The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Older Trek fans on Simon Pegg
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I took my roommate to see it Sunday morning. She is 60+. She is not a Trek fan, but she liked the movie, and oddly enough, she said she liked Scotty the best.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

He was definitely the most far afield. The way I've put it is "Doohan was able to do humor, Pegg seems unable to avoid it." Still, it worked in the context of the movie and perhaps we'll get some serious Scotty scene in the next movie that makes us remember Pegg can, in fact, act.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree that Simon Pegg's take on Scotty was the least like the characters in TOS. However I thought he did a brilliant job and brought a great comedic element that was welcome.

If they had tinkered extensively with the characters I would have been very unhappy but to take one of the minor regular cast and tweak them a little was just fine with me.

When you have big action epics with many serious things going on it is nice to have a little comic relief if it is well written and well acted and it was in this film.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Ensign

I for one was happy that Simon Pegg wasn't a perfect James Doohan. I'm happy that he wasn't trying to do a James Doohan.

Not because I didn't like James Doohan, or the original Scotty. Scotty was my 2nd favorite character from classic Trek.

The reason I was happy was that I was afraid this movie would turn into a big impersonation fest, topped off with an overboard nodding fest (nodding to as many Treks as possible...)

I'm happy to say this was not the case on both counts, and I welcomed this interpretation of Scotty.
Visit my gallery
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

A-CollinsTWC,

You bring up a very good point. The worst thing that could have happend would have been for thie cast of this film to have just impersonated the actors of TOS.

I felt like the writers captured the characters well and the incredibile young cast brought those words to life and the end result was our beloved characters were as they should be with the traits, personalities, etc of the originals (except for Scotty) but with each new actors own touch.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
I agree that Simon Pegg's take on Scotty was the least like the characters in TOS. However I thought he did a brilliant job and brought a great comedic element that was welcome.

If they had tinkered extensively with the characters I would have been very unhappy but to take one of the minor regular cast and tweak them a little was just fine with me.

When you have big action epics with many serious things going on it is nice to have a little comic relief if it is well written and well acted and it was in this film.
Aye...and honestly, I think Scotty had some great lines that suited him as the new (or soon to be) engineer of the Enterprise.

"Ah hear the Enterprise is quite the lookah. Ah'd love to get me hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the engineerin' parlance."

"So ye're from the future. Tell me, do they still hae sandwiches then?"

"That's the first time ah've ever beamed three people from two targets onto one pad before! That was pretty good!"

"Unbelievably, sir, we're in orbit of Saturn."

"Ah'm gi'in ye' all she's go', cap'n!"

"Well. It never occured ta' me ta' think o' space as the object that was movin'!"

Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
That's because he's not supposed to resemble James Doohan.
I understand that, but each actor carried some familier aspect and made it their own.

I just did not see any Scotty there. It is just my opinion and I respect those that disagree.

I am a old guy, so I am sure generational angles influence how we viewed the performance
Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Ensign

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
He was definitely the most far afield. The way I've put it is "Doohan was able to do humor, Pegg seems unable to avoid it." Still, it worked in the context of the movie and perhaps we'll get some serious Scotty scene in the next movie that makes us remember Pegg can, in fact, act.
I certainly loved the "I'm giving her all she's got" line :-)

Your opinion makes a lot of sense. It will be interesting to see how they use him in the next one

Scotty was a lot like the original actor who portrayed him. One of his hobbies was reading engineering journals.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Rear Admiral

They took it right to the edge with Scottie's little buddy IMO. Any more would just have been too much for me.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsss View Post
but i thought of all the actors he least resembled the classic actor James Doohan.
I agree somewhat. Not as bad as the match for Chekov though. The new Chekov didn't even have brown hair.

The new Scotty joked too much. The old Scotty ocassionaly joked around, but the new one was a down right comedian.

But there were more laughs over all in this film than in original trek. Kirk's hands swelling up for example.

The change wasn't jarring enough to ruin the show though.