The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Bringing back W. Ryder in XII ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Midshipman

Default Bringing back W. Ryder in XII ?

Does anyone know if there is talk of bringing Spock's mother "from the dead" (or netherspace) in the sequel ? It would solve the bizarre impression created by seeing Winona Ryder "hiding" in old-age make-up in the present film.

Now that I've done a bit of iconographic research, I understand that we were supposed to see Ryder without her old-age make-up in a scene that was cut and in which we see her with the new-born Spock. With that scene intact, we wouldn't have expected a happy resolution to her death, the way we do know. I.e. if we weren't meant to see Spock's mother as a young woman, the creators would have, logically, chosen a older actor to play the part... But they chose Ryder and only seeing her in old-age makeup makes little sense. In fact, it leaves us expecting to see her again, either in flashback or possibly in a "rematerializing" scene (thanks to Scotty's and Spoke's expertise in physics), but which never comes. Ergo the possibility of seeing that happen in STXII.......... ?

What do you think ?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Commander

Ryder was to appear at various ages in the film, but her "younger self" scenes were left on the cutting room floor

JJ may re-insert her scenes in the DVD version as he was very hesitant to cut them apparently
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Midshipman

Default Got ya

Indeed that makes sense... and if the scenes are edited back in, we'll get a more definate sense of closure. And we'll accept the reality of the new reality (a world without Vulcain) better.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Lieutenant

I am, sure young Ms Ryders scenes cut could be used in the sequel as Spock deals with a emotional issue trying to define himself.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Federation Councillor

I assume they will be in the DVD. If not as a recut version of the film, as extras.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Ensign

During filming JJ was praising Ryder's scenes and the great job she was doing. I was very disappointed when all that really remained of it were 4 lines. And I do think that Kirk's taunt about
Kirk's line
would have been much more effective to us if we had been able to see those scenes.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Ensign

"Ryder wouldn't mind playing a villain in a future film. "This may be the most female-friendly movie in the series," she said. "my character is part of that. The studio wants to make Star Trek more interesting to women, and if they come up with a good female villain in a future movie, I'm willing and I'm able.""
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Rear Admiral

Winona Ryder as Chaka Mai-Lynn Khan
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
Does anyone know if there is talk of bringing Spock's mother "from the dead" (or netherspace) in the sequel ?
I hope so. I really like Winona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
JJ may re-insert her scenes in the DVD version as he was very hesitant to cut them apparently
Hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
Indeed that makes sense... and if the scenes are edited back in, we'll get a more definate sense of closure. And we'll accept the reality of the new reality (a world without Vulcain) better.
Perhaps but I pretty well accept that developement already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
I am, sure young Ms Ryders scenes cut could be used in the sequel as Spock deals with a emotional issue trying to define himself.
I had a similar thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I assume they will be in the DVD. If not as a recut version of the film, as extras.
As well. I'd prefer the recut version, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
"Ryder wouldn't mind playing a villain in a future film. "This may be the most female-friendly movie in the series," she said. "my character is part of that. The studio wants to make Star Trek more interesting to women, and if they come up with a good female villain in a future movie, I'm willing and I'm able.""
Hmmm interesting. I'm still liking the Winona.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Did she escape??