The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > What One Thing Would You Change?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

Ezri Dax was crap...
going with that oviously Jadzia which was not only a great name but a great person.
she had the third most gut wrenching death in trek.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Eris_ View Post
And that is why, I love the pre-insane Dukat. I would sometimes feel
bad for him when Kira was being a b!tchface to him.
Yea, that poor poor mass murderer not getting any love from the daughter of his mistress
Old 01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoW mAn View Post
Yes but the caliber of the threat was diminished in my mind when he went crazy. I think it was an insult to the intelligence of the audience that they had to sink to such a level. One thing Star Trek always did wonderfully was pose morally difficult questions; stopping the guy you've worked with in the past whose motives are complex was very Trek, stopping the crazy guy was a tired and lazy cliché IMO.

For example when Ziyal asks Kira if she thinks Dukat is evil and mentions that he had good reasons for doing the things he did when Kira mentions how what's really scary is that a sane, intelligent person can find a way to justify any act. That was terrifying and deep. But a crazy guy looking for revenge? What's so special about that? A threat yes but not nearly as interesting IMO.
Exactly.

But Dukat going insane in "Sacrifice of Angels" did not bother me. It's the stupid Pah-wraiths crap and the way they tried to turn Dukat into a cartoonish villain in the end.

If I could change one thing, I would remove the entire Pah-wraiths arc, it's awful for what it did to Dukat's character but it's also awful overall. And also all the Space Jesus Sisko stuff about the Prophets arranging his birth, which also made the Prophets look creepy and manipulative, while the show was inexplicably expecting us to think of them as Good, as opposed to the Eeevil Pah-wraiths. I liked the way the show had dealt with religion at first, but they really screwed it up by making it into a black-and-white Good and Evil story, complete with demonic possessions, and red eye Dukat wrestling with Space Jesus Sisko.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Eris_ View Post
And that is why, I love the pre-insane Dukat. I would sometimes feel
bad for him when Kira was being a b!tchface to him.
Yeah, how awful of her not to be nice and sweet to a guy only because he had orchestrated the oppression of her world for years, enslaved her people, made some of them into sex slaves while the others were working under horrible conditions in mines or dying of hunger and disease, ordered or was complicit in the mass murders of Bajorans, stripped her planet of its resources, and had his soldiers burn, poison and spoil the planet before they left it at the end of the Occupation. And then she is so awful as to say b1tchy things to him - shock, horror!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I always considered Dukat to be insane.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Rear Admiral

The thing I would have changed is that I would have started the Dominion War a season early and ended it a season early, with the final season being about Bajor's admission into the Federation and the power play between the Prophets and Pah-wraiths. I always felt that they kind of ran out of time at the end of DS9 and kind of slammed everything together in the final episode, leaving Bajor's status as a Federation member up in the air...
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Federation Councillor

That's not a bad idea - or even split the season and finish the main war arc with a big mid-season two or three parter and then allow the last ten or so to tie up those other elements and some of the fallout over the war.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Commander

The fallout after the war would have been really interesting, a good way to show what the female shapeshifter said, how victory tastes as bitter as defeat.

I understand why they didn't though, would have been much less exciting than the war climax, saying that I think folk are right when they say the end was rushed, to me it seemed like, how many story lines can we bring to a quick conclusion in 90 minutes.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Lieutenant

Yes they should of hac kept jadzia or just have the first few episodes of s7 dealing with her death and the aftermath of it,have her friends and human mourn for her than finishing the series with the end of the war