The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > human vs God's Laws
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Oops, I misread the article, he wasn't a concentration camp guard but a soldier and involved in massacres. His guilt depends on whether he had a choice to oppose his superiors, whether they gave their soldiers some discretion, or not. I guess it is impossible to reconstruct such events, especially decades later.
Yup. Gonna be a tough one.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Are war crimes still war crimes if you win the war? Is not being held accountable one of the spoils of war that goes only to the victor? I doubt anyone was ever held accountable for bombing Dresden. What about the torture at Gitmo? General Sherman said "War Is All Hell". If those starting it and those fighting it were all held accountable - win or lose - than perhaps the race to victory at any cost wouldn't be so urgent and so horrific.
You're absolutely right. I didn't learn about the American cavalry cutting out the uteruses of Native American women as war souveniers until I had a Cherokee professor. History, and the law books, are written by the ones with the stronger army...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm assuming dead, since he didn't say that they were alive. Those smallpox blankets probably sped things along, right??
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Commander

I'll choose God's law over man's law any day. To start with, He's smarter than every creature in the universe put together. He knows what He's doing. It takes more courage (and faith) to forgive than it does to hold a grudge. Seething hatred, bitterness and revenge are the low paths, the dark side if you will. Forgiveness is the high road.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
A quote from my alltime favorite film, Apocalypse Now, comes to mind- 'Charging someone for murder during war is like giving someone a speeding ticket at the Indianapolis 500'.
But I think the guy should go to trial. If he is guilty justice should be done.
No. Killing civilians in a concentration camp is not the same as killing another soldier on a battlefied in the heat of war. Surely you can see that? Examples: Concentration camp - war crime, use of white phosphor in shells against civilians - war crime
Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I'll choose God's law over man's law any day. To start with, He's smarter than every creature in the universe put together. He knows what He's doing. It takes more courage (and faith) to forgive than it does to hold a grudge. Seething hatred, bitterness and revenge are the low paths, the dark side if you will. Forgiveness is the high road.
What are God's laws? Are you talking about gravity and inertia. Yes, they are amazingly consistant and difficult to break. Or are you talking about what's written in the various religious texts? All those books were written - and rewritten - by humans so they are ultimately man's laws too.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
No. Killing civilians in a concentration camp is not the same as killing another soldier on a battlefied in the heat of war. Surely you can see that? Examples: Concentration camp - war crime, use of white phosphor in shells against civilians - war crime
I can see that. It was not an apt quote.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

My suggestion is to educate her about what exactly happened during WWII. 6,000,000 people were rounded up and murdered. Many were tortured, and many were used as slave labor until they collapsed and died. A few were even turned into candles and fine leather garments... all because someone said, "these are not real people."

I don't care how old this guy is. If he had a part in that atrocity, then he deserves to be hauled before a court, and made to answer for his crimes.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.