The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Opening 15 minutes of the movie thoughts...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Omg! great film making here in this opening...

I laughed in that opening communication

Kelvin comms: It looks almost like a lightning storm....
Starbase: What you sent us doesn't seem possible
Kelvin comms: Yes Ma'am...I understand that....that's why we sent it (sarcasm)

Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Omg! great film making here in this opening...

I laughed in that opening communication

Kelvin comms: It looks almost like a lightning storm....
Starbase: What you sent us doesn't seem possible
Kelvin comms: Yes Ma'am...I understand that....that's why we sent it (sarcasm)
I liked the sound of voice communications in this new movie too. It didn't sound clean like in other Trek movies. It had more of a dirty, distant sound, like actual communications between contemporary ships (or hell, even emergency service radios) of today.

The best example of it was when Pike, Kirk, Sulu, and Olsen boarded the shuttlecraft for launch.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Ensign

Quite honestly, when I see the film again, I think I'll appreciate the opening more.

I'm almost surprised that I'm saying so, since my brain has been a-buzz ever since I saw the film Saturday night. And I enjoyed the pace of the rest of the film.

But re Kirk's birth, etc., everything happened so fast!! I had a slightly shell-shocked "What was that?" feeling.* And then, fortunately, I started getting into it.

*This could have come from the fact that I haven't seen Star Trek in ages, except for a clip or two. Or it's just me, catching up to J.J.'s rhythm.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Commander

It was the best opening to a Trek film I've seen. Spectacular, chilling, mystifying, emotionally-charged. Fantastic.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by C76 View Post
Quite honestly, when I see the film again, I think I'll appreciate the opening more.

I'm almost surprised that I'm saying so, since my brain has been a-buzz ever since I saw the film Saturday night. And I enjoyed the pace of the rest of the film.

But re Kirk's birth, etc., everything happened so fast!! I had a slightly shell-shocked "What was that?" feeling.* And then, fortunately, I started getting into it.

*This could have come from the fact that I haven't seen Star Trek in ages, except for a clip or two. Or it's just me, catching up to J.J.'s rhythm.
I felt kind of smacked in the face and kicked in the head the first time myself and thought the action and pacing may have been too slam-bam. A second veiwing was absolutely necessary. I couldn't even post on this board for a few days, my head spun so much. I seen it three times now and love and appreciate it more each time.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Commander

This was certainly the most emotional sequence I've ever seen in Trek, certainly on par with Spock's sacrifice in Star Trek II.

When that crew member was sucked out into the silence of Space, with the visual chaos going all around, you felt the impact of the attack.

And the sequence of George Kirk sacrificing his life for his Wife, Son and Crew, was absolutely heartbreaking.

I've seen the movie 4 times now, and it chokes me up every time.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The part of it when the shuttles are leaving the ship and all you hear is that symphonic quiet chilling score was majestic and haunting. Watching George Kirk prepare his ship and then the silence is broken by baby Jim was perfectly done IMO. Then that panning away to see the shuttles at distance and the Narada in partial flame,then the Kirk theme starting to play had chill inducing effect on me.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
The part of it when the shuttles are leaving the ship and all you hear is that symphonic quiet chilling score was majestic and haunting. Watching George Kirk prepare his ship and then the silence is broken by baby Jim was perfectly done IMO. Then that panning away to see the shuttles at distance and the Narada in partial flame,then the Kirk theme starting to play had chill inducing effect on me.
Indeed. A very stunning mix. Someone did their job right!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
And George Kirk's saying 'I love You.' as the ship impacts...tears well as I key these words in. God I'm an old softy!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
And George Kirk's saying 'I love You.' as the ship impacts...tears well as I key these words in. God I'm an old softy!
Indeed! and so am I
I loved that nurses eyes too...