The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What, exactly, do we already know is canon?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I believe I have canon evidence that is highly suggestive that they were not at the academy together. The banter between Kirk and Gary Mitchell in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" suggests long time friendship...yet, whenever Spock refers to Mitchell it is clear he is speaking of Kirk's friend, not someone he has been close to or friends with...I cannot believe that Spock, as attuned as he always is to how humans can be swayed, would not have referred to Mitchell as "their" associate...the person "they" know. Doing so would have cemented his argument in Kirk's mind...he didn't.
If it helps, from the Star Trek Encyclopedia:

2250 - Pike takes command of the Enterprise
2250 - Kirk is serving aboard the U.S.S. Republic, presumably as an Academy cadet in his earliest duty aboard
2254 - Kirk is a lieutenant serving aboard the U.S.S. Farragut, his first posting after graduation from the Academy.
2263 - Pike hands over command of the Enterprise to Kirk, who begins his five year mission in 2264 to 2269.

Here comes the math: according to TOS, Spock served under Captain Pike for "11 years, 4 months", and if Pike's command of Enterprise ended in 2263, that means Spock began serving under Pike in 2251-2252 at the latest.

It appears Kirk and Spock's Academy years coincide but barely so, likely less than two years overlapping. And there is no evidence Kirk and Spock ever served on the same ships during those years, since the Enterprise was already on its first five-year mission under Pike's command before Kirk even graduates. Kirk is still on the Republic when Spock is on the Enterprise.

The same would apply to Mitchell, who would definitely be too young to have served with Spock at all, since Kirk was Mitchell's Academy instructor, meaning Mitchell would be too young to have schooled with Spock as well.

Or something like that.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Tribble-

Trek 5 is cannon, allthough it is almost allways noted the parts Roddenberry had "issues" with.

Eliza-

I agree with you 100%. But I allways keep in mind this was a mid 60's TV show that wa meant to be seen 1-2 times and never again, so continuity was not the allways number one.

Well "Where No Man.." is atypical of the rest of TOS in alot of way (Of course, it's a pilot episode.) Spock acts very unusual for a Vulcan through it, but seems to have clamed down and gotten better brows since "The Cage."...lol

I allways walked away wth the impression from this episode (but it's never actually said) that this is where Kirk and Spock started becoming freinds.

But agree with you, there's no way they could have been at the Academy togeter unless Spock was some sort of guest lectuer or instructor. Either of these could work
Old 02-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant

Actually, I'm kinda GLAD that the books/comics/graphic novels etc. are NOT considered Canon, like they are in the Star Wars Universe.
It's just too much to keep up with!
ALTHOUGH......
I myself would love to see the New Frontier series be considered Canon. I mean, they even made a Captain Calhoun action figure
( I own 2)
I'm also glad 2 see TAS finally get some props
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Federation Councillor

I would like to see New Frontier done as a series or film. I own a Calhoon figure too. :-)

Being filmed seems to genuinely make you cannon.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Midshipman

I personally doubt the film will adhere to the pre-established Trek timeline. There will likely be characters and events that are familiar to the fans but I really am expecting to see a movie that has a timeline of its own.

Not a big deal to me though... the TV series have trouble keeping things consistant as it is.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Federation Councillor

I doubt even JJ will just start a new Trek timeline.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Midshipman

Not a completely new one. But if he think he has to shift events and characters around to tell the story more effectively, I suspect he will.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Federation Councillor

I would like to hope that the universe timeline isn't totally disregaurded.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Ensign

I could care less about April being the first captain of the Enterprise...I guess the general rule for canon is what has been seen on tv/big screen and the novels don't count. I would love to see the inclusion of Gary Mitchell, but if he is never mentioned I won't cry about it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I tend to agree that Abrams will tweak as needed to make the story seem right. If he derailed into a lengthy explanation of why McCoy is CMO as they head off when we know he'll be "off" for at least a while early on, it would just make our heads explode and those poor souls who haven't devoted endless hours to discussing the intricate details of Trek would be bored out of their minds......

I'll note that the referenced timeline above suggests that Kirk was on a ship as a cadet 4 years before his first assignment after graduation... That really doesn't make sense, does it?