The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > When did Star Trek stop being fun for you?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Midshipman

Default When did Star Trek stop being fun for you?

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's I absolutely loved ST. Prior to Star Wars, there really wasn't much else in Sci-Fi but TOS reruns. I can still remember having bed sheets with the original NCC 1701 Enterprise printed on them.

I didn't know anything about a timeline or canon. I saw the series through the eyes of a child for what it was: a big cool ship with interesting people traveling to places and doing things and that I wished I could do.

Then came all the movies and the spinoff TV series, most of which I enjoyed. But something happened after First Contact. While that movie was great it seemed that everything that came after it was just "more of the same". Insurrection for me was an unwatchable TV show masquarading as movie and I still haven't seen Nemesis nor do I care to ever see it. And ENT was a disaster. I tried to force myself to see it but only managed about 10 minutes max before changing the channel.

For years I really didn't give a crap about ST because it had lost me, it was stale, boring. And then I saw Trailer 2 (about 100 hundred times and still counting) and everything changed. I felt just like a boy in the 70's rediscovering why Capt James Kirk is the greatest captain ever and why the Enterprise is the greatest ship of all time. I went to this movie with more anticipation and more hype than even the Star Wars prequels and it didn't disappoint. At the end of the movie I found myself wanting even more....I didn't want it to end.

Spock says in his classic lines that "These are the continuing voyages of the star ship Enterprise"

Thanks to this latest movie, I am now ready to continue that voyage.
For those of you that don't because the "timeline and canon" have been ruined, I simply say "good luck"
Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Midshipman

you say "when did it stop being fun for you" as though that's actually possible
Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Midshipman

agreed....it never has for me. Sure, there have been some movies that I thought sucked like STV:The Final Frontier and most of Nemesis, save the battle sequences.

Even if the sequel to Star Trek sucked (which I highly doubt it will IMO) I'd still love it. I'd just chalk it up to one more movie I don't care for in the Star Trek series but that doesn nothing to sully the characters and the universe for me.

If you don't like the new direction Star Trek is going then I feel for you...I was afraid I'd hate it when I heard there was basically no story. While, I don't care for long drawn out scenes, I do like good drama and dialogue and rarely do straight action movies leave me satisfying.

I guess if want or need to find some hidden truth in this movie, you could take from it that revenge never pays off and in the end you'll be the one paying. I doubt that's what J.J. Abrams wanted to convey to the audience, but it's true. It's an action flick and since it worked very well, they're not going to change the chemistry for the next one. If it ain't broke....
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

When this forum went crazy with extremely long threads.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Ensign

re-runs
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Midshipman

I changed my mind....Broke Trek : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSOuLky3n0
Kirk and Spock...just friends eh....
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithtiger View Post
I changed my mind....Broke Trek : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSOuLky3n0
Kirk and Spock...just friends eh....
Hahahaha awesome. We're so going to see more of that in XII.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsideous View Post
you say "when did it stop being fun for you" as though that's actually possible
Amen!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Captain

Voyager was where Star Trek lost me. Deep Space Nine almost did, but toward the latter half of Season 2 it started to get my attention. Voyager never did grab me. Enterprise could have reeled me back in, but the Pilot shot that possibility out of the water.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Voyager was where Star Trek lost me. Deep Space Nine almost did, but toward the latter half of Season 2 it started to get my attention. Voyager never did grab me. Enterprise could have reeled me back in, but the Pilot shot that possibility out of the water.
Say it ain't so Saint! Voyager restored my faith in Star Trek after DS9 destroyed it. They were going where no one had gone before, they were exploring strange new worlds, meeting new civilizations, instead of stagnating on a starbase in the middle of nowhere, and pandering to a bunch of God-like aliens. I loved Voyager, it kept alive the spirit of Star Trek in the years before "Enterprise" failed to do so, and lost it's way to the whims of what was "sexy" and "modern".