The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > $7.5 Million Dollar Monday Box Office!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if it does $50M in its second weekend. I have made the announcement that I will be seeing it as many times as possible in the theater, something I've not done since I was in high school.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
STs budget was 150Mil. Probably another 50Mil or so on adverts, but it definitely doesn't need to hit 300 to be profitable.

Yes it does. The studio's only see approximately 50% of the boxoffice gross. The theater owners get the rest. Therefore a $300 million dollar gross nets the Studio around $150 million.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
Yes it does. The studio's only see approximately 50% of the boxoffice gross. The theater owners get the rest. Therefore a $300 million dollar gross nets the Studio around $150 million.
You are trying to make sense out of Hollywood accounting methods. They are so mysterious it wouldnt surprise me if the IRS has psychics on staff to figure it all out.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it does $50M in its second weekend. I have made the announcement that I will be seeing it as many times as possible in the theater, something I've not done since I was in high school.
Well they'll be getting another $56 from me this weekend. I can at least guarantee them that much.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
You are trying to make sense out of Hollywood accounting methods. They are so mysterious it wouldnt surprise me if the IRS has psychics on staff to figure it all out.

You got that right! Don't ever agree to profit participation on the "net" profits of a Hollywood film. There are NEVER any no matter how successful the film is according to the studio accountants.

However this basic formula for how much of the box office gross goes to the studio and how much to the theater is pretty much an industry standard.

There are tweaks for big event movies like these summer blockbusters whre the studios get more than 50% the first few days but then many places overseas they get less than the 50% from day one so it all averages out over the life of a films run to be about a 50/50 split.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
This is the first movie I've gone and seen multiple times since Superman Returns...and before that, it was Star Wars Revenge of the Sith.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Ensign

The wife and me made it out for a second showing tonight and were STUNNED, to walk into a 3/4 full theater. It was the first showing of the day (4:10) and the parking lot has been packed all night.

We honestly weren't expecting many people there at all, especially now that the University that anchors our town is out for the summer...this movie might have some serious legs.*

*(and I'm not talking about Uhura's)
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Commander

Something else, I wanted to mention about Star Trek, it was FUN! It was kind of a roller coaster ride of a movie. Even Scotty getting beamed into the engineering (not beamed into engineering but actually beamed INTO the engineering!) was pretty thrilling. By the way, the engineering section may not have looked much like the engineering section on the old TOS Enterprise, but I must say that it looked much more like the engineering section on a real ship. More like a cruise liner than a naval vessel, but still...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Bigger, and more Explosions...

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
The wife and me made it out for a second showing tonight and were STUNNED, to walk into a 3/4 full theater. It was the first showing of the day (4:10) and the parking lot has been packed all night.

We honestly weren't expecting many people there at all, especially now that the University that anchors our town is out for the summer...this movie might have some serious legs.*

*(and I'm not talking about Uhura's)
I was surprised this past Sunday when for my second viewing I took my wife to a 2:20 pm showing. I knew that the evening shows would be packed and probably sold out but to my surprise our theater was 90% full and it was just one of two theaters showing it at almost the same time (they were staggered about 30 minutes apart).

That made me think that perhaps the Sunday gross might be better than the estimates and I was right. The actual numbers for the weekend came in almost $3 million dollars more than estimated due to unexpected Sunday business.