The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Older Trek fans on Simon Pegg
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I do not say this harshly, but I must ask, as I'm sure it's been asked repeatedly throughout this great forum:

When are people going to realize (as Horatio pointed out) that these characters are younger versions of the characters we knew that were the paragons of decorum in TOS?

These folks are younger, and more prone to emotional or eccentric outbursts than their older versions. And I think it works perfectly.
+1. Just as many members of this forum are not the mature confident adults they will (hopefully) become, this Scotty is not the mature confident Scotty we've known for years and years. He's getting there, but not yet. Give him some time to grow into it.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Ensign

I think some are missing the point. Even though these guys are young, you can at least see some hint in their character of what they will become in the future. I thought most of the cast did an excellent job of striking a perfect balance!!!

But nothing came across on the screen for Pegg reminded me of a future Scotty. Again, as others have said, it is just one movie. And it is just what I saw coming across the screen. I saw Kirk in Pine, Spock in Zac, Bones in Karl, etc etc. They made it thier own and were doing an excellent job of playing early selves. If others saw something I did not, great.

I am not saying ANYTHING about imitation. Imitation would turn this into an SNL skit. But at least a small part has to hint at the charcater that one will become. I thought most of the cast did an outstanding job

The Pegg character was fun, I just thought the least of the bunch in making me think that future Scotty was in there somewhere

Last edited by cliffsss : 05-13-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I do not say this harshly, but I must ask, as I'm sure it's been asked repeatedly throughout this great forum:

When are people going to realize (as Horatio pointed out) that these characters are younger versions of the characters we knew that were the paragons of decorum in TOS?

These folks are younger, and more prone to emotional or eccentric outbursts than their older versions. And I think it works perfectly.
One must also remember that these aren't the characters we knew. They are not only younger, but they are from an alternate reality. This is not the Scotty we grew up watching in TOS and the movies. This is an alternate reality version of Scotty. We're lucky we got a Scotty with a Scottish accent. He could just as well been from Germany or even the US. Anything can happen in an alternate reality. And probably will.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Vice Admiral

And for the record, I actually thought Pegg did pretty well. I just wish he had made at least one reference to "soctch".
Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsss View Post
Not that I did not enjoy some of the performance of Simon Pegg, but i thought of all the actors he least resembled the classic actor James Doohan.

I always thought Scotty was passionate, focused, and sometimes cranky. I do not remember too many outbursts like Simon had.

The funniest I remember is when Scotty tried to get an alien drunk and got just as drunk himself.

Maybe Paul Mcgillen (sp?) from Stargate would have worked better?

your thoughts
I thought Pegg was actually pretty good. His accent was fine, not too far into parody, though not 100% convincing either. His appearance was good and his delivery as well.

I was quite pleased with what he did.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:

Not just that but they are adaptations of Roddenberry characters. The same way James Doohan's performance and the other original actors' performances were. As much as people might want to throw stones at me, James Doohan and Scotty are not the same people. Same with William Shatner with Kirk, same with all of them.

This is still Simon Pegg's style of acting here. It's what I love from "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz". It's Simon Pegg's interpretation of Scotty, not an impression of James Doohan acting as Scotty.