The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Just My Thoughts (Possible Spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Ensign

Default Just My Thoughts (Possible Spoilers)

Saw the movie this morning starting @ 11:15 am pst. I have read everthing there was on the movie that I could so I went in already knowing the entire plot. SO now that I have and I have a little bit of time, I thougt I would post a few of my thoughts on the movie. There my be spoilers ahead so if you have not seen it yet, STOP READING!

Just to start off with, I am a huge Star Trek fan, not a die hard, just huge. I am also a huge Star Wars fan, just like Star Trek. So I can say this with complete bias. I liked it but I do not think it was the epic story everyone has made it out to be. It is worthy of carrying the Star Trek name.

The beggining was nice with the battle scene between Nero and the Kelvin although the conversation between the Kirks before he died, I do not think it would have taken place.
I did like the fact that the Beastie Boys were played in the movie.
James Siberius Kirk, why was this not fixed. even my wife who is not a fan caught that one.
Seeing the new big E on screen was nice. She looks to be a good modern represntation of the ship most of us grew up on. Although is off a bit in some places, I liked it.
Karl Urban was almost dead on as McCoy although he needed a bit of a country accent.
The Narada was a bit overdone. It look like a cross between the Scimitar, Borg Tech, the planet eating in the Original Tranformer Cartoon movie from back in the 80's.
Like the Transporter effect and the fact that they threw in the original sound affect.
I like the jump to warp but not the look while at warp speed
No cadet would act that carless during the Kobayashi test. He acted like a jacka$$. He was too much of one through the whole moive as a matter of fact.
Spock and Uhura, where did this come from. I need some back story on that one.
Chekov would have been a child during pikes Captiancy. When we first see pike in "The Menagerie" Pike was old and Chekov was still young.
I did not like the look of the engine room. It was too industrial for me. If you look at the engine room of most naval ships, they look nothing like that. They should have kept the feel of the Star Trekish engineroom the same or simialar.
The final battle where the Narada is sucked into the singularity was too easy. It did not feel like an epic battle between good and evil.
Good acting in this order, Spock Prime, McCoy, Young Spock, Pike, Scotty, Kirk, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov.
Great Special Affect. Almost everything felt real, atleast during the space scenes.
Good score although I would have open with maybe with TMP opening credits music.
We needed a good fly by of the Enterprise. As far as I know, we only got one slighty good look of the new girl.
Plot wise, it was a good story but it needed more of a back telling on screen and not in comic books.

Overall rating in my book, 6.5. Since my Bother-in-Law bought my wife an I tickets (10 bucks apiece), I would pay maybe once if he had not bought us tickets to see it on screen but only once. It will be watched again by me tonight but I will not say how since it is frowned upon in the movie community. Overall feeling, It felt like a Star Trek movie but I would not put it in my top 5 favorites.
by the clean end”

R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
The Narada was a bit overdone. It look like a cross between the Scimitar, Borg Tech
There's a funny story behind that actually.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Midshipman

Not funny I think
Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Ensign

And it is?
by the clean end”

Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikse View Post
And it is?
It was augmented with Borg tech. Not putting this in tags because you noted spoilers in your title.

Uhura was always flirting with Spock. I thought I'd hate the relationship but I was surprised to find that I didn't. Granted, I could do without it but it worked in context with those particular scenes.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Ensign

Actually no it didn't. I saw no need for a relationship story between Spock and Uhura. But since they did add it, they should have given a back story to it as to way they were together. Its just watching them kiss and not knowing why is what really bugs me, plus the fact that Spock was showing love at such an early time in his life when he should have been mostly emotionless.
by the clean end”

Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Ensign

[quote=Omikse;195257]
James Siberius Kirk, why was this not fixed. even my wife who is not a fan caught that one.
quote]

I think you may need your ears checked. I heard Tiberius..all 3 times.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Lieutenant

Its Tiberius! God its annoying when people complain about it
Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Ensign

I have seen the movie and I have watch the trailer several times and it has been reported that he says Siberius. And after watching the Trailer right now, he says Siberius. Watch his lips, they do not make the motion to form the sound "T". Check it here:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...rek-xi/trailer
by the clean end”

Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikse View Post
I have seen the movie and I have watch the trailer several times and it has been reported that he says Siberius. And after watching the Trailer right now, he says Siberius. Watch his lips, they do not make the motion to form the sound "T". Check it here:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer...rek-xi/trailer

I hear and "read" T...my wife hates Star Trek and doesnt know a thing about it. she says T too. dunno what to tell ya... and thats from your link even...