some kind of quick montage of scenes, was not showing any of his three years at Starfleet Academy other than the test. It would have been nice to have seen evidence of Kirk's intellect as well as his skirt chasing / bad boy in the bar side. I am sure the test scene was meant to serve that purpose but was really too comedic to have done that.

Iam not complaining because the movie was brilliant but that was just something I noticed and wished could have been developed more.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Midshipman

Yeah. it was the Kirk Smirk that did it for me, too. But honestly, I hope JJ keeps this Kirk more daring, edgy, and cocky, even if he does get his butt kicked more often.
Not Anti matter
But IS the catalyst of a truly awesome
STAR TREK
movie.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
I thought the scenes setting up the young Kirk that goes to the academy were brilliantly written. I particularly like the dialogue Martok referenced where Kirk tells Pike that he will become an officier in three years, not the four PIke had said.

In the fight scene and that scene with PIke you really see some of the core traits that make Kirk what he is later as Captain of the Enterprise.

The only thing this movie lacked in Kirk's character development, and I wish they could have at least done some kind of quick montage of scenes, was not showing any of his three years at Starfleet Academy other than the test. It would have been nice to have seen evidence of Kirk's intellect as well as his skirt chasing / bad boy in the bar side. I am sure the test scene was meant to serve that purpose but was really too comedic to have done that.

Iam not complaining because the movie was brilliant but that was just something I noticed and wished could have been developed more.
You bring up a great point about Kirk's academy days, and the lack of footage...with it largely being summarized by his performance of the Kobayashi Maru.....maybe we'll see a bit more of it in the director's cut when it hits Blu-Ray.

One of my irks is: I wish we could've seen more of the Kobayashi Maru simulator footage. We only got to see like two seconds of it. I wanted to see the new Klingon Warbirds in more detail. Everytime I go see the movie in the theater, and it gets to this scene, I try to take in as much detail of those ships as I can.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Ensign

***ALL SPOILER***

I must first state how well the others did (crew of the Enterprise). With the exception to Kirk, Spock, and Bones, there was enough wiggle room for the characters that the actors could bring their own, and I think they did.

Now Bones was great in the new movie. IMO, the actor took the character, and added something, without taking anything away from DeForest Kelly. In addion, somehow, it made me appreciate DeForest Kelly's Bones more then I had in the past 36 years of my life.

Young Spock was played well, but since the movie, I've begun to realise something. In a way, when an actor plays a Vulcan, because it is an alien species, they are all doing a parody of Lenard Nemoy (or some mix that included Mark Lenard's Sarek). For example, Tuvok from VOY. New Spock was done well, however, as I have stated, it was a parody that you let the actor get away with.

Now with Kirk, if an actor does a William Shatner parody, they belong on SNL. Kirk is a tough roll, I think the actor did a good job, however I think new Kirk felt like young Kirk, and did not quite feel like Kirk. By this I mean it felt like young Kirk, but did not feel like "Captain Kirk of the Enterprise."

Part of the reason as I did not see one good classic Kirk fight move. In addition, the Kirk of TOS clearly had some years under his belt. It may not have been as many as others, but it was enough. I'm not trying to state there was any problem with the quick promotion. Similar promotions have happened in RL history, Star Fleet had heavy losses, just because the Enterprise is the Flag Ship (show piece) does not mean it is the most powerful or most important stratigicly (demanding the most experienced captain / crew), and that ability has great merit. However, for every reason you can make that the promotion was fine, you must also acknowledge it changes the preceived depth of the character. The TOS Kirk, you imagine, when he took the chair, was one of the best Captains. The new Kirk is full of promise, but in the end, still needs to prove himself. You never felt that with TOS Kirk. TOS Kirk was the best man for an uncertain job vs hot shot hero with ability but now yet a proven captain. Because of the new movie's writers / story, the actor can only hope to get across part of the character.

The new Kirk is Top Gun. The Kobayashi Maruthe in the new movie came across as cocky, not defiant. In addition, and I hate to mention it, the swollen tounge and hands bit made me thing of Jar-Jar. Now in contrast, I did not enjoy Jar-Jar, and that part of the new Star Trek movie was funny, but for such a new story line, I'm not sure how I felt making Kirk the punch line.

Lastly, for the record, 1 movie does not provide a passing grade for any of the actors. Give me three movies, and let me see how they do (in addition, it is often less the actors and more the writers).

Last edited by thanis : 05-12-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

he reminded me of shatner durring the kobioshi maru test.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

He was Kirk without his father figure. He didn't have his father to teach him how to be a man, or how to rein in some of his more aggresive attributes. So his cockieness was more prevalent, as where his aggresive tendencies. He had all the aptitude and intelligence, but was a bit of a more wild child.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Maybe after he talked to Spock Prime and crapped himself after what he'd learned of the future.