The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > $7.5 Million Dollar Monday Box Office!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default $7.5 Million Dollar Monday Box Office!

Star Trek grossed an amazing $7.5 million dollars yesterday, Monday May 11. That is more than Iron Man did last summer on the first Monday after it's release and is even more evidence that Star Trek has made that all important crossover to a mainstream audience and will continue to do well.

Last edited by notlad : 05-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Commander

Wooohoooo!!!!!

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

That's also better than Wolverine did on Monday, May 4th... by quite a bit according to Box Office Mojo.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Rear Admiral

It just goes to show how word mouth can either Help or Hurt a movie.

In this case, it helped Star Trek a lot, while it hurt Wolverine.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Commander

Ooh! When I went tonight the theater was probably 50%-75% full and I'd say like 3/4 of the crowd were people in my age group, between the ages of like 22 and 28. Very few hardcore Trek fans in the audience, just regular young moviegoers, most of which I would have never thought would be in a theater watching Star Trek. I mean, quite a few of them were athletic guys in sports jerseys who you'd be more likely to see at showing of Transformers.

But they came for Star Trek and weren't at all ashamed. LOL

They seemed to come in large clumps, like they all decided to get about 7 friends together and head to the movies.

Interesting that they picked Star Trek and very, very cool.

And this was at 7:30PM on a Tuesday!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

right now Wolverine is ahead by a mere 44.3 mill and loosing ground with Trek. Trek made a tad better than 2 mill more on it's first Monday compared to Wolverine.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Ooh! When I went tonight the theater was probably 50%-75% full and I'd say like 3/4 of the crowd were people in my age group, between the ages of like 22 and 28. Very few hardcore Trek fans in the audience, just regular young moviegoers, most of which I would have never thought would be in a theater watching Star Trek. I mean, quite a few of them were athletic guys in sports jerseys who you'd be more likely to see at showing of Transformers.

But they came for Star Trek and weren't at all ashamed. LOL

They seemed to come in large clumps, like they all decided to get about 7 friends together and head to the movies.

Interesting that they picked Star Trek and very, very cool.

And this was at 7:30PM on a Tuesday!
Your anecdotal experience is good news. The age group you saw at the theater is generally the one that makes or breaks these summer "blockbuster" movies.

For Star Trek to make a profit it needs to gross more than $300 million dollars so broad appeal is very important.

By the time the important second weekend starts this Friday ST should have around $100-105 million dolalrs gross domestically. Possibly around $40-45 million overseas for a total right around $150 million dollars.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
Your anecdotal experience is good news. The age group you saw at the theater is generally the one that makes or breaks these summer "blockbuster" movies.

For Star Trek to make a profit it needs to gross more than $300 million dollars so broad appeal is very important.

By the time the important second weekend starts this Friday ST should have around $100-105 million dolalrs gross domestically. Possibly around $40-45 million overseas for a total right around $150 million dollars.
Judging from the crowd reaction, everyone enjoyed the movie so hopefully that's more good word of mouth to keep things going, especially with the age group in question.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Judging from the crowd reaction, everyone enjoyed the movie so hopefully that's more good word of mouth to keep things going, especially with the age group in question.
STs budget was 150Mil. Probably another 50Mil or so on adverts, but it definitely doesn't need to hit 300 to be profitable.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
STs budget was 150Mil. Probably another 50Mil or so on adverts, but it definitely doesn't need to hit 300 to be profitable.
I'm thinking Paramount will be relatively happy if it just pays for its production costs. We still have DVD sales and toy sales to factor in too, don't we? That should definitely help it break even.